Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I would get an Ursa mini pro, nearly identical look, faster setup times, more easy to fly or grip.

2. Collapse Details
    One major caveat (noted by Brawley) is the lack of OLPF and IR filtration. You can see it in his model's shirt, and (although subtle) in Collardy's model's hair in the second shot. The workaround is an IR filter, but, it's still a workaround that takes time and extensive iterative testing to get right, so bear that in mind. It's not so easy to correct in the grade without optical filtration.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Unless you have a particular need for the Mini, steadicam, gimbal, drone etc. I'd suggest simply going with two Alexa Classics instead. You'll save a pretty penny. And if you're just on dollies or sticks, it'll make literally no difference to your shoot.
    Outside of the interview yes I will fly it on a ronin. Inside the interview I wanted to leverage the higher resolution to punch in and get a tighter frame on both setups. Also I'm a wondering about sliders (no dolly) since the weight could mean a more robust slider, and I'm running a crew of 4 including myself.

I'm not 100% opposed to what you're saying - we'll see. Professionally it may benefit me to work with both.

If do find it interesting all the Black Magic support to match, I haven't worked w/ the ursa mini either, all of my experience to date is Sony, Canon and to a lesser extent Panasonic. I'd like to mess around with it as well, but I'll try to keep it all one camera so as to not over-complicate one shoot.
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

4. Collapse Details
    Remember that the Mini is just uprezzed to 4K rather than so called "true" 4K
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OSCURO View Post
    One major caveat (noted by Brawley) is the lack of OLPF and IR filtration. You can see it in his model's shirt, and (although subtle) in Collardy's model's hair in the second shot. The workaround is an IR filter, but, it's still a workaround that takes time and extensive iterative testing to get right, so bear that in mind. It's not so easy to correct in the grade without optical filtration.
    IR pollution is not a problem with the ursa mini pro, it has a IR filter built in. The regular ursa mini 4.6K needs an IR filter though.
    An OLPF can be purchased third party from mosaic, but I have been shooting without it without a problem.

6. Collapse Details
    All cameras have IR filters in them, but some are weaker or stronger than others.

You have to cut the IR to a certain point or you'd be tripping out via your camera.

7. Collapse Details
    yeah I believe it's in the neighbourhood of 3.6k or something, but that's more than enough to 'punch in'.

Regarding IR filters, I should probably take one with me when shooting cannabis grow ops. They have such difficult conditions to shoot in and it makes grading in post a big challenge. I'm interested to see the extent they change the image!
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

8. Collapse Details
    IR pollution is a problem for every camera taking into account the strength of its own built-in filtration, but the severity of the pollution depends on how hard you're pushing the ND and the lighting conditions in which those NDs are being used in, considering everything else in the optical path.

An OLPF can be purchased third party from mosaic
    Unfortunately, Mosaic Engineering has been silent for quite a while since the Ursa Mini Pro was announced and all of their products are backordered, so no, currently there is no OLPF available for that camera. I'm not one to speculate as to why, but I hope David is well.

Apologies to 'fatman' for throwing this thread off course ranting about IR which has been discussed elsewhere. Maybe I should switch to decaf...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12