Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mic Advice and Recommendations
    I film weddings. I find the quality of the original Zoom H4n sufficient for the task. It's Auto level mode works very well for my needs. I hook into the DJ board, place the Zoom in front of his booth and record in four channel mode. Perfect...almost.

The H4n won't give me a single four channel file. The only option is two stereo files. So this year I'm upgrading to the F4 to get that single, four channel file. That'll simplify my editing nicely.

The F4 doesn't come with built-in mics like the H4n does. So I'll need to add a couple mics and maybe an ORTF mic stand to place in front of the DJ booth. Any recommendations?

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not super into audio, but I will say that when using a battery powered recorder, you want a mic that has it's own battery. I have an Audio Technica AT-875R that I run with the H4N for sound on short and feature films. I only get about an hour of battery on the Zoom due to it supplying power to the mic.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Zoom H6 is another option.
    Six tracks,good preamps,nice little screen
    Last edited by geani66; 04-29-2018 at 01:51 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    The H4n won't give me a single four channel file. The only option is two stereo files. So this year I'm upgrading to the F4 to get that single, four channel file. That'll simplify my editing nicely.
    I haven't really thought this through and am not really familiar with Zoom recorders, but could you perhaps run your H4n files through the free WaveAgent utility from Sound Devices and combine those two stereo files into a single polyphonic Broadcast WAV file? (or maybe you'd first split the stereo files into mono, and then combine into a single BWF-poly file)?

I find Wave Agent useful for all sorts of tasks. It's simple, flexible, light weight, and free. You could probably see if it'll help you in less than 30 minutes (including downloading and installing). https://www.sounddevices.com/product...are/wave-agent

Or does anyone else here know for sure that Wave Agent won't help here?
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

5. Collapse Details
    FWIW,
    Magix Vegas Pro (formally Sony Vegas Pro) has a preferences option to assign two channel files as stereo pairs or as mono tracks. If the F4 only saves a multi-channel poly file, some NLEs won't load it if it contains more than two channels. In that case, you're back to Wave Agent.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    the free WaveAgent utility from Sound Devices
    Free is nice. Anonymous is better. I can't find a way.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Can't you just bring the two stereo files in and just split them into four mono - that's what you do in Premiere, I assume other editors are the same?

8. Collapse Details
    that's what you do in Premiere, I assume other editors are the same?"
    Not all, with some NLEs, it's quick and easy, with others it's a PITA and not possible in a lot of consumer NLE apps.
    Wave Agent is about as cheap and easy as it gets if your NLE can't do it.

9. Collapse Details
    The zoom f4 has phantom power I believe, so no need for a battery powered mic. Especially if you can power the F4 via DC.

You could look at the LyxPro microphones for a great value. Certainly better than what was built into the H4N.

You get a pair and each has capsules. Price can't be beat. Actually, they are out on their website and amazon but I am sure you can still find them somewhere. I snagged them a year ago and they're pretty good.

https://www.lyxpro.com/products/lyxs...ck-microphones

EDIT: found them here, a little higher in price but still a good value. Only 1 left? I wonder if LyxPro manufactured these to get their name out their as a loss-leader or something?

https://www.ecrater.com/p/30099467/s...xoCe4wQAvD_BwE

10. Collapse Details
    Just use your iPhone.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast