Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    The VO (or your fixes) smoothed out some of the stuff that stuck out before so that is good. Maybe a bit??? But the VO sounds like someone trying to do a "Hollywood trailer" VO. That is OK but they sound like a white guy and our only actor isn't a white guy and the VO doesn't sound like the actor looks but the VO is very first person so that comes off a bit strange.
    You seemed to have mostly fixed the overload issue. I still heard a few pops which is probably a transient clipping but the bass mud is cleared up, and you still have lots of bass so you did it with out loosing anything important. The speed bag especially seems to have gotten better in sound and rhythm (I've been away so I didn't listen to the 5/7 mix so some of these may be things you fixed then). The big bag sounds better also. I might still beef it up but maybe not, you have the VO to protect now so? It seems "fine" the question would be if it might be better. It's a balancing game so you might already be at the sweet spot. I didn't have anything jump out at me as missing and the music seems in better balance with the sound and not "slathered" on.

VO's are hard on a budget because it can be a real challenge getting the right performance. For me the VO sounds like he is trying to do the "classic" "Imagine a World where..." sound and he hasn't quite pulled it off. So it sounds a bit like a parody. That might not be bad but my personal preference would be the actor we see, or someone who sounds like he looks. Of course now you will tell me that it IS the actor...

The thing with the "Imagine a World..." style is it is all voiced third person, it's telling a story about others. This VO is first person telling the characters story so as an audience I really want it in his voice. Or make the VO third person.

On the other hand.

I'm assuming that this is a mock trailer you are planning to use as a demo reel of sorts. Partly because this title (and the end credits) are for a Japanese film that doesn't have this actor in it. So messing around too much with the VO maybe a bit of a waste. You are not demoing your VO skills so? But if this was a real trailer for an actual film I would take the time to tune up the VO.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    The VO (or your fixes) smoothed out some of the stuff that stuck out before so that is good. Maybe a bit??? But the VO sounds like someone trying to do a "Hollywood trailer" VO. That is OK but they sound like a white guy and our only actor isn't a white guy and the VO doesn't sound like the actor looks but the VO is very first person so that comes off a bit strange.
    You seemed to have mostly fixed the overload issue. I still heard a few pops which is probably a transient clipping but the bass mud is cleared up, and you still have lots of bass so you did it with out loosing anything important. The speed bag especially seems to have gotten better in sound and rhythm (I've been away so I didn't listen to the 5/7 mix so some of these may be things you fixed then). The big bag sounds better also. I might still beef it up but maybe not, you have the VO to protect now so? It seems "fine" the question would be if it might be better. It's a balancing game so you might already be at the sweet spot. I didn't have anything jump out at me as missing and the music seems in better balance with the sound and not "slathered" on.

VO's are hard on a budget because it can be a real challenge getting the right performance. For me the VO sounds like he is trying to do the "classic" "Imagine a World where..." sound and he hasn't quite pulled it off. So it sounds a bit like a parody. That might not be bad but my personal preference would be the actor we see, or someone who sounds like he looks. Of course now you will tell me that it IS the actor...

The thing with the "Imagine a World..." style is it is all voiced third person, it's telling a story about others. This VO is first person telling the characters story so as an audience I really want it in his voice. Or make the VO third person.

On the other hand.

I'm assuming that this is a mock trailer you are planning to use as a demo reel of sorts. Partly because this title (and the end credits) are for a Japanese film that doesn't have this actor in it. So messing around too much with the VO maybe a bit of a waste. You are not demoing your VO skills so? But if this was a real trailer for an actual film I would take the time to tune up the VO.
    Thanks, yeah I had this feedback from several people now. The reason is exactly as you guessed budget reasons. I am trying to fix something else. Hopefully it will come through.

3. Collapse Details
    The speed bag especially seems to have gotten better in sound and rhythm
    I agree. Good job. Again the sound is already better than most online videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    the VO doesn't sound like the actor
    Sadly agree with this too. The guy actually has great vocal tone. I think part of it is that it doesn't sound like the actor onscreen and partly because I don't think he believes what he's saying.

I am super picky about voice overs these days and dislike most of what I hear. I may only like three people in the world (Peter Cullen, Pat Summerall, and David McCullough [slight exaggeration]). But voice-over, I'm convinced, is every bit as much acting as acting onscreen. You have to lose yourself in the part while not losing your craft (vocal tone, the right balance of enunciation, etc.). Most of the time I get the impression that the voice-over artist is staring back at themselves, listening to themselves, rather than focusing on the words. It's very, very, very hard to do well.

That may be another thread. The sound of this video is well-layered and still better than most of the stuff out there.

4. The post by RUNBNC is hidden due to low votes. Click the arrow to the right to expand it.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNBNC View Post
    I have this job at Peet's coffee. Could you help me out and show up on Friday and do my job? I already filled out the application and banking info so they will direct deposit your paycheck into my account.
    You are kind of new here (at least all your posts are this month) and a quick scan through your posts... People ask questions here, it's a learning question answering site. If all you want to do is post snarky comments it's probably not the place for you. And the moderators are going to give you grief.

There have been people who posted silly or just idiotic posts, this is not the case here. The OP asked for critique and information and has actually listened and learned. This is just about exactly what this site is best at.

If you are going to be snarky at least do it to people who deserve it.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    So I finally released the video => https://vimeo.com/278016274
    I had to stick with the original voice over, as it was the best reading.
    Sorry I forgot to put you in the end credits Scott, cannot reupload atm as I am over my weekly limit. So I put you in the vimeo credits instead.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Seriously I don't need the credit, so don't worry about it.
    Nice job, it really filled out. I just listened to it on the computer but I didn't hear the overload issues. On the computer you feel them more than hear them so I'll take a listen on headphones but I think they may be fixed.
    I think I said this before and maybe it's there, on real speakers, but the big bag hits could be a little beefier. The speed bag hits are nice and sound right. Not a big deal because he is not necessarily wailing away on the big bag.
    As I said not a big deal but if you were an editor working for me that is a note I would give.

The VO is a bit OTT but usually you (in sound post) get handed that anyway. It is really a performance thing not a technical thing and I know what he was aiming for and he is almost there, but not quite. It's not distracting and mix wise it seems balanced into the rest of the soundscape.

Good job.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123