Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    Problem is it has no SDI so can’t record the FS raw output... other than that it would have been perfect
    Exactly! I was watching the YouTube video a hour or
    so ago thinking ‘Perfect!’ until they got to the
    HDMI only part. So close yet so far......��

2. Collapse Details
    Actually thinking of selling my FS700 + 7Q and getting the A7III + Ninja V until the FS-line has caught up in regards to ibis and AF...
    Last edited by dmitrizigany; 04-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 50/1.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

3. Collapse Details
    Off topic but the ninja v is a bang for the GH5.

4. Collapse Details
    And the Ninja V is perfect for - wait for it - the Sony RX0, which outputs 4K in 10bit (really) 422.

In fact the GH5 (to get 10bit 422 4K 60P) and the RX0 are the only cameras I see that get a significant benefit, given that almost all other cameras output in 8bit (422) via HDMI. No great benefits from just improving on 420 and getting higher bitrates.

5. Collapse Details
    Is there a single hardware change to the FS5II?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    I saw an interview that said no. This really confused me. The whole point was to update colour science to match Venice. What other camera in the Sony range has colour match to Venice? (serious question, Im ignorant on that). My thought though was couldn't this have been a firmware update to existing cameras? Only going on the one Sony rep interview I saw.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, was thinking the same. Seems like all the changes could have been done via a firmware upgrade to the original FS5...

However in this video (at around 1:50) they ask if it will be hard to match with the old version, and he says that if you want really close match you should have two (of the same I guess).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkMmLjX8Za8

So they must have tweaked the way the sensor speaks with the rest of the camera in a deeper way than is possible via firmware upgrade? Then the question is: will this also effect the raw output?

He also says that they have done this new version based on user feedback. So... who the hell requested a black ND knob instead of better internal codecs? If you hadn't done that, maybe it would have got that intead! ;)
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 50/1.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Sony is officially saying "no" on record but personally I find it odd that they would release a mkii that in all practicality is just a software update. It's actually quite baffling and doesn't make any sense.

The mkii also has some additional picture profiles, for example it will feature some "dslr" type instant looks with higher contrast, punchier images ,etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    I saw an interview that said no. This really confused me. The whole point was to update colour science to match Venice. What other camera in the Sony range has colour match to Venice? (serious question, Im ignorant on that). My thought though was couldn't this have been a firmware update to existing cameras? Only going on the one Sony rep interview I saw.
    If definitely appears to be nothing more than a firmware update updating the set of picture profiles. Odd to have released it as an mkii camera - perhaps they made so many FS5's to get cost down that they will simply relabel the body, change the ND knob color, load new firmware all in effort to sell cameras. Only logical conclusion to be honest.

Once sony saturates FS5 sales I think Sony might release a "venice like" 3D LUT to apply to sgamut3.cine / slog3 footage to get "venice like" color etc.. I say this because many of the clips shot in the Lucent promo were shot in RAW which means it had to be recorded in log and graded after. Surely Sony would use the same "look" developed for them for Venice and now FS5 mkii on the footage where they could not otherwise "bake in" the look using internal codec and the new color picture profile. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    Yes, was thinking the same. Seems like all the changes could have been done via a firmware upgrade to the original FS5...

However in this video (at around 1:50) they ask if it will be hard to match with the old version, and he says that if you want really close match you should have two (of the same I guess).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkMmLjX8Za8

So they must have tweaked the way the sensor speaks with the rest of the camera in a deeper way than is possible via firmware upgrade? Then the question is: will this also effect the raw output
    I also obsessively analyzed Claus's wording in this interview and thought the same thing, but after realized Clause flipped the question around and instead of answering if mkii can be matched to the original fs5, @ 2:05 he flips the scenario around and says "you can manually adjust your picture profiles in the original fs5" so he kind of botched the question.
    Dennis Hingsberg

9. Collapse Details
    THis is a very perplexing move by Sony. They are facing some pretty stiff competition from the EVA1 and C200 and all they do is update the color science and throw in two licenses for free, which is like getting a sales rebate? So, that's it for the FS5 for the next few years?

Adding internal 422 and a stronger mount to the FS5 would not have necessarily undercut the FS7II, which needs an update anyways. Who's still selling $10,000 cameras in 2018 that need a $2000 dongle to record RAW and Prores ?

10. Collapse Details
    Next generation Sony camera's FSXXX will be full frame, Venice color science, etc.. starts all over again. 8-bit, 10-bit, 12-bit RAW etc..

Thing i've been trying to stress in the past, and even now with the announcement of mkii is that if the image coming out of the camera is 95% there it doesn't need to be 10-bit, 16-bit RAW, etc.. Imagine if you were to record 8-bit log or even rec709 from an ARRI camera or the F35 and then grade it. I have done this plenty. It only needs small contrast & saturation change whereas for current Sony color you're talking several days in surgery.

So I would easily take this gimmick Sony is pulling of a better image with highlight rendition, skin tone emphasis in 8-bit then shooting in 16-bit RAW and worrying about how I'm going to get there.

I'm actually excited about it.
    Dennis Hingsberg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast