Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bleeding colours on Scene 2 on EVA1
    Hi all,

Would like to check if anyone have experienced such issues on "SCENE 2" profile on the EVA1. It happens alot when I am shooting against strong blue stage light LEDS or rear brake lights on cars or traffic lights.

1080 422 all i.jpg

1080 422 all i 2.jpg

Let me know if anyone has issues with this.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Shot in long gop? All I? 1080? 4k?
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

3. Collapse Details
    Apologies on the lack of detail. It's on 1080p 25fps ALL-i 100mbps

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by charger_sar21 View Post
    Hi all,

Would like to check if anyone have experienced such issues on "SCENE 2" profile on the EVA1. It happens alot when I am shooting against strong blue stage light LEDS or rear brake lights on cars or traffic lights.

1080 422 all i.jpg

1080 422 all i 2.jpg

Let me know if anyone has issues with this.

Thanks!
    What is the gamut scene 2 is using?

5. Collapse Details
    I can only offer a theory here, but it appears to me blown out luma is what may be causing the "bleed." Scene 1 and 2 may appear closer to rec709 than V-log, but bright white should still only be exposed to around 70/80 ire, respectively, with those settings.

Do the green and yellow traffic lights in that same shot "bleed" as well? Where do these lights fall on your waveform (untreated footage)? I'm guessing that you are past the point of recovering detail when dialing down the extreme highlights because those lights were shot at 80+ ire.
    Last edited by Seanik; 05-07-2018 at 01:28 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    What is the gamut scene 2 is using?
    I use the default V-504580L1 gamma range

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    I can only offer a theory here, but it appears to me blown out luma is what may be causing the "bleed." Scene 1 and 2 may appear closer to rec709 than V-log, but bright white should still only be exposed to around 70/80 ire, respectively, with those settings.

Do the green and yellow traffic lights in that same shot "bleed" as well? Where do these lights fall on your waveform (untreated footage)? I'm guessing that you are past the point of recovering detail when dialing down the extreme highlights because those lights were shot at 80+ ire.
    I do not notice on the yellow light, but i remember the green light was fine. It's always the Red lights thats bothering me and the offline editor feedback to me on this portion. I remember shooting stage lights as well and the blue bleed as well. even when i expose way under the proper exposure. It got me worried so I did not shoot that in EVA1. Had to use another camera to just shoot those cutaways.

Same setting. Using the SCENE 2, 1080p 422 ALL I.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by charger_sar21 View Post
    I use the default V-504580L1 gamma range
    If that gamut is larger than Rec.709 did you correctly convert the gamut?

9. Collapse Details
    A quick view on the Vector scope on a cropped section of picture #1 shows the red channel saturation is off the planet. Regarding the luma levels it doesn't look too far off. I find this quite common with some of the Sony cameras as well. So much so that I only run my own custom 709 type scene files. This chroma overdrive and phase vector of channels can usually easily be fixed in the Matrix and Sub Marix or Multimatrix if the EVA1 has one.

Red channel clip Scopes.jpg

Chris Young
    Last edited by cyvideo; 05-08-2018 at 12:05 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    A quick view on the Vector scope on a cropped section of picture #1 shows the red channel saturation is off the planet. Regarding the luma levels it doesn't look too far off...... This chroma overdrive and phase vector of channels can usually easily be fixed in the Matrix and Sub Marix or Multimatrix if the EVA1 has one. Chris Young
    You're right: the chroma channels can be affected by tweaking the Matrix settings (and yes, EVA1 has them). However, before you start diving in to paint your shots at that level, I would highly recommend that you eliminate all other potential causes for the red bleed first.

For one, and this is assuming that the still that was scoped above is from untreated/ungraded footage, it's clear that the exposure is about 17-20 ire too hot for the Scene 2 (V-504580L1) gamma, which should be shot at about max 80 ire, not 100. Before you start playing around with the matrix settings, I would first do some exposure tests with a color chart (which you should use for tweaking the matrix anyway). You really don't want to go there unless you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    I find this quite common with some of the Sony cameras as well. So much so that I only run my own custom 709 type scene files.
    Like the EVA1's Scene 1 and 2 gammas, some of Sony's Cine/Hyper Gammas also require you to shoot a little under (100 ire). Generally speaking, if you expose each gamma how it was designed to be exposed, you rarely have to do any fiddling with the matrix settings.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.39.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.39.56 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Seanik; 05-08-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast