Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post

Not sure if that answers your question...

---
    Good answers! RAW spelled backwards is ...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    It shouldn't be, not if it's raw. But is it? It's log encoded raw data, the dataset itself being described by metadata. All that needs to happen is a de-log transformation. Should be lossless. And if it were, then why the need for the other profiles?

I'm not stating anything, I'm asking the question, why are the other profiles needed? Why would they not just de-log into the rec709 or other profile? Is the profile even set in-camera or is this purely on the resolve end?
    Tom, the other modes/profiles are metadata set in-camera when recording RAW. They are there for in camera preview and to speed/ease post work. DaVinci Resolve reads them and automatically applies them in the RAW panel without the need for a LUT node.

If you record ProRes, then they are baked-in.

3. Collapse Details
    The whole concept of BRAW is to allow non-destructive editing across various tools that can read BRAW metadata (using the toolkit) as described in the sidecar files.

This brings non-destructive video editing to the same level as non-destructive image editing.
    Effectively Blackmagic has brought the non-destructive image editing as for instance shown in Adobe Lightroom for images to the video world.

4. Collapse Details
    CinemaDNGs were already that several years ago...they are basically photos/frames and I actually edited them in Lightroom! ha

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    CinemaDNGs were already that several years ago...they are basically photos/frames and I actually edited them in Lightroom! ha
    Right, but CinemaDNG is not available in a video file, it's a collection of separate files with single images.

6. Collapse Details
    Oh, I see what you're seeing...I wonder which other NLEs will provide support.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Tom, the other modes/profiles are metadata set in-camera when recording RAW. They are there for in camera preview and to speed/ease post work. DaVinci Resolve reads them and automatically applies them in the RAW panel without the need for a LUT node.

If you record ProRes, then they are baked-in.
    Nice! Thanks Joe!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    The whole concept of BRAW is to allow non-destructive editing across various tools that can read BRAW metadata (using the toolkit) as described in the sidecar files.

This brings non-destructive video editing to the same level as non-destructive image editing.
    Effectively Blackmagic has brought the non-destructive image editing as for instance shown in Adobe Lightroom for images to the video world.
    Let's try for "less processed, less destructive video editing."

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Let's try for "less processed, less destructive video editing."
    Agreed. I wouldn’t exactly call 12:1 compression non destructive. If it were there would be absolutely no point to 8:1, 5:1, 3:1 or 1:1 raw. There is no such thing as 12:1 lossless compression.

Also not 100% sure I would classify a baked in profile as destructive. Maybe destructive to the raw data but if somebody handed me uncompressed 10bit video that’s pretty darn non destructive as well. All depends on ones perspective and if they shoot video to have video or if they shoot video to massage the crap out of it and treat it like photography in motion.

Some of you should really take some of the BRAW clips and convert them to ProRes422 HQ to see just how little is actually lost. BRAW performance is impressive but it’s also not amazing to traditional video formats. BRAW samples play horribly on my 2012 iMac while 4k ProRes422 HQ edits insanely easily and plays back perfectly on the same machine. Yes it’s a pretty old machine but the point is the performance still greatly suffers compared to an almost visually equal format. ProRes raw also performs much better on this same machine so I think there is still a key advantage to ProRes raw. When one truly wants to treat raw as an alternative to other video formats one can multicam edit 9 streams of ProRes raw on a 2018 MBP. BRAW likely can’t do that although I have not heard of anybody actually testing it.

I think we now know why BMD created their own eGPU.

10. Collapse Details
    Here's something for everyone's consideration:

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22...833#post253833

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475