Page 19 of 122 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Depending on the quality and brightness of the image.
    True, though for indoors or night at least it should be very handy.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Well, a living dog is better than a dead lion.

The new pocket camera is about half a year away, if BM delivers on time.
    But half a year from now there may be some other new product on the horizon that beats that one.
    Indeed, but I have a whole armful of other dogs and lions, so the six months is an acceptable wait time.

And I highly doubt some other maker has anything on the horizon that will touch it for the money because not only have the big makers already just released their newest and best - that doesn't compete - or just like for the past 6-years nothing they put out will still offer an equal quality image at anywhere near the price.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Depending on the quality and brightness of the image.
    At NAB it was stated that it's the 5-inch touch screen that is used on the URSA Mini and the 5-inch Video Assist products. So it's definitely a good monitor. Is it bright enough for broad daylight bright sun? Probably not, but neither is the screen on ANY camera.
    $1,295.... I'm laughing. I have a sinking feeling that ALL my non-Blackmagic cameras will be hitting eBay after these arrive.
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I have a sinking feeling that ALL my non-Blackmagic cameras will be hitting eBay after these arrive.
    As long as the Gh2's keep working, you might as well keep them, they are next to worthless on the used market. The gh4 still has some value, though that drops every new generation.

I still have hope for this 4k pocket, but I'm not going to trip over myself to get one until I can see what they messed up. Maybe they got this one right, or maybe it still has some shortcuts that reduce price and bring it down to a point where it has objectionable image issues.

I haven't read every post, but do we know what the data rate for raw recording really is? Is it uncompressed or numerically correct compression?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Indeed, but I have a whole armful of other dogs and lions, so the six months is an acceptable wait time.

And I highly doubt some other maker has anything on the horizon that will touch it for the money because not only have the big makers already just released their newest and best - that doesn't compete - or just like for the past 6-years nothing they put out will still offer an equal quality image at anywhere near the price.
    Well the Z Cam E2 on a good sales day might become a real competitor.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 04-14-2018 at 08:14 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    As long as the Gh2's keep working, you might as well keep them, they are next to worthless on the used market. The gh4 still has some value, though that drops every new generation.

I haven't read every post, but do we know what the data rate for raw recording really is? Is it uncompressed or numerically correct compression?
    Yeah, the GH2's with the MOON T7 hack on them are actually pretty nice for 1080p.

The 4k Pocket records RAW in Uncompressed, 3:1 compressed RAW, and 4:1 compressed RAW just like the URSA Mini Pro does.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpowell View Post
    even 400Mbps is not enough bitrate to avoid artifacts in highly-detailed motion at 10-bit 4K
    Do you have an example? I remember reading a while back that 100 Mbps MPEG-4 was visually lossless for 10-bit 4:2:2 HD. It was in a brochure like 10 years ago for one of Panasonic's pro, shoulder cameras.

Since 4K is 4 times the pixels, I would guess that 400 Mbps 4K would likewise be visually lossless.

Actually your statement doesn't make sense: "highly detailed motion"? If it's all I-frame, motion has nothing to do with it, since each frame gets compressed independently.

8. Collapse Details
    The video assist screens are really nice, so that is encouraging to hear. There is really nothing to complain about with this camera. Really cheap and tons of great features.

9. Collapse Details
    I’ve used a 5” Video Assist extensively, & the screen is meh.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Compared to?

Page 19 of 122 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast