Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Zoom H6 is broken. SD card won't eject or engage
    This is frustrating. After 2 years the SD card slot has failed. Zoom support response was quick but there solution is replacement for a little lees than half the cost of a new device.

Until now I've used both the H4 since 2012 and H6 without issue. The sound is decent for my projects.

Does anyone recommend NOT replacing the H6 and getting something else?

2. Collapse Details
    In the same price range.. I would prefer a Tascam.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I would prefer a Sound Devices, irrelevant of price range.

Lost sound on set is expensive for repeat business.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    One option is to fix it yourself for $2.50. If you know how to use a screw driver and a soldering iron, you may be able to fix it yourself quite easily. You've got nothing to lose if you don't intend to get it repaired. Take it apart. Get the part number off the SD holder and go buy it from Digikey. Now it may be a part that uses soldering techniques that are not possible by hand, but nothing lost in trying.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Needle nose pliers?

6. Collapse Details
    I would look at Sound Devices PreMix 3 / PreMix 6

See if any features you MUST have are missing on the Sound Devices gear; if none are missing then I'd go Sound Devices

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfinity Media View Post
    Does anyone recommend NOT replacing the H6 and getting something else?
    The Zoom F4 is approximately 1,437,830,217,694 times better for location sound recording than the H6, and is only a hundred bucks more. I'd go for the Zoom F4 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    In the same price range.. I would prefer a Tascam.
    Indeed, if you really really REALLY can not afford the extra hundred bucks more for a F4 over an H6 then I'd suggest just save a bunch of money by getting the Tascam DR70D or even Tascam DR60Dmk2 than buy the Zoom H6.

http://ironfilm.co.nz/which-sound-re...rders-in-2017/
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

8. Collapse Details
    Lack of Reliability is way more costly. Reputation once gone is extremely difficult to build up again. And when a person is starting out, that is even more important because that client may be your final client. So it is better to get a Sound Devices instead. The SD products work for many years. So even though you pay more initially, you get peace of mind and excellent value. The MixPre series gives us great value.

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah but on the flip side the MixPre series has a tonne of flaws or just weird quirks, such as not having preroll (wtf?), no TC generator (except MixPre10T), weirdly placed headphone/menu knob and hirose connection for the MixPre10T, etc etc etc

So the Zoom F series is not only lower priced, but they seem to be better thought out as well.

I've said many times, if only they had the "Sound Devices" name on them then people would be heaping praise after praise on them! The worst thing about them is the "Zoom" name. (yet in reality they're nothing like anything else Zoom has done before, they're new ground for Zoom)
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Yeah but on the flip side the MixPre series has a tonne of flaws or just weird quirks, such as not having preroll (wtf?), no TC generator (except MixPre10T), weirdly placed headphone/menu knob and hirose connection for the MixPre10T, etc etc etc
    David, the Zoom F4 and F8 are clearly aimed for the lower end of the professional film sound market: the Zoom website side makes that abundantly clear. Equally clear is that the SD Mixpre-series recorders are aimed at 'musicians, sound designers, podcasters, videographers, YouTubers and field recordists', with their more expensive recorders/mixers aimed at film sound professionals. I looked and, above all, carefully listened to the F4/F8 and Mixpre-series and went with the SD not because of prejudice against Zoom (indeed, I own other Zoom gear), but because a Mixpre-series recorder better suited my particular uses: the four main factors why I bought a Mixpre-3 were the preamp sound, the limiter sound, the headphone preamp quality, and the diminutive size. The 'flaws' and 'quirks' you describe are simply not relevant to the particular uses I have for this recorder: in short, I was after a Mixpre-D that could record, and got something rather better. I am sure many others have made similar decisions based on equally rational grounds. I can understand, of course, why someone professionally recording film sound (as you do) would need the particular functionality of a Zoom F4/F8, although I must admit that if that was my particular need/main employment I would also consider other options such as an SD 633 etc.

I suspect the OP's needs might be a bit different if currently using an H6, although I do agree an F4 would be a not too expensive step up assuming size, complexity etc. is not an issue.

Cheers,

Roland
    Last edited by Throwback; 05-15-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast