Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FS5m2 new owner, need advice refresher
    Cool
    I've just pre-ordered an FS5m2. I've only shot on the FS5 once for a couple of vo actor days. Shot log-3 internal, overexposed 1.5 stops. Used a variety of good EF glass with metabones standard and metabones speedbooster. Loved the speedbooster look and speed, but both mounts felt loose which I didn't like.

While deciding on this next camera purchase, I was using a D850 with some good quality image stabilized glass. This will now become my B cam.

I'm looking for some reminders of what weaknesses to look out for with the FS5m2. I know some of them, but I'm not sure which ones may have been fixed in previous firmware patches.

For run-n-gun, I'm going to primarily shoot 10-bit 4:2:2 internal 1080p, slog3, overexposed 1-2 stops. I'll probably try the Venice profile for projects which don't require care and just need a quick shoot and export turnaround, but mostly I'll use slog3 and start with the Venice LUT.

I'll shoot 4K run-n-gun internal 4:2:0 8-bit when situations necessitate it, but I've read that 4K internal doesn't hold up well with slog3, that I should instead use slog2 or cine3 or cine4. I'm wary of how well I can pull focus using the FS5's screen when hand held, even utilizing the focus peaking. I may end up just finding a way to mount my Inferno on my back and use that for run-n-gun over internal, like a mesh back pack that let's it breathe (any other suggestions?).

Studio shooting will all be going out to the Inferno for ProRes RAW (once Premiere adds support) or ProResHQ in the meantime. For studio I plan on shooting at +2 to retain cleaner shadows. Speaking of which, how noisy is the image in the blacks compared to a C100, and when changing the ISO does it religiously need a black balance to reduce noise like the C100?

One thing I'm unclear on is the situation on external monitoring and LUTs for previewing while shooting. In which situations can you not externally monitor, and which situations can you not monitor an overexposed log signal with the appropriate LUT for preview?

Recently purchased some studio lights for subject and green screen a couple of wireless lavs and a shotgun, and with the FS5m2 is coming the kit lens, a Sachtler Ace L tripod, pelican 1510, and an active Nikon to E-mount adapter so I can use the current image stabilized Nikon glass. I was very disappointed to discover that there's no active Speedbooster for Nikon, and that Nikon ES lenses don't work with the Speedbooster. I'll be investing in more e-mount or EF w/ speedbooster when budget allows.

How are the quality of the XLRs on the FS5 compared to the Inferno? I think the noise floor on the Inferno is around -90dB.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler View Post
    I was very disappointed to discover that there's no active Speedbooster for Nikon, and that Nikon ES lenses don't work with the Speedbooster. I'll be investing in more e-mount or EF w/ speedbooster when budget allows.
    Nah, stick with Nikon but just make sure to only buy the slightly older lenses rather than the newest E variants. Which means you'll have to limit yourself to oh only about 99% of all of Nikon F mount lenses ever made! :-) ha
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, well thing is the company I'm at already had $5k in Nikon ES glass, so I'm trying to utilize that best i can between the FS5m2 and the D850 that the company also already has, at least until I have more budget for more e-mount or ef + speedbooster glass down the road.

4. Collapse Details
    It’s nice to see people thinking about the FS5II. I’m shooting the FS5, and as far as recording externally, I’ve tried to solve the issue in a similar fashion. I thought about placing a clear plastic cover over the touch screen on the external recorder/monitor, and using a short SDI cable to run it to a mesh pocket inside a photography vest. The reasoning for the vest was for a shorter cable. I haven’t actually tried this setup yet, but was trying to problem-solve it.

It’s too bad there is no external record-only unit designed for this...a 4K RAW recorder that can be slipped into a pocket would be reall handy...I hate having a bunch of crap bolted onto the FS5...the whole reasoning is a light, hand-holdable run-n-gun.
    Sony FS5, A7RII, Fuji XT-3, MacBook Pro

5. Collapse Details
    I shot an event with a C100 going out to a Ninja 2 that I had in a pocket of my cargo pants. As you can imagine, with HDMI-only it didn't work out so well. Luckily I was dual recording internally.

Let me know if you come up with a good solution.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
    It’s nice to see people thinking about the FS5II. I’m shooting the FS5, and as far as recording externally, I’ve tried to solve the issue in a similar fashion. I thought about placing a clear plastic cover over the touch screen on the external recorder/monitor, and using a short SDI cable to run it to a mesh pocket inside a photography vest. The reasoning for the vest was for a shorter cable. I haven’t actually tried this setup yet, but was trying to problem-solve it.

It’s too bad there is no external record-only unit designed for this...a 4K RAW recorder that can be slipped into a pocket would be reall handy...I hate having a bunch of crap bolted onto the FS5...the whole reasoning is a light, hand-holdable run-n-gun.
    I recall reading about a guy with a FS700 and he hooked the Odyssey 7Q onto his belt then ran a cable to the FS700, so that his FS700 would be lighter and more nimble to hold.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

7. Collapse Details
    Make sure to allow for proper ventilation/ cooling - as well as a way to protect the cable connectors!

8. Collapse Details
    The belt idea isn't too bad. Maybe a vented belt pouch. The connectors on my BM Video Assist are SDI, so that's a step up from wobbly HDMI anyway. I'd still have to somehow protect from inadvertent touch screen events with a cover of some kind (cardboard and gaffer's tape?).

Still wish there was just a recorder available.

9. Collapse Details
    FS700R 2.jpg

I shot handheld with an FS700R and the Shogun Inferno, attached by thin SDI cable (from Odyssey), sitting in a shoulder bag that I carried, on my shoulder. The camera is on a tripod just for the picture.

I shot this 4K DCI 60P test video (HDR) on a hot beach in Summer with this rig:

https://youtu.be/O-fzdZ_YzpU

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    @mark...that’s kinda what I was thinking, except with a photo vest...shorter cabling, less movement swinging away from the body.

Did you cover the screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast