Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Sounds to me like your real issue is your key light is not bright enough if you're only getting 1600 - 2400 ISO at f/4. Better to spend that $2k on lighting if that's the case I'd say.
    I typically use a Rifa with a 500w - 750 bulb and an egg crate at about 6-7 ft. from the subject as a key and Arri fresnel and Nila lights for background and accents. I find a 1000w bulb can bother people. I have lit literally hundreds of interviews with this set up but am still experimenting with settings and lens on the C200. I have been using Wide DR and shoot at 23.98P and am typically at 1600 ISO for good exposure. I like the extra head room Wide DR provides but do loose about 1/2 stop over the Normal Standard.

Drew

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dharty View Post
    I typically use a Rifa with a 500w - 750 bulb and an egg crate at about 6-7 ft. from the subject as a key and Arri fresnel and Nila lights for background and accents. I find a 1000w bulb can bother people. I have lit literally hundreds of interviews with this set up but am still experimenting with settings and lens on the C200. I have been using Wide DR and shoot at 23.98P and am typically at 1600 ISO for good exposure. I like the extra head room Wide DR provides but do loose about 1/2 stop over the Normal Standard.

Drew
    When I used a Rifa I used a 1000w bulb, and didn't use an egg crate (which also looses light). I believe if a light is too harsh on someone's eyes you can increase the size of the source (soften it) to lessen eye strain, which then means you'd need a brighter light to fill up the whole area while still achieving the level of brightness on the subject that you desire.

I have Litepanel Astra 4x lights which I switched to from the Lowel Rifa 88ex 1k. One Astra 4x shot through about a stop of diffusion (54" 5-in-1) gets me around f/4-f/8 at 850 ISO, and if I'm fighting a windowed background, I'll double them up to get around f/11 (then add ND to get back to say f/4-f/5.6). I bought the Litepanel Gemini a few weeks ago but have yet to use it on a shoot since the bag was on backorder and just came in a couple days ago, so I'm curious to see how well it fairs as a key light for interviews. I suspect I'll still use the Astras a lot for interviews since their small and easier to work with, and use the Gemini more for bigger crewed shoots.

I've been wanting to buy the Astra 6x lights, but I'm rather intrigued by the Practilite 802 panel lights. I have the Practilite 602 lights and love them. The 802 is half the size of the Astra (awesome since I like to pack small), the lux values are higher, and it has a lens system to change beam angle without loosing too much brightness so you essentially get an Astra Soft and regular Astra all in one. Also, I like to use the Wifi feature on my LED lights and the Practlite Wifi Ap works much better and more efficiently than the Litepanels Ap; the Litepanels ap is rather buggy and takes time to keep manually reconnecting so I often forgo using it, while the Practilite connects automatically.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 05-18-2018 at 09:19 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    @puredrifting - that would be great to have the RING support.

@Eric awesome stripped down setup on the glidecam - I am still having to play around with different setups, I currently have the Shape Cage on my C200 and depending on the shoot I move things around, if I am using sticks it usually goes on the VCT mount and I have 2 different follow focus systems I have the Zacuto with the Tornado thing for shoulder mount 1 man show setup and when I have it back on the stick I use the tilta FF - only issue I have with the Zacuto tornado FF is can't use it with a matte box (someone on here said they did it but I believe it was for a EV1 cam)

and when I use the glidecam I am always torn if I remove it from the cage or not, I usually just take the top handle off and flip monitor center and run a VMOUNT on a belt clip - I think I may need more weights like what @Eric did (thanks for sharing that @Eric)

as like many of us - I wish there was a click and go for everything makes things easier in fast paced shooting environment.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    That's true, but the lens support I have cups around the entire bottom of lens, not just at one point so I have at least a fighting chance it would not snap the mount off. depending on which way the impact was. I wonder if anyone makes a circular lens support, like a ring? I know the lens support for the CN-E Compact Servo zoom screws into a thread at the bottom of the lens, lending support from lateral and upward impact.
    I can't remember where I saw it (I think on dvxuser a few years ago), but it was just the 70-200 collar mounted on rods, giving a full ring of support. I can't remember if they could just slide the lens through the collar or how they set it up but it seems like a great option if you can streamline the set up time.

5. Collapse Details
    It was the collar mounted with something like this - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rod_clamp.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12