Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    v90 SD cards support 90mb/s minimum write speed. That's about 700mbps. I believe ProRes RAW is 480?

So technically, if GH5s and EVA1 supported ProRes RAW in the camera firmware, the v90 SD cards should be able to handle the data rates without much issue. Of course, the v90 sd cards end up being more expensive than SSDs - and smaller max capacity to boot - so it's not a cheap prospect. At least not as of today.

But as v90 sd card prices come down and capacities go up, my understanding is that it should be feasible for GH5s and/or EVA1 to unlock an internal RAW recording option either via ProRes RAW or a new propriety RAW codec developed by Panasonic. What if they came up with a 600mbps RAW codec?

Crazy days. In 2-3 years time we could very well be seeing a GH6/EVA1s with internal RAW direct to v90 SD cards.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    But as v90 sd card prices come down and capacities go up, my understanding is that it should be feasible for GH5s and/or EVA1 to unlock an internal RAW recording option either via ProRes RAW or a new propriety RAW codec developed by Panasonic. What if they came up with a 600mbps RAW codec?

Crazy days. In 2-3 years time we could very well be seeing a GH6/EVA1s with internal RAW direct to v90 SD cards.
    At 5.7K 24fps 10-bit raw the 600mbps rate would be a compression ratio of ~9:1. This is doable, and can be made to look acceptable, if not great. At 60fps, this would be a compression ratio of ~22:1. This won't look pretty. Also need to add to these ratios for 12-bit raw.

There might be legal complications too. I am not a lawyer, but Red's patents sound like they might have patented in-camera raw compression at compression ratios higher than 6:1.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Roz View Post
    And it would differentiate the Varicam LT from the EVA1 which is overshadowing the LT these days.
    Only because it is talked about far more. It's a more affordable unit. The LT has the V35 sensor. Its pound for pound one of the best images out there IMO.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    So technically, if GH5s and EVA1 supported ProRes RAW in the camera firmware,
    I'll leave the rest of your post for someone who has the tech to respond, but GH5 will never output raw.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    I'll leave the rest of your post for someone who has the tech to respond, but GH5 will never output raw.
    I didn't say it would, just that it should be technically feasible with the hardware it contains within those plastic walls.

6. Collapse Details
    What I'd like to know: Is the raw ouput of the EVA1 noticably better than the internal recording? Anyone tested it?
    Thanks

7. Collapse Details
    Correct Noel, The HDMI standard does not support outputting Raw data stream, which the SDI connection can do on the EVA1. So you need to have a GH5S with a SDI outout, or the HDMI standard changed, neither one likely to happen anytime soon.

ProRes Raw should wind up having less compression than the internal recording codecs.

Cheers
    Last edited by Denny16; 04-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    ProRes RAW HQ is about a 3:1 compression and ProRes RAW about 4:1. Not sure where you kids are getting your numbers but these are still very large data rates compared to All-I and especially LongGOP.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345