Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    This is your own low budget project, right? And your goal is not becoming a full time FX recordist, correct?

If those are correct then I would not spring for stereo mic but instead get a Tascam DR-40. It's cheaper than a cheap decent stereo mic and sounds very good. Plus it's easy to pack and pull out whenever you find something to record. It's what I pack if I'm not hauling the full kit around.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

2. Collapse Details
    I use a DR-40 to quickly record music gigs. The internal mics are decent and have a 90 & 120 degree width option. The XLR and 1/4" TRS/TS combo inputs are mic/line via a hardware switch, line being +4dB nominal to interface with pro consoles. There's also an adjustable delay on the external input to help time-align the int./ext.mics.. (approx 1.1 foot = 1 ms). It can also run on a standard phone charger/battery with a standard USB (A) using the included cable or three internal AA batteries. The USB also serves as an computer interface to the recorder's SD card. What's not to like?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Wait..... what?

Why then have I got tens of thousands of dollars worth of location sound gear....

Because a top of the line Sound package is still far less expensive than a top of the line Camera package.
    Big sources matter.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Because a top of the line Sound package is still far less expensive than a top of the line Camera package.
    Not a relevant comparison. Most people on this forum don't run around with an ARRI and anamorphic set of primes etc etc

And even those who do, it will usually be rented in, not owned personally (unlike most sound gear, when we own all or at least most of it ourselves).

It is the norm for me to show up to shoots bringing more sound gear that I personally own than is the case with the camera department.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12