Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Meanwhile I still watch my TV/movies on my 20" PC screen.... :-(

Nooooooooooooooooooo.........!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    There are more factors in choosing a TV. Size matters. Brightness matters in certain rooms. Quality of the content matters. And price matters. Wish there were cheap 100" OLED's. Wish there was 10bit content with universal standardization. As far as inky blacks go, I do not believe it matters unless you can control the light in the room. There are a lot of bad LED tv's out there, so I would never say any LED is good enough, there are only a few that can compete, and only then in a room with more ambient light. The 2018 QLED's are pretty interesting, and the 2017's are definitively more bright than OLED. One of the issues I have with OLED, while inky black is nice for certain things, it just isn't necessary for everything once you realize how rarely anything is devoid of any light. OLED's are pretty though. Based purely on image quality, in a controlled environment, nothing really compares to OLED.
    Obviously, you are right about the ambient light levels in the room you are watching in, but I don't think brightness levels of any modern TV should be of concern. Most TV's are way too bright anyway. I believe on my OLED, I use the ISF DARK ROOM picture profile as the base and then adjusted from there(bringing down color sat, brightness, etc.) and it still is very bright. I'd be more worried about controlling reflections on the screen.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Obviously, you are right about the ambient light levels in the room you are watching in, but I don't think brightness levels of any modern TV should be of concern. Most TV's are way too bright anyway. I believe on my OLED, I use the ISF DARK ROOM picture profile as the base and then adjusted from there(bringing down color sat, brightness, etc.) and it still is very bright. I'd be more worried about controlling reflections on the screen.
    If absolute dark inky black shadows is the main criteria for a new TV, there is only OLED. Not even a movie theater has the black levels an OLED has... Yet, I still prefer a Theater experience over a ~60" OLED for an immersive feel. Because absolute darkness is not needed for vision (it is the antithesis of vision, hehe), but screen size above 80" is important to filling the field of vision and making an engrossing image. Again, no one is going to argue how pretty OLED is, but there is a lot of FOMO hifi hype around these things that just isn't really rational.

There are so many other factors for displaying media, that still fall short.

- motion judder
    - handling of highlights
    - artifacts in displaying compressed content
    - color banding (both from the TV, and the content) and posterization
    - uprezzing artifacts
    - burn in (not sure if this is an issue for OLED)
    - uneven tone across the screen

All TV's and most content seem to display these annoying artifacts in some form. So, I am just not worried about spending $9K on a TV that I'll not like in 3yrs because someone invented an affordable true 12bit+ display, or whatever. In the meantime, I go for what is important given the function of the room or intended viewing experience.

For me it is like microphones, the noise floor doesn't have to be zero, the over all feel and characteristics of the microphone are more important. But for a lot of people, there is always going to be that bug in their ear reminding them an OLED has a better image, and if someone gets that bug, then there is only OLED. After all, they are gorgeous displays.

I look forward to further improvements in display tech. Cameras too, of course. It would be nice if cameras and TV's got really good before VR and holograms or something takes over. haha.

Context, here is Steve Martin when he was a kid, with probably an alright TV for the time...
    IMG_4425.jpg
    Last edited by James0b57; 06-12-2018 at 12:42 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Any TV you buy now can "out perform" the media being shown on it from cable, satellite or over the air, for sure. I have DIRECTV and it's horrible. Always has been. You just kind of tune it out eventually(but not really. It just becomes "normal". Kind of like how bad Sirius actually sounds). Here's a test: watch a show on DIRECTV and then watch the same show via a quality streaming service(even DIRECTV streaming) and it's MUCH better. Sharper. More detailed. Less banding. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Obviously, I'm a proponent of OLED. I've been using it for years on the professional side since the Sony 1741 17" OLED display was introduced. All it took was setting it up next to my Panasonic 17" and 9"(which is still one of the best LCD monitors I've seen)and feeding them all from my VariCam and looking at them. I ordered one the next day. I currently have three professional OLED monitors and two OLED VF's.

But in a home theater experience, you do need your field of vision filled and you either accomplish that with a huge display, sitting close to the display or a combination of the two. And right now, it's very hard to accomplish getting a very large screen affordably in OLED. So as much as I think that's where the bar is with image quality, it's doubtful that I'll have one in my den anytime soon, considering 92" is the current benchmark.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    There are more factors in choosing a TV. Size matters. Brightness matters in certain rooms. Quality of the content matters. And price matters. Wish there were cheap 100" OLED's. Wish there was 10bit content with universal standardization. As far as inky blacks go, I do not believe it matters unless you can control the light in the room. There are a lot of bad LED tv's out there, so I would never say any LED is good enough, there are only a few that can compete, and only then in a room with more ambient light. The 2018 QLED's are pretty interesting, and the 2017's are definitively more bright than OLED. One of the issues I have with OLED, while inky black is nice for certain things, it just isn't necessary for everything once you realize how rarely anything is devoid of any light. OLED's are pretty though. Based purely on image quality, in a controlled environment, nothing really compares to OLED.
    Of course, OLEDs are akin to projectors in that they need a darker room (compared to LEDs). The thing is when I decide to watch a movie, I decide to darken the room, even if I have LED TV, I basically don't need a "bright" TV. To me it just becomes such a more enjoyable experience/immersion when the screen is creating all the light (and the black parts are devoid of it), I would argue it is more immersive than 3D, and the improved contrast even creates a bigger sense of depth. Maybe not so much on smaller screens, but when I was a NAB 3 years ago I got to watch a projector in 4K that was basically as good as OLED, and it was in the million dollar range I believe it really did improve the 3D-aspect in terms of depth. The improvement in depth isn't really something I would dish out lots of money for, but it is just one of the benefits of having "pure blacks".

The only real problem with larger screens is making them fit into cars/elevators...

6. Collapse Details
    Sounds like I'd be better off either buying

(A) a 2017 65" OLED model at black friday for a great deal (quality)
    (B) a 75"+ LED LCD screen for a similar price (size)

and...

1 *Not* waiting for 75"-80" OLED panels to come down dramatically in price in the next 1-2 years... cause it may be quite a while until large OLED panels are reasonably priced
    2 *Not* investing too heavily in a top-notch OLED panel @ 65", because that doesn't meet optimal size, better off just "going big" price wise on a screen when OLED and Size align and until then limiting the budget to around ~$2k-ish for a large screen panel

...?

With that in mind, would you say this is an optimal time to buy (great quality LED LCD screens, at large sizes, for low prices, due to the introduction of OLED), or a poor time to buy (brand new screen tech on the horizon, that is substantially better, and will be dropping rapidly in price while increasing in size).

Again, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. But I *AM* at that point where I feel ready-ish, and know that waiting 3-4 years is too long. I can wait a year. I *could* wait 1.5-2 years. But I am ready this year if a "way better time to buy" is not just around the corner by late 2019/early 2020. A larger screen, even if 10", plus 4K/HDR would be nice, afterall...

7. Collapse Details
    I don't know what would be best for you, but I can tell you what I did: I went for big instead of great and bought a the cheapest 75" non-4k available at the time, a Sony LED TV (KDL75W855C). I know OLED looks great, and I know this particular model has the worst image quality on its class (colors are fine, motion is fine, but it has horrible spacial uniformity, very easy to see in big bright areas, it's as if the surface was dirty), but I'm happy with it: the price was good, and I'm in no hurry (my next TV will be 100" and 4k and OLED an whatnot, but that's 2022 at the least).

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Sounds like I'd be better off either buying

(A) a 2017 65" OLED model at black friday for a great deal (quality)
    (B) a 75"+ LED LCD screen for a similar price (size)

and...

1 *Not* waiting for 75"-80" OLED panels to come down dramatically in price in the next 1-2 years... cause it may be quite a while until large OLED panels are reasonably priced
    2 *Not* investing too heavily in a top-notch OLED panel @ 65", because that doesn't meet optimal size, better off just "going big" price wise on a screen when OLED and Size align and until then limiting the budget to around ~$2k-ish for a large screen panel

...?

With that in mind, would you say this is an optimal time to buy (great quality LED LCD screens, at large sizes, for low prices, due to the introduction of OLED), or a poor time to buy (brand new screen tech on the horizon, that is substantially better, and will be dropping rapidly in price while increasing in size).

Again, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. But I *AM* at that point where I feel ready-ish, and know that waiting 3-4 years is too long. I can wait a year. I *could* wait 1.5-2 years. But I am ready this year if a "way better time to buy" is not just around the corner by late 2019/early 2020. A larger screen, even if 10", plus 4K/HDR would be nice, afterall...
    I would say, if you watch movies/series in broad daylight then go for the LED 75, because OLEDs aren't as bright and you don't benefit as much from deep blacks in a lighter room, but if you have a cave when you watch take the OLED 65.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by captslomo View Post
    You ask many questions, but you already know the answers.
    Have to bring this one back. ^

OLED 65"

10. Collapse Details
    If tv's were cameras:

OLED is Arri Alexa

CLED is Red

QLED is Varicam 35

LED is Black Magic

Projection is Film

;)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast