Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    With TV, it is all about aesthetics. What do you like? And when it comes to video monitoring, I tend to prefer buying something older with all the scopes and connections built in, as opposed to something newer and basic. But for color grading, I am curious whether getting a high end NEC from 2014 is any better than a newer midtier 10bit BenQ?

2. Collapse Details
    Ok let’s stir this up...

Projector?

JVC RS520 / RS620 with pixel shift, used on eBay for about same $3500 as 65” LG OLeD? Other?

They’re not quite equal in PQ but for a little more $$$ and a little loss in PQ, could double the size?

2000 lumens on a projector - how does that compare to OLED? Seems these would be for dark room only...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Ok let’s stir this up...

Projector?

JVC RS520 / RS620 with pixel shift, used on eBay for about same $3500 as 65” LG OLeD? Other?

They’re not quite equal in PQ but for a little more $$$ and a little loss in PQ, could double the size?

2000 lumens on a projector - how does that compare to OLED? Seems these would be for dark room only...
    I got a Epson EH-TW9300, runs for about 2000$ in Sweden now, got it last year for about 3000$, it is 2500 lumens, 4K HDR "capable" using pixelshift, it is plenty sharp I think since the problem is more having visual sources that is HQ enough to bring out the details. I use it on a 3m (3.28 yards) wide screen. The only real downside is the blacks (compared to OLED) but it really is the same level of blacks I think as LED, it doesn't bother me much. For darker scenes the auto-iris function is also quite OK, I can tell when it triggers/switches, but it is worth it for having "darker scenes dark"...

I would definitely recommend a projector over LED for maximum cinema experience. But as I said, having a larger screens makes bad quality sources worse, you "see" macro-blocking, etc more. At least if you will see a larger field of view when watching, i.e. sitting same distance to the projector screen as the TV...

4. Collapse Details
    A friend has spent €20,000 or $23000 on an 88 inch Samsung QLED, (not sure which version of Q5, Q7 etc) Firstly the size is staggering, it dominates the room and its visually very good. But for me at that price, it did not blow me away.
    Perhaps I am spoilt with a 65 inch LG OLED.
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vultch View Post
    A friend has spent €20,000 or $23000 on an 88 inch Samsung QLED, (not sure which version of Q5, Q7 etc) Firstly the size is staggering, it dominates the room and its visually very good. But for me at that price, it did not blow me away.
    Perhaps I am spoilt with a 65 inch LG OLED.
    I'd almost be afraid to mount that on just any wall!

I'd think for $20K, I'd wait for the OLED 8K. Or spend $5000 and get a Sony Laser 4k projector. But anyway, QLED at 88"!!!! pretty rad!!!

Was at the theater today, sat right in the middle, and that 2K resolution still throws me off. I was thinking I'd be old enough my vision should be fading... but alas, the jaggies!!!

6. Collapse Details
    When you buy this monster you don't get to mount it yourself, a team arrive to mount it and then they do display check in your presence. You witness the set is functioning properly and sign off on the installation.
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

7. Collapse Details
    That is pretty cool!

8. Collapse Details
    Just as I was getting excited, I think I may hold off, unless anyone here can speak into this.

It appears my 2010 Onkyo receiver with HDMI 1.4a will cause problems. No HDCP 2.2, no HDMI 2.0a for HDMI. Plus, HDMI 2.1 is right around the corner and it may be prudent to wait.

If I don't wait, it's $600 for a good Denon receiver or $900 for a great Denon receiver with support for the latest.

For my HTPC, it may need a boost too. It's a 2008 home built HTPC - intel quad core, 550w PSU, GTX 970. Sounds like I need a GPU with HDMI 2.0a and the 970 is only 2.0. May also need a newer intel CPU for some of the 4K HDR support. Not sure.

All in all, making the "full package" a pricier proposition than just the TV like I thought (I already have a UHD Blu-Ray and 4K AppleTV ready to go). I thought I could use my current receiver and HTPC for 4K HDR without issue, but it sounds like to get HDR support requires more investment, and for the receiver to not lock down 4K alltogether I need the newer system.

Basically doubling my ballpark ~$2000 planned upgrade...

Thoughts?

9. Collapse Details
    You’ll always have these issues. Tech keeps changing. Capabilities of TV’s keep expanding beyong watching shows and movies. I got a basic receiver for $10 at good will to power my speakers i got on sale, and running HDMI to my plasma i picked up In 2015 when plasmas went extinct. My system obliterates everything my friends have, and the whole thing was cheaper than just their TV alone. I got an Apple TV to make the plasma “smart”.

From what you said about your TV in this thread, you should definitely upgrade to something. Waiting for affordable OLED and standards to settle down could never happen. Meanwhile you could be enjoying a cheap upgrade in the interum. Unless i am underestimating your current TV iq and size.

10. Collapse Details
    With 4K pricing suddenly sinking perilously close to commoditization, Samsung, LG and TCL all announced next-generation 8K TVs at IFA 2018 in Berlin this week. Sharp has already started selling its previously announced 8K model in Asia and Europe.

While no pricing was officially announced on any of the new 8K models, expectations are sets will initially sell in the $8,000-$10,000 range. With no available native 8K content, and none likely in the foreseeable future, all three vendors touted the upscaling qualities of their new models.

“It’s the start of a new era,” pronounced Samsung’s visual display VP, Guy Kinnell. “We know 8K content will grow over time.” While obviously still in its infancy, LG projects the 8K market will grow to more than 5 million units by 2022.

On the audio side of the market, the expansion of the “smart” voice-enabled speaker market continues, with Netgear and Harman Kardon combining on a networked smart speaker, while Sony unveiled a new Google Assistant-integrated party Bluetooth speaker and new noise cancelling headphones soon-to-be-imbued with Amazon Alexa.

8K Is On Its Way

Just as 4K TVs offer four times the pixels of 2K HD, 8K again quadruples the number of pixels from eight in 4K to a whopping 33 million (7680 x 4320), producing a stunning near-real image, especially from native 8K content.

Samsung seems the most aggressive in its 8K offerings, unveiling four sizes of its QLED ultra Ultra HD sets: 85- , 82- , 75- and 65-inch versions. According to a Samsung spokesperson, the 85-inch will be available globally in November, the 82-inch in Europe and selected other markets, both priced at $10,000-plus, and the 75- and 65-inch sets will start shipping globally in October.

Samsung’s full-array quantum dot sets will offer 4,000-nit brightness and meet 100 percent color volume certification from VDE, will feature HDR10+ and an upscaling quantum processor capable of intelligently optimizes content upscaling “from any resolution,” according to Kinnell. In its IFA booth – and presumably in its upcoming CES space – the company will be demonstrating upscaling from a variety of sources and resolutions.

LG’s plans for its 88-inch 8K OLED model are a bit vaguer; the company did not reveal when or how much, or even a model number. But the company is clearly hoping to couple 8K and OLED to continue to perpetuate a more profitable premium market.
    TCL was more specific about its plans for its 75-inch quantum dot 8K set, a special FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Edition, which measures a mere 20mm at its thinnest point. No pricing was revealed, however. The FIBA 8K set will include an integrated Dolby Atmos Onkyo smart soundbar with Google Assistant, which can provide voice information and home control even if the set is off.
    https://www.twice.com/product/ifa-20...samsung-lg-tcl

It looks like 4K prices will drop when they start shipping 8K TVs.
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000, RX10 III, a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtlδnder Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234