Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Does anyone actually shoot with the C700?
    I've been looking for content shot on the C700 and there's a very minimal amount.

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with it?

Someone somewhere has to use it right?

Please share any experience or videos that you've seen shot on it.

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I've been looking too- not much released beyond Canon's short and a few tests/shorts on YouTube & Vimeo. At that price point it would appears most folks are using ARRI or Red: tried & true. The C700 FF is a different story: full frame and True 4K (5.9K downsampled sensor). With the recent releases of the ARRI LF and Sony VENICE, I think the C700 FF is a compelling option, especially if DPAF would be helpful for the shoot (typically shoots at that level have budgets for a focus puller). Previously, the C700 didn't offer much in IQ above the C300 II. The C700 FF will provide True 4K in full frame: something the ARRI LF can't provide (well below True 4K), and the VENICE still needs work on color science. Apparently DPAF will also work with anamorphic mode (Canon EF native lens + squeeze adapter).

Thinking the C300 III (or whatever is released near that price point) will have the FF sensor. The FF Sony A7 III looks pretty good at $2k.

3. Collapse Details
    I shot a short film last year on the orginal C700. I know it's used on a handful of TV shows and Netflix series right now. It's a camera they designed for larger crews with 1st and 2nd AC's. The C300 body style can actually slow you down on a bigger set if the AC needs to get on the operator side of the camera every time you need to change a setting.

The body looks cumbersome, but it's actually great to operate. Body is less than 8lbs, I think it's lighter than my C300mkii all rigged up. The EVF was great, but the canon stock rigging on the top was pretty garbage.

Image wise, it's fantastic. It's obviously the same sensor as the C300mkii, but the extra processors in the body allow it to get a much cleaner image. The MK2 can sometimes run into banding issues, none of that issue on the 700. I did some initial tests that convinced me to shoot the short film between 1250 and 3200 ISO.

I like the camera a lot, but I agree with many that it's not camera I'd buy. It's large and warrants a higher rental price than the mk2, but doesn't give me 200fps. I'd pick it over my mk2 for a feature film for sure.

These are some quick grades I did from the short film, admittedly not the best showcase for the camera.

LORD_ZA.00_01_26_03.Still002.jpg
    LORD_ZA.00_06_32_06.Still014.jpg
    LORD_ZA.00_05_12_17.Still015.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info and captures John. I interviewed Russell Carpenter, ASC about his experience shooting the promo film for Canon and he truly loved the camera and I got to shoot some boring test footage of a model, handheld with the Codex back, then the Codex reps took the footage through their on-sight color correction and grading process, that was impressive.

Personally I think the C700 was a case of if Canon had come out with it two years earlier, they could have had a real contender to be at the top echelons but at the time it came out, most people are already entrenched with Arri or RED at that price point, buying or renting. The C700FF gives them a fighting chance at least. I do think that DPAF can be amazing, I've shot dancers several times on the C300 MKII and my C200 when the worlds best AC couldn't have tracked the focus of the whirling and spinning dancers nearly as well without blocking and rehearsal and the DPAF on both cameras nailed it the first time when we didn't even know where and how the dancers were going to move. That could still be valuable on a camera like the C700, even with a 1st and a 2nd hanging out so that's something that the C700FF has that none of it's competition has. At the time, I can see why Canon signed the deal with Codex but moving forward, I think making it the only way to shoot RAW with the camera is now a hindrance, Codex gear and post workflow is a whole different level of cost than shooting RAW on an external recorder or Cinema RAW Light internally. It's a great system but really only features are going to use it, I haven't seen too many episodics want to delve that deep.
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post

Personally I think the C700 was a case of if Canon had come out with it two years earlier...
    Yep...

6. Collapse Details
    DPAF is one of the greatest developments in camera tech. I hope cinema Lenses start getting af motors

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AlkaliDigital View Post
    DPAF is one of the greatest developments in camera tech. I hope cinema Lenses start getting af motors

Cinema cameras already have a focusing method far more adept, capable, sophisticated, and intuitive than DPAF. It's a system known as a 1st AC. And it can have focus follow dialogue and take focus-rack cues from things as subtle as a facial expression or an exhale from an actor.
    Big sources matter.

3 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Cinema cameras already have a focusing method far more adept, capable, sophisticated, and intuitive than DPAF. It's a system known as a 1st AC. And it can have focus follow dialogue and take focus-rack cues from things as subtle as a facial expression or an exhale from an actor.
    Have you used the DPAF on the cinema cameras? It's a tool, not a replacement for somebody controlling focus.

9. Collapse Details
    DPAF is a good start. At the cinema camera price point, 3D depth maps should be provided so an accurate focus plane can be visualized in real-time, allowing for precise manual AF (very helpful for 4K+). AI assisted eye focus along with AI assisted narrative transitions are also possible. With technology than runs under 1 Watt. On your phone or drone. And exists today (eye tracking already available on consumer cameras). Perhaps stop there before the robots take over everything

10. Collapse Details
    I've only ever seen one in the field. Felt like a Unicorn sighting.
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast