Page 32 of 122 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    The BM 5-inch screen was originally from the Ursa Mini, which was articulating. Once you use a npgood quality 5-inch Monitor, there is no going back to smaller screens.
    Cheers
    Exactly.
    This is why most of the time my favorite camera for all around ease of shooting is my original Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k... and I have more than a few different styles of bodies.
    Man.. especially with that tap-to-zoom focus function always right there.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

2. Collapse Details
    One final thought before the thread dies.

I'm not looking at the new BMPCC 4K from the perspective of a GH5 user looking to switch. Rather, I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of a current Pocket user looking to upgrade to 4K. The 5S was the front-runner, but with compromise. (It's really hard to go back to H.264 once you're used to RAW/ProRes. And the price for two is...painful.)

The P4K improves on every single aspect of the original Pocket. It is the perfect, no-compromise upgrade for my needs at a very reasonable price point. That's why I say "Game over, Panasonic." For current Pocket users, no other company offers anything in the same feature/quality/price neighborhood.
    Last edited by Jim Simon; 05-01-2018 at 08:08 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    The P4K improves on every single aspect of the original Pocket. It is the perfect, no-compromise upgrade for my needs at a very reasonable price point. That's why I say "Game over, Panasonic"
    Only if your expectations are for an improved BMPCC camera. It will still be missing a ton of GH5/GH5s features that may or may not be important to you. The issue that I am the most curious about is how the P4K low-light performance compares with the GH5s, as I am expecting to see a big difference here.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Only if your expectations are for an improved BMPCC camera.
    As a user (and lover) of the current Pocket, that is all I expect.
    Last edited by Jim Simon; 05-02-2018 at 07:52 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    how the P4K low-light performance compares with the GH5s, as I am expecting to see a big difference here.
    It does look to be the same sensor. With superior codecs and processing, I'm expecting (hoping for?) a superior image from the Pocket.

Time will tell.

6. Collapse Details
    Cool
    It does look to be the same sensor. With superior codecs and processing, I'm expecting (hoping for?) a superior image from the Pocket.
    It won't have anything like the GH5s temporal noise-reduction, so I'm expecting to see the BMPCC 4K lag the GH5s by 1-2 stops in low-light performance.

7. Collapse Details

Time will tell.
    The end.

No, no, no more stories. Time to close the book and go to sleep.

Here, let me tuck you in. Sweet dreams.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details

Time will tell.
    How can it be the same sensor when the GH5S is 4x3 ratio and the BMD is 16x9 ratio? Plus the dual native is 400/2500 or 800/5000 (log) for the GH5S and 400/3200 for the Pocket. Very different ranges for the dual native ISO. If shooting log ProRes on the BMD why is it not all using 800/5000?

I'm not 100% convinced it is the same sensor. Might be similar but there are physical differences unless BMD sawed off part of the OEM sensor to make it 16x9. If they are just ignoring the rest of it why not allow the stills to use the full 4x3 area?

Besides if it actually is the same sensor then raw from the BMD would basically look like the raw stills from the GH5S. raw is raw after all.

9. Collapse Details
    The GH5S sensor sits outside the lens image circle. The GH5 4:3 still is a crop of the sensor to fit the image circle. The GH5S 16x9 and 17x9 all fit exactly in the image circle. The diagonal is the same for all of them being the diameter of the image circle. This is what has caused all the confusion for the GH5S in that Panasonic have not expressly stated these dimensions and only quote the 4:3 image data which of course is a standard MFT size. What we need to know is if BM have positioned the sensor in the same way. Very likely I think. So the differences will be down to electronics in support of the sensor. That is if they are the same sensor.

10. Collapse Details
    This a good description by Gordon Laing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaglh-nUmA starts at about 2:40 into the video.

Page 32 of 122 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast