Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    For the record, the P4K is also controllable from a smartphone. It also has reliable autofocus, just not flaky continuous autofocus.
    I have not seen the app. Is there one for Android or just iOS ?. As to autofocus the clips I have seen of testing it show totally unacceptable hunting so not usable to check focus while recording and it does not have continuous autofocus at all. So touch auto focus before recording looks usable but not otherwise. I often adjust focus with the app on my GH5 or GH5S while recording to focus on a particular action. Continuous autofocus is not something I use but when I had the GH5 first I did test and for me it seemed to work as well as my Sony camcorders ( which also like to focus on the background some times !!! )

2. Collapse Details

To add regarding auto focus, I tested my lumix 12-35 on the p4k and things to note if your coming from a GH4 or other lumix cameras;

The touch focus works but you can't use it while recording.

Upon hitting the AF button or tapping on screen area to focus, the focus will hunt back and forth for 4 to 5 seconds.

When it finds focus the square on screen will disappear, other than that, there is no confirm beep. I feel they should at least add a confidence symbol or sound when focus is acquired, like in GH cameras the white square turns green when focus is achieved and theres also a beep you can turn on if you want.
    Ted Ramasola
    Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

3. Collapse Details
    Been like this since 2012...but a focus confirmation sound would be nice.

4. Collapse Details
    Does it need to be said that a cinema camera really has no place having auto focus?

To me it sounds like auto focus on the p4k is not really auto focus but more of a focus assist tool. To be honest I really don’t need/want a cinema camera to have auto focus. I really consider this a non issue and really wonder why anybody else would buy a cinema camera and then go out and shoot stuff that is ok with auto focus.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Carefull this is the "pet cemetery" of DVXdebates

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    Does it need to be said that a cinema camera really has no place having auto focus?

To me it sounds like auto focus on the p4k is not really auto focus but more of a focus assist tool. To be honest I really don’t need/want a cinema camera to have auto focus. I really consider this a non issue and really wonder why anybody else would buy a cinema camera and then go out and shoot stuff that is ok with auto focus.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Well, sure, but depending on what tests you do those differences will either be apparent of hidden. There are already plenty of clips floating around YouTube and Vimeo that reveal the P4K's IQ differences.
    Yes but most of the clips leave it up to your imagination because there is not a comparison. A placebo works best when you already believe it.

7. Collapse Details
    I posted this on the Blackmagic forum. It could use some seconding.

I have a FEATURE REQUEST:

Programmable focus points. The camera can lock focus with the touch screen, but it doesn't REMEMBER the distance, and instead hunts around every time to find the focus again. We should be able to lock in a couple of focus-pulling options and have the camera return to that point with the push of a button, or touchscreen option. This is a "CINE" camera right? You don't have your camera hunting around to focus in the cinema. This should be an easy software solution, since the camera can already do the hard lifting. It just needs to REMEMBER the data and recall it at the operator's touch.

8. Collapse Details
    I really like the AF on the P4K like the AF on the GH5 its so crappy that it will force you to focus manually. Sony and Canon have really bad AF because it'd deludes you into believing that you can use it and then you look at the footage and every 3rd take is crap.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    I really like the AF on the P4K like the AF on the GH5 its so crappy that it will force you to focus manually. Sony and Canon have really bad AF because it'd deludes you into believing that you can use it and then you look at the footage and every 3rd take is crap.
    Sorry can't agree. I camera autofocus that hunts while in record like the BMPCC4K is a disaster. Also the feature request that mail4joeg wants is exactly what the GH5 and GH5S have now for 3 points. Camera can also remember the lens position after it has been switched off and back on again. Also the one touch autofocus on the GH5 and GH5S is fine. The complaint for the GH5 is for continuous autofocus that the BMPCC4K does not have at all and it is actual not bad. Just not good as a vlogging camera to hold on to the persons face while they swing it around !!!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
    Sorry can't agree. I camera autofocus that hunts while in record like the BMPCC4K is a disaster. Also the feature request that mail4joeg wants is exactly what the GH5 and GH5S have now for 3 points. Camera can also remember the lens position after it has been switched off and back on again. Also the one touch autofocus on the GH5 and GH5S is fine. The complaint for the GH5 is for continuous autofocus that the BMPCC4K does not have at all and it is actual not bad. Just not good as a vlogging camera to hold on to the persons face while they swing it around !!!
    I thought I would love the "focus points" feature on the GH5, but the number of times I've used it in a real world scenario: 0.

I wouldn't complain if the P4K gained that feature - it's nice to have theoretically - but cine lenses with a follow-focus are less fiddly.

Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast