1. Collapse Details
    Vello auto adapter - Nikon to E-mount for FS5
    Question
    I have some good Nikon ES lenses that I'd like to use with my FS5m2. I'd also like to retain the image stabilization functionality of said lenses. I bought a Vello LAE-SE-NFV5 adapter because my lenses were listed in their compatability chart. However, I didn't realize that the charts focused on the Sony mirrorless bodies and don't list the FS5. So I checked with Vello's tech support and they said that the adapter will send through auto-exposure but definitely not auto focus. It'd be nice to use push auto, but no big loss. Like I said, the real reason I bought the adapter is to maintain image stabilization. Their tech support didn't have any info on whether or not image stabilization will work on the FS5m2.

Is anyone using this (or the rebranded equivalents) on their FS5, and can you confirm whether it retains image stabilization? Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Vello tech said he thinks image stabilization data will pass through to the FS5, but he can't confirm as they specifically designed this adapter for the Sony mirrorless bodies. I'm going to see if a rental place will let me pop this on an FS5 to test.

3. Collapse Details
    I purchased this adapter twice. I think V4 then I tried V5. I read on B&H reviews that it worked with the FS5 on IS/VC/OS pass through. So I gave it a try (Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC mk1/mk2 and it didn't work on my FS7. There's a chance it works on the FS5 but not on the 7.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Babu. I think I'm going to have to return the Vello and get a dumb adapter, either the Speed Booster or the Novoflex. I didn't see reports of this with the Vello, but this adapter is a rebrand of the Commlite. Another rebrand of the Commlite is a FotodioX, and one of those branded versions of this adapter has a few user reports of the adapter bricking their camera. Perhaps the newer firmware versions have resolved that, but I don't want to take that risk.

Speaking of FotodioX, I saw the top review at B&H said of their dumb adapter that with their A7III, "One cannot shoot in raw." I don't understand, does shooting in raw specifically require exif data from the lens? Can someone enlighten me?

5. Collapse Details
    Not sure if anyone is interested, but one of the high-end Vello/Nikon adapters appears to be $300 off in the Deal Zone:

$99.95 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_lens_to.html

[The Canon version is $400 off for the same $99.95 price.]

6. Collapse Details
    FS5m2 arrived earlier than expected and I decided to at least test out the adapter. It works fine without any unexpected issues or instability. No autofocus, can manually adjust F/Stop via camera body dials, passes along VR/IS data, and that's basically what I was looking for. Prime lens still allows Steady Shot, zooms do not. Vello tech support was very prompt in answering a myriad of questions, but did evade some such as whether or not I will be able to update to future firmware with the FS5 body since the adapter doesn't have a USB port (Vello tech support said they only test/designed for Sony mirrorless so they have no FS5/7's for testing). Returning this to exchange for a Speedbooster Ultra would have given me advantages to my 35mm prime and wider zoom ($1500 combined value), but prevented me from using my longer focal length lens ($2400 value), and it would have added another $80 of cost. The prime lens does exhibit strong purple and green fringing on shots with extreme backlighting, but it's only a $500 prime, and could be due to the flange differentiation from adaptation in general.