1. Collapse Details
    New firmware install tutorial & 2.02 version test footage
    I made a step-by-step video showing how I installed the new version 2.02 firmware on the Panasonic AU-EVA1. I also shot some quick test footage. It looks quite good in my opinion (4K 10bit 4:2:2 Intra 400Mbp) -- very clean and should be easy to push around in post. It does eat up a lot of storage, but I think it's worth it. My test footage is straight out of the camera. Here's the link if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-PY...ature=youtu.be

Also looking forward to trying out the raw.
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for this. Always nice to have visual walk-through in case Panasonic's instructions aren't clear enough ;)

A couple of questions for you: Did you observe the Intra codec to be "cleaner"/less noisy than the L-GOP? Panasonic's White Paper says it shouldn't be perceptible, but I'm curious what you experienced. Did you do a side-by-side comp?

And: Was it noticeably smoother/easier to work with in post (despite needing 2.7x the throughput of L-GOP)? Playback? (Basic) grading/effects?

Also: What SD card(s) did you use? ...a heavily inquired about topic on this board, for sure.

And least importantly (I hope): At 05:13, one of the test shots has almost jello-like distortion (though, without camera movement), almost as if shot over a source of heat that was radiating waves. I hope that was the case, or some YT compression goofiness. I don't mean to nit-pick... just curious if there was an external factor at work or if there might be some odd behavior of the codec, itself .

3. Collapse Details
    I did not do a side by side test, but the first thing I said to myself when I looked at the footage was: damn, that's a clean and detailed image. It did seem to be better than the L-GOP footage I have shot in the past, but that's not a scientific observation. It's kind of hard to do a true comparison without having 2 identical cameras shooting the same subject, one with the old firmware and 1 with the new firmware. My test was more to make sure the camera was working after upgrading the firmware.

I did not grade this footage at all. When I shoot my next video, I can see how the footage holds up in edit after applying color correction and effects. Other than that, premiere had no problem handling these clips (although they were big).

I used the Panasonic SDXC II V90 128 GB card. It had no problems recording the data, although I never recorded anything longer than a minute or two.

The clip at 5:13 looks really good playing straight off of my edit system. It must be youtube or media encoder compression?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    Did you observe the Intra codec to be "cleaner"/less noisy than the L-GOP? Panasonic's White Paper says it shouldn't be perceptible, but I'm curious what you experienced. Did you do a side-by-side comp?
    Noise is similar. Pixel peeping a 4K image at 2-300% with direct comparison between the two, I have found ALL I seems to retain a little more fine detail. I shot a wide shot across water and there's some barriers that are probably 500m from where I shot it. On the ALL I they are still clearly defined even though they are tiny in the overall image. Something else I found by chance, in LONG gop smaller details in an image, for example a bird on a high contrast background halos a little and loses some detail, in all I no halo and all detail retained. Thats all I've really noticed on the number of images I've shot.

And: Was it noticeably smoother/easier to work with in post (despite needing 2.7x the throughput of L-GOP)? Playback? (Basic) grading/effects?
    ALL I is more drive intensive whilst Long GOP is more GPU intensive. That said, most people's systems today have drives capable of reading multiple ALL i streams, whilst LONG gop is always slow on pretty much any GPU. For me, ALL I is much better to work with.

Also: What SD card(s) did you use? ...a heavily inquired about topic on this board, for sure.
    Panasonic V60 cards. 0 issues.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

5. Collapse Details
    Great info, Noel.
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!