Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    Wow, with the exception of the winners, this is a MUCH more mixed bag than I thought it'd be. Films I thought would place much higher didn't, and films I thought might place lower didn't. My own film ranked slightly below average (41 out of 79), which not to sound like a bragging jerk, but thought it might do slightly better than that.

Oh well, just more to strive for next time.

For those in the lower third, think of it this way: The ones who won or ranked REALLY high will have a lot of expectations next time around to deliver just as well if not better ... however, when you're near the bottom, there's only one way to go & that's up! I think from what everyone's learned this go around, there will be a lot of surprises & impressive stuff delivered in the next one.

Totally agree: This really gives you a more realistic idea to how the normal human being will coceive a film. We all see films that we percieve as awesome, then we ask a friend what they think, and we find out there are total different perspectives out there. It's good to know that whilst you thought your film was a 7, it was really a 5; and so forth. Although I don't really agree w/ the results on all the films--------> I can def. learn from them....Not everyone likes to hear why they suck.......I love it.

2. Collapse Details
    Really what I'm curious to know and I may be the only one is how many votes each film got...meaning, how many people actually voted on it. Not that it makes a difference, but I'm just curious.

I think the numbers are interesting, but thats about it. They don't really mean a whole lot. A film that scores low can still be bought and sold. The biz is amazing.

It was a great experience all around and a hell of a lot of fun.

Again, great job everyone!

-Robert

3. Collapse Details
    Its important to realize that these numbers Barry posted arnt the official placings, as we have about 15 people that didnt send in the DVD's.. so they will be removed from the placings, moving everyone up. So alot of people will do better, nobody will do worse than the raw scored that these examplify.

4. Collapse Details
    All the films are in top 1%
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wcs
    One note: I think it's great that he posted these scores. I think they are worthy of examination. I'm commenting on the everything that happens after that.

A man is crossing the street, gets hit by a car. He lies bleeding in the middle of the road. You see the whole event, and see the man's brother as he kneels over the dying fellow. The scene plays out as you'd expect it.

A fellow on the side of the street says "serves him right, the walk sign wasn't on".

Should the Brother:
    A) look in the direction of the man, nod his personal agreement, and thank the man for his honesty.
    B) ignore the man, but accept the subtle insight that was gleaned from his comments. His dying brother really was a stupid idiot.
    C) other (be creative in his response)

I often make suggestions that are not for myself. I make some suggestions because I know some people haven't spent time around the assholes in this life, and become hardened by their manic need to karmically punch people. I feel the need to protect them, because they have a chance at real happiness with their illusions, whereas we can only hope to one day have something close enough to be comforting. I'm friends with the weak. I am an asshole.
    As for assholes rubbing someone's face in their score ... not gonna happen, and if it did, so many people would be on that person ripping them an Olypmic sized new one -- that's the way it is around here.

Also ... I think there are something like 8,000 members total on this site.

ONLY 1%, however, had the resources, time, or sheer drive to get it done even without the resources or time and to really put themselves out there ... which is a very vulnerable thing to do.

You know that some people had to have had ample time, had their camera sitting around, and the excuses piled up because they were afraid to share part of themselves.

Not you. Filmmakers don't make excuses, they make films and that's what you did because you had the balls to do it.

Not only that you had the balls and good taste to use the term "Ass Hat" in your film, -- a word I first learned here on this forum, lol.

All of the films listed in this thread are in the top 1% in more ways than one and certainly in the balls department.

Okay I'm going to say "balls" one more time. There.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

5. Collapse Details
    Sorry if this gets a bit cheesy...

I just sat back and started watching an early draft of the DVD. I quickly became overwhelmed by the amount of work you guys put into making these films.. The prizes where pretty good, but i truly believe that everyone did this not for the prizes, not for the free shirt, but for taking what you learned here, and "giving back" to the community, to show what you guys are made of, and what you are capable of.

When I started DVXuser 3 years ago, I wanted to create a tight community of filmmakers, all using the same cameras, to be able to pick each others brains, grab ideas, and to give support when something went wrong, which we all know is inevitable. It makes me very glad to see that that is exactly where we are at, one big family, and to alot of people our time spent here is more than just filmmaking.... It's like we have our own little town.. DVXuser town... a community that has its outcasts, our heros and our stars... and above all, a hell of alot of talent.

Thanks everyone, for making DVXuser.com what it is.

Now time to pull up my panties and get back to work

6. Collapse Details
    awwwww....

7. Collapse Details
    i think im gonna cry...

u da man JL! you did good dawg!

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    You should be damn proud, Jarred.

DVXuser is at the edge of the digital revolution where the price point, exchange of information, and accessibility of technology converge and make filmmaking an art that is available to everybody.

And the coolest part is that we aren't shoving each other aside as we hoard new infinite possibilities, we invite, and cultivate, and take deserved pride when the newbie cuts his or her teeth, or achieves some new benchmark.

Thatís huge, and the ripples go far beyond even the small DV Nirvana youíve created here.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    Sorry if this gets a bit cheesy...

I just sat back and started watching an early draft of the DVD. I quickly became overwhelmed by the amount of work you guys put into making these films.. The prizes where pretty good, but i truly believe that everyone did this not for the prizes, not for the free shirt, but for taking what you learned here, and "giving back" to the community, to show what you guys are made of, and what you are capable of.
    Er ... actually, I did it for the T-Shirt.

And to get girls.

I feel so ... ashamed ...

10. Collapse Details
    I was thrilled to find a place like DVXuser and to search the postings to learn more about filmmaking and the DVX100A. There's no other place like it.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate in the Zombiefest and to try and fit in here.

Thanks for all your hard work, Jarred (and Barry).

-Robert

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast