Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dana Dolly; tripod vs stand
    Its time to move on from the dolly I built in my garage 5 years ago. It worked great with the A7s but now that I'm using an Ursa Mini it just isn't burly enough to get a stable move.
    I've been looking at the Dana Dolly with original track ends as my first choice. The only question I cant seem to find an answer to is; is there a way to support it with a bowl adapter equipped tripod (via 3/8ths most likely) instead of the Matthews stands? I already have a few sets of 100mm bowl legs, and I don't really want to or have the space to add stands to my kit.
    I'm also not married to the idea of a Dana, it would be nice to be able to rent it out from time to time and I think the Dana is the most desirable as a rental, but I'd be open to other options, maybe that I'm just not aware of.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    one is french and its different for that reason.

2. Collapse Details
    Hi Dory,

Have you considered the Dutti Dolly from Matthews? I was looking at the Dana but now I'm looking at this one because it seems more flexible with being able to be used on a variety of tracks, on the floor as a doorway and also with accessories like bazookas and seats. Have a look if you haven't seen it yet.

https://products.msegrip.com/products/the-dutti-dolly

-Andrew

3. Collapse Details
    Dory
    I can't answer your question but

I simply built track ends that go on 100 bowls Using mainly off the shelf parts

I can't really see when I would use a hard to level light stand to mount track

You seem on the right lines

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dory_breaux View Post
    Its time to move on from the dolly I built in my garage 5 years ago. It worked great with the A7s but now that I'm using an Ursa Mini it just isn't burly enough to get a stable move.
    I've been looking at the Dana Dolly with original track ends as my first choice. The only question I cant seem to find an answer to is; is there a way to support it with a bowl adapter equipped tripod (via 3/8ths most likely) instead of the Matthews stands? I already have a few sets of 100mm bowl legs, and I don't really want to or have the space to add stands to my kit.
    I'm also not married to the idea of a Dana, it would be nice to be able to rent it out from time to time and I think the Dana is the most desirable as a rental, but I'd be open to other options, maybe that I'm just not aware of.
    The original track ends for the dana dolly can be s*%t because of the particular and expensive stands/mount you need for them. Look for the NEWER universal track ends and they can go on regular stands. Possibly you can rig something up to put on your bowl legs.

Also by the way you can turn the original track ends upside down (or new track end) and put on Apple boxes.. that's what I do.

Personally I love the dana dolly because you can really set it up on anything - don't like the track length? A $5 hacksaw takes care of that, you buy new pipe for $40 if you need to.... endless possibilities. Sliders are WAY too expensive for a 20 lbs camera rig and then what do you do when you run out of length..

cheers,
    Last edited by starcentral; 04-10-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Dennis Hingsberg

5. Collapse Details
    In the long run, you'll be happier with something like a pair of low-boy combo stands (with a Rky Mt. leg for leveling). Matthews also makes a cool mini stand to let you get low...and I think I just saw a video for a new Matthews setup with two additional brackets to hang the track lower and really low to the ground. Like Dennis notes above, I also carry a pair of 2x4 blocks that I can put on the ground, and flip the track to dolly away.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I recently picked up the longvalley Doug dolly https://youtu.be/CbzITiFJmcM Itís a really good deal and smooth as silk.

I looked at a bunch of stands and wound up getting the avenger stands specifically for the Dana dolly. They were on sale at Barndoorlighting. They are the right height and have Rocky Mountain legs which will be great outside. Regular stands are too high. Plus, as suggested, any lower you can use apple boxes. So nice to be able to operate shots like this on your own which is what these dollys provide.

7. Collapse Details
    Ill just elaborate on my setup.

Ive been shooting static product in the studio, S35_70mm sometimes longer, and I need flat rails.

I have..
    Rails with 100mm bowl at each end.

Sachler video sticks (1990s ENG classics)
    Manfrotto 028 photo sticks with 100mm adapter on top.

Procedure..
    1 set sachler sticks.
    2 place dolly track
    3 add 028 sticks, a little low
    4 raise 028 using centre columb until rails are level (laser level level)
    5 tighten 100mm bowls ensuring level in second axis.

--

Last year I worked on a TV pilot as grip and we did lots of shots on a rocky and sloping beach.. that was the point I gave up on using light stands for track and went the route of 100m bowl sticks.

8. Collapse Details
    As the owner of a few sliders and my producing partner owns the Dana Dolly, I have one word for you about any slider or dolly. Rent.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the quick responses everyone, I'd forgotten how great that forum is!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGentle View Post
    Hi Dory,

Have you considered the Dutti Dolly from Matthews? I was looking at the Dana but now I'm looking at this one because it seems more flexible with being able to be used on a variety of tracks, on the floor as a doorway and also with accessories like bazookas and seats. Have a look if you haven't seen it yet.

https://products.msegrip.com/products/the-dutti-dolly

-Andrew
    I have, it's a tad out of what I want to spend right now.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Dory
    I can't answer your question but

I simply built track ends that go on 100 bowls Using mainly off the shelf parts

I can't really see when I would use a hard to level light stand to mount track

You seem on the right lines
    Could you PM me a picture or more info on what you built?

Quote Originally Posted by starcentral View Post
    The original track ends for the dana dolly can be s*%t because of the particular and expensive stands/mount you need for them. Look for the NEWER universal track ends and they can go on regular stands. Possibly you can rig something up to put on your bowl legs.

Also by the way you can turn the original track ends upside down (or new track end) and put on Apple boxes.. that's what I do.

Personally I love the dana dolly because you can really set it up on anything - don't like the track length? A $5 hacksaw takes care of that, you buy new pipe for $40 if you need to.... endless possibilities. Sliders are WAY too expensive for a 20 lbs camera rig and then what do you do when you run out of length what do you do?

cheers,
    It looks like the originals would be easy to drill and tap, whereas the universal ones I'd have to modify them a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by hscully View Post
    I recently picked up the longvalley Doug dolly https://youtu.be/CbzITiFJmcM It’s a really good deal and smooth as silk.

I looked at a bunch of stands and wound up getting the avenger stands specifically for the Dana dolly. They were on sale at Barndoorlighting. They are the right height and have Rocky Mountain legs which will be great outside. Regular stands are too high. Plus, as suggested, any lower you can use apple boxes. So nice to be able to operate shots like this on your own which is what these dollys provide.
    How's the durability? My only concern is that it's made of wood. Hardwood, but I'm pretty hard on my gear (shoot mostly mountain biking and fly fishing) so durability is something I'm always concious of.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Ill just elaborate on my setup

Ive been shooting static product in the studio, S35_70mm sometimes longer, and I need flat rails.

I have..
    Rails with 100mm bowl at each end.

Sachler video sticks (1990s ENG classics)
    Manfrotto 028 photo sticks with 100mm adapter on top.

Procedure..
    1 set sachler sticks.
    2 place dolly track
    3 add 028 sticks, a little low
    4 raise 028 using centre columb until rails are level (laser level level)
    5 tighten 100mm bowls ensuring level in second axis.

--

Last year I worked on a TV pilot as grip and we did lots of shots on a rocky and sloping beach.. that was the point I gave up on using light stands for track and went the route of 100m bowl sticks.
    What track ends are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    As the owner of a few sliders and my producing partner owns the Dana Dolly, I have one word for you about any slider or dolly. Rent.
    I'd end up buying multiple systems a few times over if I rented. I also shoot very unplanned quite often and don't have time to line up rentals.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    one is french and its different for that reason.

10. Collapse Details
    My track ends are two scaff clamps and a bit of 1.5 X 3/4 bar

Here we see some tensioner a central for motorisation

You can't see the 100mm bowls underneath

https://twitter.com/sammorganmoore/s...650498048?s=21

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast