Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bryersen View Post
    I want to be able to wander after shooting b-roll and capture sound free from the camera.
    Then you've gotta have a recorder, which points you back the newer SDs and the Zoom F series. Either should be fine for what you want. But of course you can spend as much as you like on this stuff.

2. Collapse Details
    The MixPre3/6 has a 3.5mm TRS unbalanced stereo output, with a max level of +7.8dBu. So no , it would not adequately feed a cam's XLR line in. It may be ok for a scratch/sync track though. I've never used an F4, and manual's specs state it has XLR balanced outputs, but.. they are -10dB (nominal), so basically, the same level issue applies. You may be able to feed a cam's mic level input with a proper adapter and/or attenuation. Dave from NZ, has used an F4, maybe he can elaborate on feeding a cam with that recorder.
    You could however set up a wireless cam hop though, depending on your budget. But this would not be a good alternative for a OMB operation.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The MixPre3/6 has a 3.5mm TRS unbalanced stereo output, with a max level of +7.8dBu. So no , it would not adequately feed a cam's XLR line in. It may be ok for a scratch/sync track though. I've never used an F4, and manual's specs state it has XLR balanced outputs, but.. they are -10dB (nominal), so basically, the same level issue applies. You may be able to feed a cam's mic level input with a proper adapter and/or attenuation.
    So, if I've got this right, the quality of sound recorded by an external recorder (like the MixPre-3 or the Zoom F4) is definitely better than that recorded by a Canon C100 Mk I or MkII, but I'll have to sync it in post because the XLR line input levels are too low. But I can get a scratch/sync track by either feeding back to the low line inputs of the camera or the little internal mic of the MkII.

Thank you. I did not know that crucial bit.
    Last edited by bryersen; 05-29-2018 at 02:04 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Sorry for getting too far off the original OPs post.. Depending on how low the recorded signal is, you may be able to normalize it in post w/o audible artifacts. If the cam has a PCM 24 bit depth audio option, (which it probably does not) normalizing not an issue. In either case, the SD files would sound better. That said, I usually don't have qualms recording interviews and such directly to a cam, but that's using recorders or mixers with +4dB outputs.
    Last edited by Rick R; 05-28-2018 at 08:18 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bryersen View Post
    So, if I've got this right, the quality of sound recorded by an external recorder (like the MixPre-3 or the Zoom F4) is definitely better than that recorded by a Canon C100 Mk I or MkII, but I'll have to sync it in post because the XLR line input levels are too low. But I can get a scratch/sync track by either feeding back to the low line inputs of the camera or the little internal mic of the MkII.

Thank you. I did not know that crucial bit.
    You can set the C100 to mic level instead of line level and then you'd just be fine with the levels feed to the C100. However I tend to still recommend to sync in post.

(or get the new F8n which is about to be released very soon, that is a low priced recorder with proper line level output)
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123