1. Collapse Details
    make "camera archive" from copy of card on HD?
    I don't use FCPX myself but am trying to help a client who's been having trouble importing files from an FS7.
    They've been told to import using "Camera Archives" which I've never heard of before, but everything I've read seems to suggest that FCPX needs to go to the original camera card or connect directly to the Camera itself to make a camera archive. I don't understand why that would be true as we normally make clones of the camera cards on a hard disk at the end of the day in the field.

Can't you just:
    1- make a copy of the camera card in the field on the Hard Disk as most productions do in the field.
    This gives you a folder that you've labelled with the shoot info and inside that a copy of the original camera info ( for an FS7 it says XDROOT)
    2- Then tell FCPX to make a camera archive from that folder which is a copy of the original camera card with all its metadata?

Is there any need to go to the original camera card?

A related question is can you make a camera archive simply from a folder full of individual ProRes Files?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    To import from a camera/archive, you do need the original media because that's when FCP X will make its own copy. When there is no card or camera, you can't do it (the option is disabled).

But keep in mind that copying your cards (exactly how they are) onto a hard drive is essentially the same thing...just another back-up of your media. When you do that, you can then just import them from there pointing to the folder(s) where you dumped everything and FCP X will read it as if it's a card/camera.

ProRes clips work differently and you have the option of copying the .movs during an import or leaving them where they are. You don't have a choice with a card; you have to copy it.

So if you have a folder of .mov clips on an external drive and you import them (but you leave those .mov clips on the external drive and don't copy them into FCP X), they may look like they are in the software but they are just being linked to. If you deleted that folder off the drive (again, without copying them into FCP X), they wouldn't be available in FCP X.

Not sure if that makes any sense...but in short, you don't need to import your footage straight from cards and can do it from folders/hard drive as long as you copied EVERYTHING AS IS. And other media like ProRes can be copied into an FCP X library OR left where it is.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Nor Bro,

That helps about the disabled option.

Now if you happen to have made UHD ProRes files already from your card, and you then import them into FCPX, then make proxies, edit and then link back out to your UHD files - Will that be as seamless as having started started with a camera archive or from folders/drive?

I'm asking because my client has already made the UHD ProRes and is having trouble for mysterious reasons importing from the cards that were copied onto a hard drive. Regardless of why they are having that trouble, is there any downside at all to just working from the ProRes files rather than the original card or copies of it?

4. Collapse Details
    Honestly, it's a bit difficult to troubleshoot online because I'm not exactly sure what you're saying or what the client is doing (even though you're telling me), but it sounds like he/she is making it more complicated than it needs to be.

FCP X makes it super simple.

For me, the most seamless process is to import and copy the original media from anywhere into the library, and let FCP X create all of the proxies. Once you do that, you can then switch over to the 'proxy' mode and edit everything flawlessly as is, and then switch back to your 'optimized/original' mode when you're ready to export. Your timeline/any edits aren't affected by this...it's all in the background.

There is no downside to working with ProRes files (it would actually be an upside as it would probably make the overall process easier for the editor).

If no editing has begun, I recommend starting from scratch (if possible) and importing everything you have straight from the cards (and that can be the actual physical media or the folders you created on external drives) and working with that.

I basically want to get whatever is on my cards straight into the timeline...no other steps. (FCP X's proxies wouldn't count as they wouldn't affect your original codec - XAVC or whatever you may have in your case - when you switch back to the 'optimized/original' mode.)
    Last edited by NorBro; 04-19-2018 at 12:52 AM.