Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    There was a wealth of knowledge they chose not to preserve.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Time will tell. However the level of thought and user-focussed design that's gone into Venice, honestly suggests a shift in approach by Sony (to my eyes at least).

I get the impression they're finally catching on to the very needy, and very specific requirements of their pro users.
    I was also getting that impression when the Venice came out. The camera seems to get most things right. The footage in the short film looked the best out of any Sony camera not called F35. It looked great. But these recent events seem to indicate old Sony is still the same. As you say, time will tell.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    For the same reason, that a Panasonic rep (i.e. Mitch ) might post in a Canon thread here. Perhaps educate, inform or simply offer a differ point of view.
    But that's VERY different. DVXuser is not a company forum. For Sony to post on Reduser would look unprofessional, out of place and quite frankly desperate. I think even when reps posts on threads concerning competitors products here is somewhat strange. But Reduser is a company forum. It's a no no for Sony or any other competitor to post there.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    1.) A never ending feature request. The more Sony gave, the more people demanded. They were never satisfied and sometimes whined openly, "Why can't Sony give me free features to make my F5 like the F55?"
    You know, if that's the reason I don't blame them. The whining bothered even me and I don't have to deal with it. People buying a camera where they know what it can do. But then deciding it's not enough and Sony should give them more. It was more annoying than people calling S35 a crop format here. The truth though is Sony does that because they can! Apart from the very high end that competes with the Alexa, Sony is still killing it for the most part. Nobody will stop buying their products and they know it. People will whine and complain but will still give their money to Sony. If people would just drop Sony till they would change their attitude, Sony wouldn't act that way. But that will never happen and Sony knows it. Beggars can't be choosers. Besides the owner op market is not even as big as the broadcast market.

5. Collapse Details
    I think thats true.. right now they are on the crest of the wave.. the fs7 dominates totally.. their A series dominate in the market.. and the Venice could well be a winner.. as icing on the cake.. they would be leading in all divisions ... I doubt there is any malice or contriving going on.. just totally useless middle management .. no big surprise .. there are some Sony FB sites.. its the same thing ..users asking /answering questions.. there was never much input from Sony anyway.. and towards the end none at all.. its gone.. they dont care.. sad but true..

6. Collapse Details
    After much upheaval, Sony is now a mishmash of different wholly-owned subsidiaries. Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc. is who we're now dealing with. Sony's newest internal marketing mission as described in their annual report:

"Sony’s mission is to be a company that provides customers with Kando, which means to move people emotionally, and to inspire and fulfill their curiosity. To realize this mission, Sony plans to continue to conduct R&D based on the spirit of innovation and challenge detailed in its Founding Prospectus, and create new customer value at the “last one inch,” or the very closest point of contact with its customers..."

I would argue that the latter part of that Sony initiative appears to be a work in progress, at least in our division.

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    http://www.ohfilmworks.com
    IMDb

7. Collapse Details
    there was never much input from Sony anyway..
    There was some however, friendly and personal. They apprised us of upcoming features and updates. Some of it wasn't always 100% correct. Support for the FZ mount lenses for example. Was there *ever* more than one lens made for this mount? It's amazing to think, a mount so strong you could use it to attach a PL mount, and have it support a T2.9 300mm Red Pro Prime without a lens support.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sttratos View Post
    You know, if that's the reason I don't blame them. The whining bothered even me and I don't have to deal with it. People buying a camera where they know what it can do. But then deciding it's not enough and Sony should give them more. It was more annoying than people calling S35 a crop format here.
    That level of whining is why I rarely visit Blackmagic’s official forums...or the bmcuser ones. It’s also partly why I bought an FS7II. There’s less whining and more creative discussion between professionals (and less typical consumerism) when you spend above a certain dollar amount investing in a camera system. That’s not to say Alexa and Red owners can’t act like little children, but at lesst those crowds know that “crop factor” is just Canon 5D marketing hype.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

9. Collapse Details
    Now that they can't hang out on the Sony forum, where will those self-aggrandising know-it-all-shoot-nothing types go to impart their 'faux wisdom'?
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

10. Collapse Details
    Hey that's me you're talking' about!
    I think they come over here to be honest though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast