Page 23 of 122 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    - GH5 doesn't have OLPF
    - File sizes = more expensive recording options so that's 2 items; but a big sell of the GH line is the addition of 400mbps ALL-I. Recording to ProRes is similar size requirement. And largely seen as a plus. Except it doesn't require expensive v90 SD cards
    - Stills / Flash - don't use, don't care - GH5 can add a flash but doesn't have one on body anyway
    - Anamorphic - as another user requested, you should need a license to shoot this... I think few people will care
    - Baked in - as others said, add a LUT in camera and easy to adjustment layer add or copy/paste add in post

(not criticizing your list - just thinking out loud!)

Is there anything else workflow wise on the camera? I've been reading through all the specs and features and looking at buttons etc. and it really doesn't seem like too much, but it's always in the details. One thing I like on the GHx line is how I can quickly rotate the top dial to go to presets IE a VFR HD preset, a 4K ALL-I preset, an indoor high ISO cine-D profile preset, etc.

What else?
    Correct the GH5 doesn't have an OLPF but the GH5S does which is the more logical camera to compare the Pocket to. The GH5 also has an over sampled sensor that uses a high quality form of down conversion to help compensate for the lack of the OLPF. The form of bicubic scaling helps average out the pixels to eliminate some high frequencies. Panasonic went this direction so the stills could be super detailed while still providing a very clean 4k video. My only point about the OLPF is it suddenly increases the cost of the Pocket from $1,300 to $1,800 and its a PITA to buy it and add it yourself. Still much cheaper than the GH5S but getting closer. We are also not sure how long we will have to wait for somebody to make an OLPF for the Pocket. I would assume not very long since the 4k Pocket is going to be hot. (successful not stolen).

I don't think the formats on the Pocket are a problem at all. I need to make that clear. I have used ProRes myself for many years and will likely continue to do so. I love the fact that the Pocket uses ProRes and raw. My only perspective is for those users that are concerned about file sizes. Not a lot of people use the 400mbps on the GH5 and Gh5s for this very reason. Same goes for the EVA1 even though it just got it a lot of people are finding it to not really provide any better quality. Even the VFX supervisor Stephen Fleet found this to be true for VFX work. Shooting a green screen never has a ton of detail or intense random motion so it makes sense that the 150mbps would be just as good as the 400mbps. Shooting dirt bikes kicking mud might be an entirely different story but I have yet to see anybody actually compare the 150mbps and 400mbps for that type of shot. If I see one more Youtube video comparing formats with a still life scene and a locked down camera I'm going to scream. ProRes is not similar to 400mbps. It is more like 800mbps for HQ which I would highly suggest using if one is using ProRes. ProRes is not a very efficient codec and LT and regular ProRes start to show DCT based macro blocking in high detail areas like grass. HQ exists for a reason. Sure thats only double but again I think you will find a ton more people prefer to use 150mbps on the GH5(s) vs the 400mbps. That is a 5x difference. Not a big deal to you, Joe or myself but it is a realistic valid concern for some people.

I agree that the formats are the huge benefit to the Pocket but not everybody is going to see it that way. Especially if the 150mbps and 400mbps from the GH5(s) do in fact deliver the same overall quality as ProRes. I was also excited about the Pocket until I told my colleagues I wanted to get one and they were the ones that told me I was nuts due to the file sizes needed. I'm just passing on the concerns many have shared with me.

I do shoot stills a lot so I personally have to decide if I want to get the Pocket and keep the GH4 for stills of just go to the GH5s which I' also kind of concerned about when it comes to stills. John Brawly just mention 4x3 sensor which is the first I have ever heard of it. The specs for the sensor indicate 16x9 but of course that could be wrong. The sensor could also have been 4x3 but they are only using a 16x9 center of it. Guess we will have to wait and see but honestly the stills on the Pocket are kind of an after thought and really only though because it was easy to add the ability to just shoot a single cDNG frame .
    Adding luts is awesome and I'm glad they did that. Thats a big advantage over the GH5 that only previews luts.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    According to B&H's 'Best Sellers' list (if this means most units sold), the 4K Pocket already outsold both - the GH5 and GH5S - which I honestly find hard to believe, but not sure what else it would mean. Maybe most cameras sold in a certain time frame or most cameras recently sold, IDK. (And preorders in this case would mean sales.)

I can easily see hundreds of thousands of preorders by September.
    Kind of hard to do since nobody paid for it yet.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    Kind of hard to do since nobody paid for it yet.
    (And preorders in this case would mean sales.)
    It's obvious the camera will sell more simply because of the price regardless of what you and I and anyone thinks about it...I'm just trying to be nice about it.

4. Collapse Details
    According to B&H's 'Best Sellers' list (if this means most units sold), the 4K Pocket already outsold both - the GH5 and GH5S - which I honestly find hard to believe, but not sure what else it would mean. Maybe most cameras sold in a certain time frame or most cameras recently sold, IDK. (And preorders in this case would mean sales.)

I can easily see hundreds of thousands of preorders by September.
    Almost all of the GH4 owners I know 'like' the GH5 but it's not enough of a difference for them to justify buying a whole new camera. And the GH4 sold a TON.

Yeah, the 4K Pocket is gonna sell zillions.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Almost all of the GH4 owners I know 'like' the GH5 but it's not enough of a difference for them to justify buying a whole new camera. And the GH4 sold a TON.

Yeah, the 4K Pocket is gonna sell zillions.
    Did you get the cables I sent you?

(I thought it was a good time to ask, lol.)

6. Collapse Details
    I wonder if Blackmagic is going to put the new ProRes RAW format in this camera at some point. Seems like a no-brainer and it should be able to handle the bit rates.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    John Brawly just mention 4x3 sensor which is the first I have ever heard of it. The specs for the sensor indicate 16x9 but of course that could be wrong. The sensor could also have been 4x3 but they are only using a 16x9 center of it. Guess we will have to wait and see but honestly the stills on the Pocket are kind of an after thought and really only though because it was easy to add the ability to just shoot a single cDNG frame .
    Adding luts is awesome and I'm glad they did that. Thats a big advantage over the GH5 that only previews luts.
    Actually be careful.

I said they have a 4/3 (as in m4/3) sensor, not that they have added 4x3 as a shooting ratio. But itís a detail they have mentioned, even though as you say you have to crop the sensor to get 1.78 from it and thatís all thatís been talked about so far.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...etcinemacamera

ďThe Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K has a 4/3 size sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range and dual native ISO up to 25,600. Ē

JB
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I wonder if Blackmagic is going to put the new ProRes RAW format in this camera at some point. Seems like a no-brainer and it should be able to handle the bit rates.
    Someone on BMCuser said BM doesn't sound like they want to in random NAB interviews.

Someone once said (JB - if you're reading this - was it you?) that Blackmagic never wanted to include ProRes in their cameras. They wanted RAW-only shooting cameras and had to be convinced to include a "normal" format for people.

Would it compete with CinemaDNG? Not sure...don't think so but you never know what's brewing with this format over at Apple.

When RED - whose current REDCODE dominates the RAW world in FCP X - found out about PR RAW months earlier, they said..."Hey, want to sell one of our cameras in your store?" (Lol, j/k about the quote...but REDCODE does dominate in FCP X as far as RAW is concerned, and they do sell the RAVEN in the Apple store.)
    Last edited by NorBro; 04-15-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Typo

9. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Almost all of the GH4 owners I know 'like' the GH5 but it's not enough of a difference for them to justify buying a whole new camera.
    I stopped using my GH4 as soon as I saw footage from my GH5. For me the difference between these two cameras was huge, especially when it came to overall image quality and color. I really noticed how much better 10-bit footage was when color correcting skin tones shot under crappy fluorescent lighting.

When you add on IBIS, dual UHS-II card slots, 400 Mbps ALL-I, 5.2K Anamorphic, and a proper XLR audio block, the GH5 was a massive improvement over the GH4.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Did you get the cables I sent you?

(I thought it was a good time to ask, lol.)
    Ha! Yeah man, they showed up. Perfect condition as always. Thanks Bro.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Page 23 of 122 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast