Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2018 Cine Gear Expo
    Headed to Cine Gear today & most likely again tomorrow.

According to Geoff Boyle the Expo is going to be spread out more than usual, & harder to take in. He also thinks the exhibit should last longer than 1.5 days.

https://cinematography.net/CineRant/...d-exhibitions/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I wish it weren't in June. It's right when production season AND outdoor season are ramping up... last year I ended up not being able to go because I was in the midst of shooting a feature, and this year I'm going on a mountaineering trip. (And a friend's wedding. It's that season, too.)

3. Collapse Details
    Be there tomorrow!

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks

4. Collapse Details
    Just got back and it was my first time going. It's a nice event, though it was more crowded than I expected.

The oddest thing was seeing all these people I've come to know from Youtube: Ted from Aputure, Alister Chapman, the Zacuto guys, Nino from Cinema5D, and a few other camera bloggers I know by face but not by name.

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Spent the day there and saw pretty much all of it. Yes, the stages are further away than usual from the outdoor exhibits but thats the nature of having it on a working studio lot, things are going to change depending on availability.

May make a re-appearance tomorrow for social reasons, primarily,
    Charles Papert

6. Collapse Details
    Going today for the first time. Expecting the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hoju View Post
    Just got back and it was my first time going. It's a nice event, though it was more crowded than I expected.

The oddest thing was seeing all these people I've come to know from Youtube: Ted from Aputure, Alister Chapman, the Zacuto guys, Nino from Cinema5D, and a few other camera bloggers I know by face but not by name.

7. Collapse Details
    Like Charles, I went yesterday, & saw most everything.

Primarily go to look for innovations in lighting, but nothing stood out, mostly just iterations of what’s already on the market.

8. Collapse Details
    I went Friday. I was underwhelmed by the Sony Venice presser, do Sony and Cameron think that 3D is still a thing? Maybe worldwide, for Avatar movies it is (Chinese market?) but the numbers for domestic theatrical show that 3D is such a niche. I was hoping they were going to annouce a new camera, perhaps something to replace the F5? Above the FS7 MKII but below the F55/Venice. Met Erik Naso and had a nice conversation with him, he is quite an amazing guy with the amount of reviews and writing/videos he does. Met some others I knew, saw a very impressive drone, the XM-2, that is HUGE, can carry a Panavision Millenium (Or Arri 65/LF) with Panavision's new 24-70 FF lens that has FIZ controls built into the lens housing. The drone is not legal to use in the US as it's larger than 55lbs and it's always cool to see something our government has deemed too dangerous for us to use. Talked with Kino about their retrofit kits for 4 Bank and Image 80 owners to turn their lights into LEDs. The buzz at the show was predictably FF. That's really all anyone talked about. As far as the film industry is concerned, S35 is passe', kind of funny that the gear push is so transparently predictable. We all need new cameras, new lenses, bigger support to work with FF! Oh brother.

Unfortunately, nothing new from Canon, BMD, Panasonic which was very different than last years show. I will say CineGear, for most of us here, is better than NAB. People are nicer, it's a much more focused show and it's fun to wander around the Paramount lot. I agree with that Bern wrote, really nothing new or groundbreaking here, the industry is sort of idling other than the FF push, which is solely to sell new gear, not to really innovate. For those of us who are not so easily swayed to spend money on a backward technology, there will be some amazing deals on the market in the next year from users who HAVE to go FF and will be dumping their S35 cameras and lenses at fire sale prices since S35 is now "outdated". I have ZERO interest in FF, it's "advantages" would be disadvantages for my work.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I don't get the impression that S35 is being considered passť or outdated, FF is just another flavor. S35 will stick around for a while, maybe even for good in the same way that 16mm had a long run alongside 35mm.
    Charles Papert

10. Collapse Details
    From a manufacturer point of view, full frame is necessary as the market evolves from 2k to 4k to 8k, they have to get bigger pixel sites to get the light. But I also don't see the point. Just how many pixels do we need? The industry went through this in the '50s with 70mm, Vistavision, and Cinerama and then settled back down to 35mm.

It tells me that they have done all they can do with S35 and need to move on to innovate and sell equipment. The question is, how many customers will move with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast