Thread: 4k bmpcc

Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    That's not the heat sink behind the sensor. The sensor is at least 20mm inside the lens mount and the fins are closer to the mount...

2. Collapse Details
    Ahh yes, of course. Thanks.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    I think right there describes part of the cost difference between the two cameras. It isn't cheap to make a compact camera shoot 4k video and dissipate heat well with a massive amount of processing power to handle a h.264 encoding and noise reduction in camera. BMD uses a lot of engineering shortcuts to make the camera a reality and doesn't have the engineering infrastructure to make things super tiny and efficient.
    Can you elaborate ? In a really precise engineering based way ?

JB
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    being a retired mechanical designer myself....I'm of the persuasion that form follows function. And when form can also incorporate aesthetics, then it wins design awards...for good reason. I think the camera is beautiful. This camera had real designers laboring over it. They did an incredible job, if it lives up to it's specs. We've all been asking for innovation. The gh5 is a nice camera, incrementally designed using repeated lessons, and successes based on it's formulaic system. The gh5 designers simply began by copying the gh4 design. The blackmagic team however were thinking outside the box.... lucky for camera lovers around the globe. So as for innovative thinking , the bmpcc4k wins in a blink. The main problem with this camera will be ...getting one !

5. Collapse Details
    I think the design could have been better. Movable LCD screen and / or a viewfinder would have been great. The GH5 has both.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    It isn't cheap to make a compact camera shoot 4k video and dissipate heat well with a massive amount of processing power to handle a h.264 encoding and noise reduction in camera.
    This is going to be embarrassing for either you or me, but here it goes.

"You mean, like my phone?"

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kurth View Post
    being a retired mechanical designer myself....I'm of the persuasion that form follows function. And when form can also incorporate aesthetics, then it wins design awards...for good reason.
    We interrupt this nerdlery for art. "Art is an idea that has found its perfect form." --- Paul Rand

Have you read this???
    Taste for Makers, by Paul Graham

We now continue with your regularly scheduled program...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kurth View Post
    being a retired mechanical designer myself....I'm of the persuasion that form follows function. And when form can also incorporate aesthetics, then it wins design awards...for good reason. I think the camera is beautiful. This camera had real designers laboring over it. They did an incredible job, if it lives up to it's specs. We've all been asking for innovation. The gh5 is a nice camera, incrementally designed using repeated lessons, and successes based on it's formulaic system. The gh5 designers simply began by copying the gh4 design. The blackmagic team however were thinking outside the box.... lucky for camera lovers around the globe. So as for innovative thinking , the bmpcc4k wins in a blink. The main problem with this camera will be ...getting one !
    Being a "mechanical designer" how can you not look at this dogs breakfast and laugh.

I would ask simple design questions/specs

Can one hold and focus in a stable manner (no)

Can one monitor in the sun or off angle (no)

Do any accessory leads foul the hands or a gimbal or get broken when you put it on a bag? (All of them)

Can one get correct exposure in daylight (no)

The form runs entirely contrary to the function.

2 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    This is going to be embarrassing for either you or me, but here it goes.

"You mean, like my phone?"
    I'm actually really curious about this, too. The big thing I always hear is "but the sensor size is smaller in a phone". My understanding here is limited, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it not about the sensor size, but rather the # of pixels being processed - which should be about equivalent (actually, less as I understand since the iPhone cameras have more pixels than the BMD cam?).

Theories are economies of scale and resources to harness power of latest ARM chips in the most efficient manner possible, regarding the entire chip and processing design... but i'm reaching past my knowledge here...

I would love a great explanation of why iPhone X can process 240fps 4K video without a hitch, among everything else is doing, on that sexy display, on a smaller battery, in a tiny form factor... and sensor size just doesn't make sense to me.

Someone.. help us understand!

10. Collapse Details
    The sensor generates heat, and that's a bigger issue with a bigger sensor. The processor also generates heat, and that's less of an issue when you use an off-the-shelf processor that does only a few things but does them very well. There are lots of processors able to put 4k video into highly compressed H.264 or even H.265 8-bit 4:2:0 files, and they're all designed for phones so they don't generate a lot of heat. If you want a pro codec, then there is no off-the-shelf processor for you, and either you make your own ASIC (extremely expensive unless you sell a zillion cameras) or use an FPGA (which is less powerful and generates more heat).

Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast