Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I shot fast moving race boats last summer from a moving boat with my C100 MKI before I sold it, 18-135 STM IS and continuous DPAF center frame worked pretty well in a situation that I never could have manually focused. It wasn't 100% but about a 90% keeper rate. I think another thing some people don't think about is even with the manual focus aids, trying to manually track focus with focus by wire lenses is impossible. For doing that, you need old Nikon manual or cine lenses with mechanical focus. Then achieving focus at least becomes a possibility.
    ==
    On a side not PureDrifing has previously said there is something about the C100 image that looks more filmic to him than the C200. I'd happily swap mine for a c200 but its good to know this camera still has the goods!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    trying to manually track focus with focus by wire lenses is impossible. For doing that, you need old Nikon manual or cine lenses with mechanical focus.
    Modern F-mount and most EF mount lenses have mechanical focus too. There are varying degrees of quality & throw, and each brand has their own form of 'clutch' that allows MF to still work when AF in engaged, but they are still predictable for manual focusing (albeit far from a proper cine lens).

Fly-by-wire lenses are mostly currently found on mirrorless systems, as well as the Canon STM lenses, and maybe a few others. These are the lenses that are terrible for MF due to the lag, and the speed you turn the ring at ramps the focusing speed, so your marks will never be in the same spot twice.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

3. Collapse Details
    If you're going to go full manual, a follow focus can be incredibly useful. I use cine lenses so everything is manual. I couldn't live without my follow focus. It never comes off of the rods. You'll also need to spend time knowing your lenses and how much throw they need to hit focus.

4. Collapse Details
    For those people wanting to use the DPAF on their manual focus lenses, I've done a bit of testing.

The AF confirm chips will allow you to use the MF assist boxes. Unfortunately they are not accurate unless you have the correct aperture specified. That was interesting to discover. Luckily the EMF AF confirm chip allows you to have the camera "change" the aperture of the lens and it seems to be fairly accurate. It also allows you to change the focal length being specified by the chip which might make it even more accurate. I haven't tested that as all of my MF lenses are M42 f/2.8 lenses accept for the 50mm's and it is accurate enough for those lenses.

In any case, the EMF AF chips can be used to fool a camera with an EF mount to let you use the MF assist features.

5. Collapse Details
    I’m sorry are you talking about the c100 mk1 above? Not sure I understand.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    I’m sorry are you talking about the c100 mk1 above? Not sure I understand.
    No, the C300 II/C200.

7. Collapse Details
    This will solve all your focus issues, especially when hanging off say an F-22 doing an inverted low altitude runway pass at Mach .9: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._body_cap.html . That's right F222 works with the F-22. And it's only 30 bucks. Win win.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    This will solve all your focus issues, especially when hanging off say an F-22 doing an inverted low altitude runway pass at Mach .9: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._body_cap.html . That's right F222 works with the F-22. And it's only 30 bucks. Win win.
    Lol Iíll have to try this one out! In the meantime I just thought it was my cheap 18-55 stm kit lens that was a pain to focus, but sounds like cheap wasnít the issue and STM is. My 17-55 is actually easier with a Follow focus gear attached, maybe it gives it a bit more travel.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry1908 View Post
    Lol I’ll have to try this one out! In the meantime I just thought it was my cheap 18-55 stm kit lens that was a pain to focus, but sounds like cheap wasn’t the issue and STM is. My 17-55 is actually easier with a Follow focus gear attached, maybe it gives it a bit more travel.
    Yes focus by wire is certainly more challenging, though with practice and a decent means to see accurate focus (vs relying on stops/marks/distance/memory) it can be done. All my Sony lenses were focus by wire and was able to make work, especially when combined with AF (contrast AF wasn’t great, but got in ballpark so MF could be used to fine tune). Wireless FF is effectively the same, fully decoupled and with lag, so perhaps firmware updates to lenses/cameras can provide a linear/absolute position option. This would be as good as wireless FF on a manual lens.

10. Collapse Details
    I find it easy, but only because I've never used autofocus and always had manual lenses.

The key for me is the following:

1. Using a magnifier/loupe on the rear LCD screen
    2. Stopping the lens down to around f5.6 or lower
    3. Not using focus peaking (it's way too generous)
    4. Practice
    5. Having good eyesight
    6. Being able to use the punch-in zoom on the fly
    7. Use a wide focal length if possible

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast