1. Collapse Details
    HMC80 vs DVX200 Low Light for a conference shoot
    I will be doing a two camera conference shoot and would like some input. I own the HMC80 and plan on renting the DVX200. Both cameras will be fed to an ATEM switcher. The production will be in 1080/30p. I will be connecting the HMC80 to a decimator to convert the HMC80's 1080/60i HDMI output to 30p. The HMC80's lens is rated at 1.8 to 2.8 while the DVX200 is 2.8 to 4.5. Main camera will be zoomed on the speaker, most likely all the way in, second camera will be a cutaway wide shot. There will be some stage lighting provided by AV at the hotel, but will not know how adequate till the day of the shoot. My question, would it be better to use the HMC80 as the main camera on the speaker since it's aperture will allow more light? Should I expect a clean 30p from the decimator, this will be the first time I use it? Or is it better to use the DVX200 as the main camera at 4.5 zoomed in?

2. Collapse Details
    I own both cameras, and there is no comparison in overall sensitivity - the DVX200 wins by at least 2-3 stops. Use it as your primary camera if possible. I never use the HMC80 without plenty of additional artificial light these days (although it is still capable of making very nice images when properly lit).

- Greg

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Smith View Post
    I own both cameras, and there is no comparison in overall sensitivity - the DVX200 wins by at least 2-3 stops. Use it as your primary camera if possible. I never use the HMC80 without plenty of additional artificial light these days (although it is still capable of making very nice images when properly lit).

- Greg
    Thanks Greg for replying. So you are saying that with the 1.25 stops loss between the 2.8 on the HMC80 and the 4.5 on the DVX200 zoomed in, I should still be able to harness about an additional stop from the DVX200?

4. Collapse Details
    The DVX200, in "HIGH SENS" mode, is approximately 1000 ISO. The HMC80 is about 40 ISO. That puts the base sensitivity difference at about 4.5 f-stops.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah like they said no comparison in low light. So I would look at how lit the speaker is and how lit the room wide shot is. If the speaker is under lit you'll have to use the dvx as the tight shot. If the speaker is lit ok but the rest of the room is too dark then maybe do the opposite.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The DVX200, in "HIGH SENS" mode, is approximately 1000 ISO. The HMC80 is about 40 ISO. That puts the base sensitivity difference at about 4.5 f-stops.
    So Barry how does a high gain at 12db in the DVX200 compares to a 12DB gain the HMC80?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Yeah like they said no comparison in low light. So I would look at how lit the speaker is and how lit the room wide shot is. If the speaker is under lit you'll have to use the dvx as the tight shot. If the speaker is lit ok but the rest of the room is too dark then maybe do the opposite.
    Very good point.

8. Collapse Details
    Haven't tried them side by side so I can't say for sure, but as I recall the HMC40/80 got pretty nasty with grain quite quickly; that was something that was really improved in the change to the AC90.

I think you will likely find the DVX200 much cleaner at comparable levels of gain, especially if you also crank up the DVX200's noise reduction control some.