Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shogun Inferno now, or Ninja V later?
    I have enough projects requiring external recording/monitoring lately that I really should just buy one (I've already spent half the V's cost on Inferno rentals this year), but after a few weeks of the pro/con weighing, I still can't make up my mind. What am I not thinking about or considering?

INFERNO:
    Solid Pro - Larger monitor, SDI
    Minor pro - Raw via SDI (haven't needed yet)
    Con - Power hungry, YUGE.

NINJA V:
    Solid Pro - Smaller, lighter, less battery-guzzling
    Minor pro - possible upgradability (but what capabilities, and how soon?)
    Con - smaller screen, no SDI

Ideally I'd buy both, but budgets and all that. Rather have some better lighting than two recorders
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

2. Collapse Details
    I can't see making an investment in a recording monitor if it is not SDI capable which is a requirement for FS5, EVA-1, and or even an FS7 to record PRORES RAW or CDNG from its RAW 12-bit output. The NINJA is a much more beautiful design and I even looked at purchasing it myself (and I own a Shogun Inferno and FS5) but it is limited that it only has HDMI and that was disappointing for me as and FS5 owner. Yes it will be a beautiful addition to cameras like the GH5, A6500, or the A7 series of cameras to record 10-bit PRORES HQ which is much better than Sony's 8-bit 4k internal codecs, but it really does nothing other than give you an additional codec if you are using the FS5 or EVA1. As a shogun / FS5 owner in all my projects I would not be willing to give up the 4k resolution increase and and slow-motion capabilities (along with PRORES RAW which so far has been amazing to use) to have albeit a smaller less capable monitor (which will make waveforms and focus peaking smaller and less visible and nailing critical focus even harder). Also just my opinion but if you haven't used PRORES RAW I recommend working with it before you make your final decision as I have been experiencing much better exposure latitude in comparison to PRORES HQ.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    The Ninja's got to change. They gave it raw recording capability, but then made it HDMI-only, which cannot now and never will be used for transporting raw data. So they're stuck. The only way out that I can see is them adding some sort of SDI add-on module. Or cancelling the Ninja V and releasing a new Ninja VI that does have SDI. Or releasing a new Ninja VI but removing the raw recording claim.

There's pretty much no other way out of the mess they made when they tried to force a nonstandard HDMI implementation. Well, I guess a third way out would be to introduce their own camera which has HDMI raw. But they're going to have to take one of those three steps.

If I were to bet, I would put my money on some manner of SDI adapter, unless that turns out to be impossible due to hardware limitations.

In any case, no way would I buy a Ninja V for raw recording at this time. If your primary need is.for raw recording, go with the Shogun. Or wait to see what happens with the Ninja if you don't need a raw recorder right now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    They did heavily hint at the possibility of an SDI adapter in the future. I’m not doing raw at present, just broadcast acceptable 4K vs. the 8-bit bs.

The HDMI doesn’t bother me so much (it’s what I have to use presently for 4K output anyway), but yeah... focusing 4K on a 5” screen does. The Ninja would be useable in a shoulder configuration, the Shogun... not so much.

Yep. Just not an easy decision.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

5. Collapse Details
    In my time with the Odyssey 7Q+ and the PIX E5H, I can say that the smaller PIX was vastly preferable for portability. Focusing 4K isn't necessarily so bad on the small screen, as you can mirror the LCD's output on the external monitor and take advantage of the magnified focus assist and peaking, or you can use the magnified focus assist on the external.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The Ninja's got to change. They gave it raw recording capability, but then made it HDMI-only, which cannot now and never will be used for transporting raw data. So they're stuck. The only way out that I can see is them adding some sort of SDI add-on module. Or cancelling the Ninja V and releasing a new Ninja VI that does have SDI. Or releasing a new Ninja VI but removing the raw recording claim.

There's pretty much no other way out of the mess they made when they tried to force a nonstandard HDMI implementation. Well, I guess a third way out would be to introduce their own camera which has HDMI raw. But they're going to have to take one of those three steps.

If I were to bet, I would put my money on some manner of SDI adapter, unless that turns out to be impossible due to hardware limitations.

In any case, no way would I buy a Ninja V for raw recording at this time. If your primary need is.for raw recording, go with the Shogun. Or wait to see what happens with the Ninja if you don't need a raw recorder right now.
    This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. I was pretty excited when I first heard about the Ninja V,
    mainly because I have been wishing for a small recorder (not as big as the Odyssey or Inferno) for
    some time now. Something easier to use for those of us who are shooting unscripted, fast paced stuff.
    Something that would pair nicely with a FS5 or an EVA1. So when they announced it and the fact it would
    do ProRes raw, I was close to preordering. But once you dig into the facts.....yeah not so good. Needs
    some sort of SDI implementation for it to be worth anything to me, HDMI doesn't help at all currently.
    As far as I know, nothing sends raw over HDMI so it seems a bit strange.

7. Collapse Details
    In my time with the Odyssey 7Q+ and the PIX E5H, I can say that the smaller PIX was vastly preferable for portability. Focusing 4K isn't necessarily so bad on the small screen, as you can mirror the LCD's output on the external monitor and take advantage of the magnified focus assist and peaking, or you can use the magnified focus assist on the external.
    By "mirror the LCD output " are you saying you can get the same feed as the camera's LCD is getting? Which camera is that? On the FS7 at least as far as I know you can only get all that info from the dedicated Sony VF plug. Am I missing something or are the cameras different?

8. Collapse Details
    The Ninja's got to change. They gave it raw recording capability, but then made it HDMI-only, which cannot now and never will be used for transporting raw data.
    I would not be so sure of that.

Technically there are no problems, only "office people with ties" with licenses in their hands.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    By "mirror the LCD output " are you saying you can get the same feed as the camera's LCD is getting? Which camera is that? On the FS7 at least as far as I know you can only get all that info from the dedicated Sony VF plug. Am I missing something or are the cameras different?
    Sorry, crossed wires here. I meant EVA1, I didn't check to see this thread was in the Sony section. Sorry for the confusion.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    I would not be so sure of that.

Technically there are no problems, only "office people with ties" with licenses in their hands.
    Whether it is theoretically possible, there is no chance that any signatory to the HDMI standard is going to violate that agreement. And I don't think a manufacturer could add an HDMI port without them being signatory to the license. So hey, you can hold your breath waiting if you want... but I wouldn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast