Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Doug.. Pleeeeease tell us the grip on the Z280 rotates like the EX-1 did.

Any info on the max data rate in 4k/24?, I assume it's probably the same as the Z100 about 225mbs
    http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
    Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Doug I offer two services - solo shooting and "cinamatography" with my assistant.

I own and use the ex1 - solo shoot wise I'm interested in something that feels like an upgrade from the ex1

The ex1 has a FIZ lens - something I'm extremely reluctant to lose. Making me scared of z90 and that class.

The ex1 has some goodness beyond its numbers - I think that is three chips.

But I've always found the zoom not wide enough.

A 24mmFOV 120fps 10 bit ex1 with a bit more gain could absolutely be for me? Even HD
    A couple of things. You probably have seen the first one...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ide_Angle.html

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and watch the behind the scenes. You will see the geared zoom and iris ring, just like the EX series cams.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/hand...block-pxw-z280

The z280 is feature for feature an intended replacement for the EX cameras, as it has the 3 CMOS 1/2" chips. It also has digital zoom which looks pretty darn good. I have it on an a7S and it works well. These cams have much smaller imagers than the a7 series cameras but in the promo video the digital zoom looks decent. The colour in these cameras too can match the EX and F3. There is some footage that shows the same colour palette/science.

3. Collapse Details
    More info here here. Also a couple of videos. With sensitivity up to F13 in 50p and a SNR of 63dB the specs are pretty impressive. Being three a chipper no Debayer necessary so resolution should be pretty good. The good old evergreen XDCam MPEG-2 422 50-mbit broadcast friendly codec comes standard which is a plus.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/hand...rders/pxw-z280

These internals in an upgraded PMW-300, ie PXW-Z300 with interchangeable lens would I think sell fairly well.

Chris Young

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
    A couple of things. You probably have seen the first one...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ide_Angle.html

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and watch the behind the scenes. You will see the geared zoom and iris ring, just like the EX series cams.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/hand...block-pxw-z280

The z280 is feature for feature an intended replacement for the EX cameras, as it has the 3 CMOS 1/2" chips. It also has digital zoom which looks pretty darn good. I have it on an a7S and it works well. These cams have much smaller imagers than the a7 series cameras but in the promo video the digital zoom looks decent. The colour in these cameras too can match the EX and F3. There is some footage that shows the same colour palette/science.
    The WIAdapter.. not zoom through and also very fragile.. ruins the shut the lens away matte box.

As for the FIZ lens.. yes I know these cams have FIZ lenses.. it is the PXW-z90 that has a pure plastic lens that scares me and make these new cameras attractive in comparison.

--

Overall I would really like 75degree view (24FF equiv) - it seems to me that a zoom going from 30-550 is a bit nuts .. the long end is more than needed especially in the era of digital zoom.

Shooting inside cars, elevators or a press scrum (surely the home of these cameras?) requires a wide end on the zoom to my head

The EX1 is a super tool, has served me well, gained my trust.. but has never been on my A-list because of the lack of wide. It is never a joy to shoot with. It is a tool you accept, appreciate the modularity of it, speed of setup.. but never a joy.

It would be so refreshing to have a camera one could really fall for and enjoy.

I guess an 'EX3' with modern codec could be such a camera, I dont know what wide zooms were available in 1/2 format.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes a PXW-Z300 with interchangeable lens with the 280 spec would be a pretty decent seller I think. On the EX3 I used to use the Fujinon HD 3.3 x 13 which was a great lens on that camera. Equivalent to a 4.5 x 13 2/3" lens on 2/3" camera. In fact just sold as it's been sitting on the shelf so long.

3.3-11.jpg

Chris Young

6. Collapse Details
    Yep - that seems like the perfect lens for this form of camera?

That could possibly be fun to use.

7. Collapse Details
    Z280 ticks all the boxes for me except HFR; a great replacement for my EX1r. Why no 120 HD HFR? Seems odd to leave it out when lessor cameras have it.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotojorno View Post
    Doug.. Pleeeeease tell us the grip on the Z280 rotates like the EX-1 did.

Any info on the max data rate in 4k/24?, I assume it's probably the same as the Z100 about 225mbs

I'm not Doug, but based on the pics, the grip does not rotate.

With its excellent 4K internal codec, I wonder if the Z280 will pass muster with Netflix as an approved production camera? Maybe for documentaries or as a B-cam.

Also, I still have some leftover SxS cards from my PMW-300 days. Will 4K recording require a newer SxS card?
    Last edited by vanvideo; 04-09-2018 at 06:00 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    At last something to replace the PXW-Z100. I have a FDRAX1( that's broken !!! ) and have been waiting for a replacement. Sort of gave up and bought a GH5 and GH5S. Still have a NX5U and the PXW-Z190 may be a good replacement. Though for me an upgraded NX with the main PXW-Z190 features would be ideal. Stay with L series batteries etc. Do not need broadcast features. A NX5R with the guts of the PXW-Z190 is about it !!! Maybe in the future !!!

10. Collapse Details
    Sony Specs for the camera are located here: https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/hand...rders/pxw-z280

including xdcard run times which use the 128gb cards.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast