Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Whether it is theoretically possible, there is no chance that any signatory to the HDMI standard is going to violate that agreement. And I don't think a manufacturer could add an HDMI port without them being signatory to the license. So hey, you can hold your breath waiting if you want... but I wouldn't.
    Yes that's where those proprietary things lead to, Display Port could do it, and legally!
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 05-22-2018 at 02:28 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Yes that's were those proprietary things lead to, Display Port could do it, and legally!
    But that's not HDMI. The Ninja doesn't have a DisplayPort, and the cameras don't have it either. They have HDMI ports, and the HDMI standards are very clear. So it isn't gonna happen. Either the Ninja adds SDI support, or ... well, that's about it, really, there isn't any other practical, likely way to do it.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekmedia View Post
    Yes it will be a beautiful addition to cameras like the GH5, A6500, or the A7 series of cameras to record 10-bit PRORES HQ which is much better than Sony's 8-bit 4k internal codecs, but it really does nothing other than give you an additional codec if you are using the FS5 or EVA1.

The Sony A6500 and the Sony A7 series only output 8-bit (422) via HDMI, so the Ninja V is not even useful for those cameras. The Panasonic GH5, however, outputs 10-bit 422 in 4K 60P. The Ninja is useful for that camera.

Btw, the only Sony outputting 10-bit 422 through the HDMI port is the RX0! The Ninja V and the RX0 make for an interesting combo...

4. Collapse Details
    I wouldn’t say “not useful,” that extra :2 and twice the bitrate do make a difference vs. internal 4k
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

5. Collapse Details
    I'm hoping the Ninja V will get an SDI input (hopefully even 12G, but that's probably wishing too much) as I have a Z280 which outputs 3G/6G/12G and 4 channels of audio - with HDMI you can only output 1/2 or 3/4
    Big Mouth Media Digital
    Theatre Show Promos | Red Carpet | Vox Pops | Show Archival | Corporates | Video Newsletters | Sizzle Reels | Promotions

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmouthmedia View Post
    I'm hoping the Ninja V will get an SDI input (hopefully even 12G, but that's probably wishing too much) as I have a Z280 which outputs 3G/6G/12G and 4 channels of audio - with HDMI you can only output 1/2 or 3/4
    Why would you care about any of these things if you own a Z280?
    The camera can record 4K XAVC-I 10-bit 4:2:2 @ 60 fps internally. There is nothing you'll be able to record to an external recorder that would be superior to that.
    Keep the camera simple and put your external recorder money towards something more useful like lighting, audio, or a better tripod.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    @mcbob, as you're just using these as a monitor, could you get by with a cheap two hundred bucks chinese monitor to save you money on rentals until something like a "Samurai V" gets announced? (which is what I'm waiting for!)
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Whether it is theoretically possible, there is no chance that any signatory to the HDMI standard is going to violate that agreement. And I don't think a manufacturer could add an HDMI port without them being signatory to the license. So hey, you can hold your breath waiting if you want... but I wouldn't.
    At NAB I spoke with Atomos folks and it seems that ProRes RAW over HDMI is in the works.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmouthmedia View Post
    sdi module for ninja:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...odule_for.html

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    At NAB I spoke with Atomos folks and it seems that ProRes RAW over HDMI is in the works.
    Yes, Atomos says that it's in the works, as far as they're concerned. They could even go so far as to actually implement it. But no professional video camera manufacturer that I know of supports it or will support it. The only one I've ever heard of is a Nikon DSLR, and that doesn't output ProRes RAW over HDMI, that outputs raw video over HDMI, which in itself is a violation of the HDMI standard.

Now that Atomos have their SDI module out, it's more likely that they'd enable ProRes RAW support over that, as that is the only connection that professional camcorder manufacturers would support raw output over. However, at NAB, Atomos specifically said that the SDI module wouldn't support ProRes RAW.

So yeah, who knows what will happen. I continue to say that you should never buy any product for what you think it might do in the future, only buy something that supports what you need today. In order for Atomos' plan to work out, they'd need to get a new HDMI standard issued, which the manufacturers can then support. And who knows, maybe they will. But maybe they won't. I wouldn't count that chicken until it actually hatched.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast