Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is the JVC GY-LS300 still a competitive camera today?
    Check out this recently posted review of the JVC LS300 on YouTube and you decide. I have owned and used a LS300 for the past two years and have no regrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhW4lQdFps

Enjoy.

JVC LS300 Rig.jpg
    Last edited by nutmegger; 04-27-2018 at 08:10 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Not exactly a shoulder mount camera is it. It is one of the cameras I would consider if we were replacing our HD cameras at work, the price is hard to forget and the quality is good enough for most things. The one thing that really hurts it for our uses is the lack of decent power zoom lens, something with a hand grip like zoom rocker like a traditional shoulder mount ENG camera. Or maybe we just need to refresh our thinking (I keep trying to bring people forward).

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Not exactly a shoulder mount camera is it. It is one of the cameras I would consider if we were replacing our HD cameras at work, the price is hard to forget and the quality is good enough for most things. The one thing that really hurts it for our uses is the lack of decent power zoom lens, something with a hand grip like zoom rocker like a traditional shoulder mount ENG camera. Or maybe we just need to refresh our thinking (I keep trying to bring people forward).
    As a former JVC GY-HD250U shoulder mount eng type camera owner, I agree with your comment. I primarily use the camera for interviews shot on tripod and use it on shoulder for b-roll. The AB battery is used to power the Atomos Ninja Blade recorder and an on camera Fiilex P180 video light. I will be replacing the Ninja Blade with the Ninja V when it becomes available. All things considered, for the $2.5K USD price today, it is an excellent value.

4. Collapse Details
    I spent a lot of time with the LS300 and I really loved the camera, but the sensor - at the end of the day - just wasn't good enough (IMO).

It has so much going for it and JVC worked hard over the years to make it better, but most people never gave it a chance.

5. Collapse Details
    Any whispers of an updated version?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    Any whispers of an updated version?
    I plan on attending NAB NY next week. I'll ask JVC.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I spent a lot of time with the LS300 and I really loved the camera, but the sensor - at the end of the day - just wasn't good enough (IMO).

It has so much going for it and JVC worked hard over the years to make it better, but most people never gave it a chance.
    I wonder if they can get their hands on the popular GH5S/E2/BMPCC4K/Terra4K sensor to stick it inside the LS300 mk2? I'm sure that would make many people very happy!
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

8. Collapse Details
    If JVC does not come out with an updated LS300, I am considering buying the BMPCC4K and making my LS300 the B-cam. Too much money invested in MFT glass.
    Last edited by nutmegger; 10-11-2018 at 07:49 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    I wonder if they can get their hands on the popular GH5S/E2/BMPCC4K/Terra4K sensor to stick it inside the LS300 mk2? I'm sure that would make many people very happy!
    I was at NAB NY today and spoke with a JVC rep about an updated LS300. He said if JVC develops a new 4K interchangeable lens camera is will most likely be based on the sensor/processor in the new HC-500/550 cameras ( http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102557 ). These new cameras are capable of recording 4K/60p 10-bit 422 ProRes internally. JVC had a non-functioning HC-550 on display. The rep said these cameras are scheduled to ship in the Spring. The camera has two XD slots below the EVF and what looked like a micro SSD slot on the left side of the camera rear. The JVC rep also mentioned a lot of people have been inquiring about a possible shoulder mount version of the HC550. The rep said JVC is studying its options in using the HC-550 sensor/processor in other 4K cameras.

As a side note, I did play a little bit with the BMPCC4K. Very nice camera. At it's price, BM should sell a ton of these. Also, Sony did not have a display at NAB NY, which surprised me.
    Last edited by nutmegger; 10-17-2018 at 06:24 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    re hc550, kind of a beast of a lens: F2.8 (wide) to F4.5 (tele), f=9.43mm to 188.6mm (f=28mm to 560mm (35mm equivalent)) + "40x lossless dynamic zoom " and OIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast