1. Collapse Details
    Pacific Standard Time - 16mm Short
    A short skate film project shot on Regular 16mm with a Bolex Rex 4. I specially chose regular 16mm for the width of the wider lenses and lack of vignetting with that aspect ratio.

Scans were done at Gamma Ray Digital in Boston and finished at LightPress in Seattle.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    your short looks great...I'm shooting commercials on film ...I love the stuff

3. Collapse Details
    Love the texture. Really good use of transitions too.

4. Collapse Details
    Great look. Nice job.

How did you record sound?
    Sony FS5, A7RII

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    your short looks great...I'm shooting commercials on film ...I love the stuff
    Thanks. Same here. Can't get enough of the look. I use C300 Mkii a lot, so this is a nice break from that.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
    Great look. Nice job.

How did you record sound?
    I use the H1 pocket recorder with a Rode Video Mic Pro. All of the street sounds etc were overdubbed and some of the skate sounds were replaced as well.

6. Collapse Details
    Nice skate film Ben! Got the "old" Stereo Skateboard vibes

7. Collapse Details
    Theoretically today's videocameras should be gradable to look the same, but people aren't. The look and feel of the 16mm was a welcome relief to my eyeballs, including the mild grain.

Nice camerawork. Have you used that Bolex a lot? You seem to be comfortable with it. A wide variety of shots, some of them quite artistic.

My complements to your editor too, as others have pointed out. Some of the best cutting I've seen in a while. Does he have any editing tips, or should I just send him a direct note somehow?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Theoretically today's videocameras should be gradable to look the same, but people aren't. The look and feel of the 16mm was a welcome relief to my eyeballs, including the mild grain.

Nice camerawork. Have you used that Bolex a lot? You seem to be comfortable with it. A wide variety of shots, some of them quite artistic.

My complements to your editor too, as others have pointed out. Some of the best cutting I've seen in a while. Does he have any editing tips, or should I just send him a direct note somehow?
    Thanks for the kind words. I know what you mean. I've shot with a lot of cameras and I just like how the 16mm format looks. I use the C300 Mkii a lot at work and the final images couldn't be any different.

Especially for skateboarding it has everything I need, cheap par focal zoom lenses, 1-64fps vintage lens flares, single frame long exposures on the fly, decent choice of wide and super wide lenses, and most importantly the smaller gauge allows you to keep things in focus even just eyeing it through the viewfinder.

I've used the bolex here and there for the last few years. I've never really shot a full piece on one, but have experimented enough to know the limitations. What we were shooting was obviously super run and gun. If I had the choice, I would have probably shot some stuff to be a lot more shallow.

You can find Ben Kaplan's Vimeo and info through the credits section on Vimeo.