1. Collapse Details
    Is my "Original Zacuto EVF" now OBSOLETE?
    hi all,

last night i went to hook up my older Zacuto EVF to my A7sII and then my 1DXmkII. it wouldn't work for either. i updated to the latest firmware offered from Zacuto (3.02.08) released 12/24/2014. they state camera like the GH3, GH4 & A7s.

i typically use this EVF on my older cameras like C100, and the 5Dxxx when i had them. i usually use the older SmallHD EVF (4.3") which still works with all of my cameras.

I've been trying to get ahold of Zacuto support to no avail. might be they are starting their holiday weekend early.

I'm going to need to get another EVF ASAP. i don't really care for the whole Zacuto Gratical line as you need external power plus they aren't cheap. SmallHD now has their "Sidefinder EVF 502" which I'm not very interested in either. the design is just a little weird plus you have to use a pint sized external remote that i know i would lose easily.

does anyone know if my older Zacuto EVF is no longer usable for my newer cameras?

any suggestions on other EVF's

thanks!
    david

2. Collapse Details
    Those other cameras you mentioned using are 1080p so they are sending a 1080p external signal, while the newer ones are 4K. I don't have your EVF, but I have a Gratical Eye and that requires a 1080p signal. It doesnt accept a 4k signal. I say all of this to suggest that you check that your A7sII is sending 1080p over HDMI and not 4K.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I use mine with a GH5 and an original A7s, no problem.
    Stuart Hooper

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    Those other cameras you mentioned using are 1080p so they are sending a 1080p external signal, while the newer ones are 4K. I don't have your EVF, but I have a Gratical Eye and that requires a 1080p signal. It doesnt accept a 4k signal. I say all of this to suggest that you check that your A7sII is sending 1080p over HDMI and not 4K.
    i switched from 4k to 1080 but still no luck. I'm going to look a little deeper when i get past this weekend. thanks for the input!
    david

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellar42 View Post
    I use mine with a GH5 and an original A7s, no problem.
    actually the fact that it works at all with the newer GH5 is encouraging.

are you talking in 4k or just 1080?

thanks
    david

6. Collapse Details
    Shooting 4k, but outputting to EVF in 1080, only. Works with everything except 6k anamorphic mode.
    Stuart Hooper

7. Collapse Details
    UPDATE:

in "miscellaneous" part of the menu it was set to "YUV 422". i set it to "AUTO" and now it works on my 1DXmkII. I'm don't recall ever playing with the setting/parameter in this EVF but maybe by updating to the newest firmware it was set to this by default.

all is good whether 4k 60fps on down to all of the other variations on this camera.

RANT ALERT: on another note i have to say how disappointed i am with Zacuto and SmallHD as to their EVF's

i just can't get into the radical design of SmallHD's EVF especially @ $1,500 as I've read many complaints about light leaks as well as a few other things. the design is just not desirable to me so i wont bother.

Zacuto...? geez! either they offer my old EVF with the mediocre resolution or i can buy into their upper end Gratical. really!? can't i just find a good resolution simple EVF without having to use a separate battery to power it? I'm very rarely on a shoulder rig but rather a cage - small and simple which i mount a simple EVF like my (likable) old SmallHD EVF i have which has way better resolution and easily flips up to use as a monitor without getting into the goofy design they are now selling.

I've looked as a lot of other EVF's and it seems hard to get better resolution than the Zacuto i have. i "need" one more EVF but would like more than the measly 800x480. if i was buying another 800x480 i don't think id spend the cash for the Zacuto like i have when similar other brands can be gotten for less than half the price and a few for as low as $300 (although they may not be as good of quality as Zacuto. id happily pay $1,500 for another EVF if i liked the design and it was practical for me. i have some Zacuto arms and camera plate and their quality is exceptional though.

im just blown away that the 2 companies that were the pioneers in bringing nice EVF's years ago but don't have anything that interests me as either an EVF that needs to be tethered to a separate battery or the odd design from SmallHD.

i spent $2,300 for a SmallHD 7.7" awhile back and although it was expensive i have never regretted paying that as it has lots of features and functionality.

does anyone have a suggestion other than Zacuto or SmallHD that has more than 800x480?

thanks
    david
    Last edited by david_p; 06-13-2018 at 08:26 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Have you tried a magnification viewfinder for your LCD?

It would block the touch screen, but for a few bucks those are amazing...very popular back in the day.

9. Collapse Details
    yes. i still my original Zfinder and another cheapy.

this is OK at times but only at eye level which isn't often the case. ill be seeking out some of the cheaper alternatives for another EVF though.

thanks!!
    david