Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post

$$$. $1300 base price + rentals as needed is a lot more doable / psychologically attractive than 5k up front. And rather than admit "I can't afford/justify a 5k cam", most people are going to say "I don't need a 5k cam, my 1k cam can do basically the same thing!"

I still instinctively feel though it really won’t be the same thing. It might be close, but it won’t be the same. From an image point of view alone the sensors are different. One does better DR and one has better low light performance. They are different, so that equation doens’t make much sense to me. But maybe for some ?

JB
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    They are different, so that equation doens’t make much sense to me. But maybe for some ?
    It sounds insane because you've been doing this long enough to understand that success comes from understanding how to use the "best tool for the job"... but for whatever reason (I suspect a combination of $ and inexperience), a lot of people on the internet seem to want to hitch their wagon to one camera / one manufacturer and proclaim the rest inferior/obsolete/etc. This thread being a pretty shining example of that.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I'll say it, I can't justify a $5k+ camera body. But that's also why I'm still using GH2's because I can't justify anything "better" for video. If only Fuji had built that killer mixed mode camera that we all wanted.

4. Collapse Details
    Chiming in late I know but...certainly not game over, hopefully a game changer as so many people have essentially said already on this thread. I was previously looking at the FS700+7Q combo as the cheapest way to shoot 4K raw but then this BMPCCLOLWTFBBQ4k is announced. If they deliver on these features its a no brainer. It's certainly not the camera for every situation and I won't be selling my GH5 to buy it, but dang. Hopefully it can fit and balance on a Crane 2. Would have been great if they made the hand grip detachable at least, I'd be ok with a 4" screen to accommodate that. I'd be interested in a breakdown of the engineering choices involved.

5. Collapse Details
    Posted this in another thread but -

It is not a gh5 in terms that you cant take a pictures. That will always be a plus for the gh5.

Also, no aa filter. Get ready for moire and aliasing, even if you shoot in 4k. The ursa 4.6 suffers from moire and its a s35, so i can only imagine how bad it will be on a s16.

Also, no tiltable screen means low shots will be hard. Yes you can add a bunch of stuff, but once you do, your now in another category of gear.

That said, once an aa filter is released for it (and you can be sure it will happen), i will probably get one.
    Last edited by FrancisT; Yesterday at 01:13 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisT View Post
    Posted this in another thread but -

It is not a gh5 in terms that you cant take a pictures. That will always be a plus for the gh5

???? Stills? Pretty sure it can take stills. Maybe not
    high enough megapixel stills for your liking but I think
    it does take them.
    https://www.diyphotography.net/the-b...-need-to-know/

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskacameradude View Post
    ???? Stills? Pretty sure it can take stills. Maybe not
    high enough megapixel stills for your liking but I think
    it does take them.
    https://www.diyphotography.net/the-b...-need-to-know/
    There's a big misconception and slightly deceptive marketing around the still capabilities of the Pocket 4K. It is a glorified screenshot of the video feed. The camera lacks a physical shutter thus will always display rolling shutter artifacts. The GH5s, despite being geared towards video as well, is still a much better photo camera due to its shutter and wayyyy better AF in stills mode.

IMO, the stills mode to the Pocket will be best used in location scouting, lighting tests, and reference photos for production.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MurtlandPhoto View Post
    IMO, the stills mode to the Pocket will be best used in location scouting, lighting tests, and reference photos for production.
    That’s pretty much all it’s for including the UMP’s stills mode...it will not be as useful as almost any other camera that’s actually built for taking pictures.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930