Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks JCS, and Mitch. I guess what I am wondering is, what does the plugin do exactly that allows it to fix the flicker? There must be some downside. Is it doing something similar to the free fix... shifting frames, creating more motion blur? Changing exposure levels with layer blending?

It seems like a near-miracle fix that, for $150 and fast render times, would negate the need to every even worry about it for projects you are handling in house. But I am assuming it can't be that easy... there's got to be a "gotcha" with it?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Thanks JCS, and Mitch. I guess what I am wondering is, what does the plugin do exactly that allows it to fix the flicker? There must be some downside. Is it doing something similar to the free fix... shifting frames, creating more motion blur? Changing exposure levels with layer blending?

It seems like a near-miracle fix that, for $150 and fast render times, would negate the need to every even worry about it for projects you are handling in house. But I am assuming it can't be that easy... there's got to be a "gotcha" with it?
    The plugin solutions are much more sophisticated than the free methods. They look for frame-to-frame correlation (similarity), find luminance variations between frames in specific regions, then apply a luminance correction to eliminate or reduce flicker to those regions. Thus, there shouldn't be any resolution loss, and worst case with difficult-to-analyze motion, the most prominent artifact would be reduced/lack-of flicker reduction. Flicker can always be reduced or eliminated by doing (time consuming) frame-by-frame corrections. I haven't used any of these plugins, however I've written similar (real-time) code for subregion luminance correction, and can see how a sophisticated (non real-time) solution which tracks motion could be very effective in reducing flicker in specific regions without softening the image. Flicker Free can also remove rolling shutter drone prop dimming, which makes sense since they're looking for luminance variance. Certainly worth trying them out to see how they work for you.

3. Collapse Details
    So I picked up Flicker Free from Digital Anarchy.

In the background, I've got some LED christmas lights and they aren't quite a fast flicker, they're more a slow flicker.

The plugin doesn't seem to be helping and I've tried a bunch of different settings with the parameter. Is the flicker too slow for a plugin like this, or is there a specific sort of plugin or setting I need to deal with slower flickering of LED lights?

BTW, love LED tech for how its helped out video lighting tech. HATE it for how its made filming live events a god awful experience.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345