Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    You cannot feed a RAW signal over the SDI by first passing it through a Gratical Eye and then into a recorder. The signal is RAW and cannot be seen by the Gratical.

There is only one SDI output on the EVA1. Panasonic has enabled cloning of the LCD on the HDMI output in the EVA 2.0 firmware. This is the signal that should be sent to an onboard monitor or viewfinder.
    That was exactly the issue the prevented me from purchasing the Gratical Eye for the EVA1. Simply that the Gratical would not understand the raw from the SDI output if you shoot raw. And it has only SDI IN.

So either you use an additional HDMI to SDI converter, or another monitore like the heavier Gratical HD or a SmallHD 702/703 or you have crazy ideas as I had: if you record to raw you have to use the Shogun Inferno anyway. Well, the Shogun has both SDI in but also HDMI in. You could connect BOTH SDI and HDMI from the EVA1 to the Shogun and clone the LCD to HDMI. Simply by switching on the Shogun between SDI-in and HDMI-in you can see the full information on the HDMI-input what works with the 1599nits also in sunshine. And still can record to raw using SDI. Not very comfortable but it works.
    Kind regards,

Wolfgang

2. Collapse Details
    I would need to check on the Shogun Inferno but I do not believe that it can record one signal while monitoring another. So you would only be able to use the HDMI signal while setting up a shot, not recording it. The switching between two signals, one being HD video over HDMI the other being RAW data of various possible resolutions over SDI, will likely be several menu adjustments each time, making for a very cumbersome method of working.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    Based on this video https://youtu.be/r02HywX3GuY?t=21m20s

Atomos Shogun Inferno is the end of the chain when recording in RAW?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    My .02, if a manufacturer ever has the choice of putting an SDI OUT & HDMI OUT *OR* two SDI OUT's on a professional camera, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS build the camera with multiple SDI's. NEVER sacrifice an SDI for HDMI.
    Agreed, but if it is only HD / 3G SDI you require duplicated use one of the following. Requires no external power, can be mounted on a camera without two much drama, is full broadcast quality and gives your camera two SDI outputs. Just remember if both outputs are not being used you shouldn't have one output floating. Well you can but for absolute quality the unused output needs to be terminated with a high quality 75 Ohm terminator. Know a couple of techs who swear by them. Was thinking of getting one myself as this sort of kit can always be useful at times for a variety of monitoring situations. Not super cheap but quality kit and well worth the $$$'s in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFJEgwStjXE

990 series down the bottom of this page.

http://www.etslan.com/products.cgi?cat=2

Chris Young

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Agreed, but if it is only HD / 3G SDI you require duplicated use one of the following. Requires no external power, can be mounted on a camera without two much drama, is full broadcast quality and gives your camera two SDI outputs. Just remember if both outputs are not being used you shouldn't have one output floating. Well you can but for absolute quality the unused output needs to be terminated with a high quality 75 Ohm terminator. Know a couple of techs who swear by them. Was thinking of getting one myself as this sort of kit can always be useful at times for a variety of monitoring situations. Not super cheap but quality kit and well worth the $$$'s in the long run.

Chris Young
    Does a passive splitter of this type introduce any appreciable signal delay?

6. Collapse Details
    So, use the gratical HD instead of the gratical eye - done.
    www.vanheestvisual.com
    FS7 Owner / Operator
    A7S / Ronin

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
    So, use the gratical HD instead of the gratical eye - done.
    twice the weight

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I would need to check on the Shogun Inferno but I do not believe that it can record one signal while monitoring another. So you would only be able to use the HDMI signal while setting up a shot, not recording it. The switching between two signals, one being HD video over HDMI the other being RAW data of various possible resolutions over SDI, will likely be several menu adjustments each time, making for a very cumbersome method of working.
    I did not say that you can monitor by HDMI and record at SDI at the same time. You have to switch. But to switch is not so cumbersome as you think. To switch means that you change the selection in the menu of the Inferno from SDI to HDMI only - two clicks. And sure, all the other settings must set in the beginning one time.

One major limitation is that if one has selected CDNG or PRR you cannot switch between HDMI and SDI. So that works for recording from the raw input to ProRes or DNxHR only.

Sure, to have a second display also in the sunshine is easier.
    Last edited by wschmid; 04-16-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    Kind regards,

Wolfgang

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post

Chris Young
    Hmmm... Although my 300 is definitely not my "A" s35 cam anymore, it may still be worth getting one of those.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Does a passive splitter of this type introduce any appreciable signal delay?
    No as they are passive so no processing delay. Any piece of equipment has a delay in practice. A piece of cable has a delay. In fact years back we used to use drums of cable to introduce delay. From memory it was about 5 nano seconds per meter. Through these splitters it would be in nano seconds. 1 Nano is 1.000,000,000, 10 to the power of -9 . Nothing the human eye will see. They would be useless in a broadcast situation if they introduced any appreciable delay.

Chris Young
    Last edited by cyvideo; 04-16-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast