Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    P.S. filmguy...something about the 7D Mark II was bothering me as I used to shoot with one a bit back in the day, and I finally came across/remembered that DPAF doesn't work in 1080/60p (only in 720/60p).

That's our Canon...lol.

Just FYI as I'm sure that would be important to you.

I checked the most recent manual and they still have this note:

7D Mark II.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Whoa, thanks for looking into that NorBro!

Yeah, Canon is maddening like that... random missing "almost perfect" features drive me crazy in general but Canon appears to be king of the hill here!

I'm going to have to research up and then sit on this for a while. DPAF on the 1dx mark ii got me way more excited about it then on say the C200. If I'm handling a larger rig, I don't really need AF and love the manual focus feel and aesthetic. So, now my wheels are turning, and my wallet is whining.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post
    Can always pin all your hopes and dreams on a piece of vaporware!

http://www.canonrumors.com/new-type-...photokina-cr1/

I'm really hoping this thing is a legit GHx / BMPCC4k competitor but that would probably be too forward thinking from Canon...
    But ya know... really. A smaller, lightweight, S35 sized / A6300 type competitor from Canon w/Dual Pixel AF, 4k 60p, and a good codec with a Sigma Art 18-35 for $2000 recording to SD cards and common batteries with Watson replacements would be worth waiting for if I can find some friends with a 5D Mark IV to let me play in the meantime.

4. Collapse Details
    There is also the new-ish SL2 for $549 with DPAF in 1080/60p...but if 4K/60p is needed via a DSLR then the only choice is a 1DX Mark II.

5. Collapse Details
    ooh... how do I find info on the codec for that? All I see is:

"The SL2 records video in .MP4 format (IPB/IPB light) using the MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 codec." Bitrate? 8-bit 420 I assume?

The SL2 for $550 is could be a steal to wait it out w/DPAF for cheap in the interim until a 1dx mark III or a new canon/sony camera.

1080p/60 and S35 is fine for now and for the price - *IF* the codec is semi decent... could it output to an Atomos via HDMI?

It appears to support c-log.

It's really just DPAF for gimbal shots to open up quality creative options because right now, my gimbal moves and aesthetic are pretty limited as a solo op.

I'd feel better dropping larger $$ next year on a next gen upgrade like a 1dx Mark 3 or something.

In the meantime I do need to slowly invest in some more lightweight AF glass and zooms as well, the Sigma 18-35 is a good cheap starting place (but S35/m43 boosted only).

I'd be way more excited about 800mbps 4k/60p, full frame, crazy low light, etc. but way less excited about spending 10x as much for a camera that would pretty much be dedicated to gimbal AF shots (who knows, maybe I'd fall in love and end up using it more, but still).
    Last edited by filmguy123; 05-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    save money, sony a7iii

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    But ya know... really. A smaller, lightweight, S35 sized / A6300 type competitor from Canon w/Dual Pixel AF, 4k 60p, and a good codec with a Sigma Art 18-35 for $2000 recording to SD cards and common batteries with Watson replacements would be worth waiting for
    If it sounds too good to be true... (But I'm going to cross my fingers and wait anyway.)

8. Collapse Details
    All Canon DSLRs/mirrorless' are ALL-I or IPB...most of them are IPB with the regular and the light format, including the SL2. Some in the middle like the 7D Mark II and 80D have both. No real C-Log on anything besides 5D Mark IV (and 1DC).

Only the 5D Mark IV and the 1DX Mark II are at the top of the pack with everything plus 4K recording/DPAF/MJPEG.

9. Collapse Details
    Good to know, good to know.

What's the specs on Canon's ALL-I or IPB codecs? is there a white paper?

Sony is not out of question but if i'm looking at it for AF only Canon is better, and better out of box color on a limited codec so there's that (plus also need the E mount to EF adaptor or native E-mount glass) and the price starts climbing back up.

10. Collapse Details
    The data rates might be somewhere in the full specifications on Canon USA...but it's definitely all 8-bit 4:2:0 besides the 4:2:2 MJPEG.

Here's a sample I found of the SL2...it's shaky, but it's a good real world example of the codec using a 50mm f/1.8 STM probably wide-open on the APSC sensor.

The more samples I watch the more I think how it's such a great shame Canon doesn't have a full-frame 4K shooting DSLR.

My goodness...the pioneers of DSLRs with such awesome technology and color, and they do not have a beautiful full-frame sensor shooting 4K motion pictures with some of that unbelievable Canon glass (35mm f/1.4 II).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEWyw5Yj5E4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast