1. Collapse Details
    LED Lantern test
    I wanted to check out those LED lanterns that promise all sorts of things... basically I wanted to know if they could be used as a practical keylight. So I through together a small un-scientific test with out FS7.

I'm no purist... In my opinion, if the light comes from a practical like this, it would be ok for it to have some tint.
    In the end I elected to filter the lantern which got rid of the worst of that yellow cast it has where the light hits the small poles in front of the source.

Heck, it's even flicker free at 150fps, but ofcourse the output is rather low. But enough said... have a look (graded still at the very end):

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool. How times change. Years ago I shot a little horror film with a scene in the graveyard lit by a gravedigger holding a lantern. Looked great with the practical as a source, but we had to gut a real lantern and stick an omni bulb inside then run a cable through his clothes to a battery belt around his waist.
    What brand was the lantern you used.

3. Collapse Details
    Dope! Thanks for that test. Which lantern is that, legrevedotcom?

I picked up a cheap variant for $10 one night while grabbing dinner at a chinese restaurant. The owners had about 5 of them sitting next to the menus. I couldn't resist. It has 5V USB output, can be charged via a built-in solar panel (!), has a bright spot beam flashlight, and...RGB LEDs with a plastic rotating "disco ball" cup on the top for that lo-fi / low end Saturday Night Fever vibe.

It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-B...rn+solar+disco
    Last edited by OSCURO; 04-05-2018 at 04:25 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys. I think it's an almost generic chinese product. I've seen it under a variety of names. They all use the same build, but mind you the COB could be different.

It's is similar to the following: Atomic Beam, Ultrabright, LE. The name I bought it under was Hero Beam.

I don't get anything from dropping those names. Frankly I hate endorsing products, so this was merely a test for the sake of my own needs.

I've also been looking at those super bright flashlights (forget the brand... but it's pretty own I think), but they seen a bit too powerful of my needs and the price point over here is quite a bit higher. But I think it was the brand they used on I Am Legend (AC magazine).

Quick little note... I didn't write it in the video, so thought I'd be clear. The video was made in our dark studio... was able to shut out all light, so all light in that video is from those two lanterns. Biggest issue will definitely be the AA battery thing.