Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    Yeah - I'm a bit confused too... as I've been digging through the manual the last 10 minutes myself. Maybe Doug misspoke ?? I believe the F55 can do this ... but to my knowledge, the FS7 cannot. Would certainly love to be wrong.
    I just spent $85 to try and find out, and am feeling rather impatient with myself as my call time is 7:30AM and I'm going to have to drive through a bunch of snow to get to my shoot in the morning. Having this work would make my day much easier and I now feel like the carrot of making my life easier tomorrow has been dangled in front of my face! LOL! Must go to bed soon!!

2. Collapse Details
    SORRY. Yes, I am wrong. I knew you were asking about the FS7 but for some reason I had the FS5 in my head. The FS5 can do proxies internally, but not the FS7. My mistake. I apologize for the inconvenience and promise to be more careful next time. Too many similar cameras to keep track of for my tiny brain!

Vintengro, request a refund through Vimeo and I'll approve it if/when they ask me.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintegreo View Post
    I just spent $85 to try and find out, and am feeling rather impatient with myself as my call time is 7:30AM and I'm going to have to drive through a bunch of snow to get to my shoot in the morning. Having this work would make my day much easier and I now feel like the carrot of making my life easier tomorrow has been dangled in front of my face! LOL! Must go to bed soon!!
    Well - it probably won't help at this late hour - but I know the Video Devices PIX series of recorders can do this (I just edited my earlier post to that effect). My PixE5 allows me to record HD proxies (with burned in LUT) to SD card while simulatanouesly recording ProRes file to the speed drive & XAVC-I to the internal XQD card in camera as well. Maybe your drive will pass a dealer that rents recorders.... good luck with your shoot either way.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    SORRY. Yes, I am wrong. I knew you were asking about the FS7 but for some reason I had the FS5 in my head. The FS5 can do proxies internally, but not the FS7. My mistake. I apologize for the inconvenience and promise to be more careful next time. Too many similar cameras to keep track of for my tiny brain!

Vintengro, request a refund through Vimeo and I'll approve it if/when they ask me.
    LOL! I wish you could hear me truly laughing out loud. Do you have any idea how slow someone talks when you're trying to quickly find the spot where they say what you want to hear? Will do on the refund part, and thank you for responding quickly so I can stop looking for a solution! Be well! Your videos are awesome.

By the way, Doug, what's your favorite way to provide a client with low res footage from an FS7 if needed?

Take care,

Tim

5. Collapse Details
    By the way, Doug, what's your favorite way to provide a client with low res footage from an FS7 if needed?
    Fortunately I have never found myself in that situation with the type of clients I work with, nor do I expect to, so I don't have any experienced advice for you. Other people on this thread have already suggested the things I would look into. Sorry again for giving you the wrong information.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 04-16-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

6. Collapse Details
    Client ended up providing a hard drive and gave them the footage from the day plus a link to Catalyst browse. Done! But...that said..I wish that the FS7 just had this feature as I would happily use it in some cases like this.

7. Collapse Details
    Could I ask what kind of job it was? Since they needed to look through the footage....

8. Collapse Details
    I'm not the OP, but it's not that unusual a request. Many clients lately want to do their interviews in 4k at a fixed focal length (preferably a prime lens) so they have more re-framing / options in post. I also do plenty of shoots for clients who fly in / shoot interviews all day / fly out that night - and want to review the footage on the plane. Having smaller files for them to look at can be convenient - particularly if it means they can avoid using an external drive on the plane.

9. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have a favorite streamlined way to give the client footage for simple review purposes? My laptop will be setup to do file copies nearby while we're doing this, too, so I don't know if that helps.
    Obviously it's too late and it sounds like giving them a copy of the native files was a pretty painless solution in the end. Just one other possibility that might help out other people in future, would be to use a completely independent lo-fidelity camera setup of some sort that's recording the screen of your monitor during the shoot. I'm thinking of a low-end DSLR or even a smartphone (potentially even the client's!). Obviously for this to be useful you need to have the timecode displayed on the output monitor at all times. :-)

Obviously this wouldn't be ideal in many situations, depending on duration of the footage and the preferences of the client, but if convenience is their #1 concern, and they're confident with the more technical parameters of the footage, I've found once or twice that this saved me quite a bit of time and effort. ;-)

Glad you found a solution that worked for you anyway. Cheers,

jason
    ----------------
    Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
    Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
    Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrooks View Post
    Obviously it's too late and it sounds like giving them a copy of the native files was a pretty painless solution in the end. Just one other possibility that might help out other people in future, would be to use a completely independent lo-fidelity camera setup of some sort that's recording the screen of your monitor during the shoot. I'm thinking of a low-end DSLR or even a smartphone (potentially even the client's!). Obviously for this to be useful you need to have the timecode displayed on the output monitor at all times. :-)

Obviously this wouldn't be ideal in many situations, depending on duration of the footage and the preferences of the client, but if convenience is their #1 concern, and they're confident with the more technical parameters of the footage, I've found once or twice that this saved me quite a bit of time and effort. ;-)

Glad you found a solution that worked for you anyway. Cheers,

jason
    Interesting idea, Jason. Honestly, I wish they'd just make it possible to turn on proxy capability. Copy the special folder full of proxies over to the client's thumb drive and it's done. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has had a producer or client making the soundbite choices and then perhaps passing it back for the edit, and it would be nice to have a lightweight thing you could give them without a ton of effort. Back in the day the proxy files from the XDCAM disc camera that I was using worked swimmingly for this. And, for some reason, Sony thinks this is a useful feature on the FS5, so I must not be completely off base in my thinking.

Anyway, it's all good and I appreciate all the input received here.

Thanks,

Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast