Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekmedia View Post
    Honestly this will sound rudimentary but I own the FS5 with raw upgrade and use an Atomos Shogun Inferno all the time. I have had this exact same thing happen while running SDI to the Atomos. The screen goes black for a few seconds and then the transmission is right back. In the beginning of use I have had this happen a few times sometimes even while actively recording. I found this would happen when I was actively running around a lot shooting handheld. So I wasn't sure what was wrong so I checked the footage and I found that I had lost parts of the image and had many artifacts and other things so I cost it up to bumping / tugging on the SDI cable which accounted for the loss of transmission from the camera to the recorder during recording of those clips when the screen went black. Are you moving the SDI cable at all even slightly while filming? I later played with my cable and found that even the slightest movement or bump could result in a loss of transmission even with the female SDI mounts securely fastened to the fs5 and the recorder. Sounds simple but this would the first thing I would check as I highly doubt it is the FS5, Odyssey, or Gratical failing.
    I shoot with the FS5 with the RAW upgrade into the Shogun Inferno using in fact the Convergent Design SDI cable (the thin one). I have never, ever had any blackouts. I also used the same combo on the FS700R, with no blackouts. I shoot mainly in the field, so the camera/recorder experience plenty of movement.

2. Collapse Details
    Hey Folks,
    I got this response on the facebook FS5 page:

"Hi Sam, Mandy from Zacuto- It sounds like the proximity sensor on the Gratical Eye. Have you tried adjusting the settings? email us at sales@zacuto.com for some troubleshooting help."

I'll be giving it a try tonight, along with a new cable for the Odyssey>Gratical connection.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SamEd View Post
    I would like to hear more about the proximity sensor. The screen goes black, not blu as if there’s no signal.
    Same problem with the sensor as Jason describes ..Grat Eye.. just goes black even with my face /eye right up against it.. I disabled the function in the menu.. yes shame that sensor is rubbish really.. also dont get correct battery info with iDX batteries.. but thats another issue.. try disabling the function and see.. but your recorder should ofcourse still be recording .. its only effecting the EVF..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, Killing the proximity sensor seems to do it. Thanks everybody!

5. Collapse Details
    The Proximity Sensor on the Gratical Eye is rubbish, so I shut it off too.

6. Collapse Details
    Hey Folks,
    Just to finish up the thread.

The link in the OP to the bundle at BH is a great deal. You get a gratical eye and a decent shoulder rig for less than the regular price of the Gratical Eye alone. And besides the issue of the proximity sensor, the image is incredible. It came down last week by about $700, and I don’t expect it will last.

I also want to thank everybody for their help and gentle suggestions. You guys are great. Thanks for sharing. I know I can be a bit of a image quality zealot, so thanks!

7. Collapse Details
    One last thing, I’m starting a doc about my Family. Here’s a short segment that tells a chunk of the story... https://vimeo.com/261742945 With any luck I’ll go to New Orleans and shoot the rest in June.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Sam, you just made a great case for why someone should buy an FS7 instead of an FS5. :-) You'd have a better camera with more sophisticated features, a simpler setup for shooting, and probably would have saved money in the long run when you add it all up. I know my comments do nothing to help you now, but I'm saying it anyway for the benefit if others reading the thread. It's always worth it for and owner/operator to get an FS7 over an FS5.
    This is not a joke. I have sold my FS700+Odyssey7Q but i still have tons of stuff lying around in my shelves that i had to buy to make that frankenrig work for me. In the end, the camera and setup was so large and fragile, that it hindered my work. When the FS7 came into my home, it felt like i had discovered jesus (no joke). It really lifted a burden off my shoulders (pun intended).

But i still have tons of junk lying around reminding me of that dumb camera purchase :P

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SamEd View Post
    Hey Folks,
    I got this response on the facebook FS5 page:

"Hi Sam, Mandy from Zacuto- It sounds like the proximity sensor on the Gratical Eye. Have you tried adjusting the settings? email us at sales@zacuto.com for some troubleshooting help."

I'll be giving it a try tonight, along with a new cable for the Odyssey>Gratical connection.
    Adjusting the settings..? AFAIK its either off or on..? basically its a more than decent OLED EVF for half the price as others.. but the sensor is a no starter.. might as well not have it there..I dont know if newer Eyes have an improved sensor..I bought it up with them ages ago.. didnt really get an concrete reply.. I guess they are not going to admit its rubbish..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Adjusting the settings..? AFAIK its either off or on..? basically its a more than decent OLED EVF for half the price as others.. but the sensor is a no starter.. might as well not have it there..I dont know if newer Eyes have an improved sensor..I bought it up with them ages ago.. didnt really get an concrete reply.. I guess they are not going to admit its rubbish..
    I think mine is pretty recent and the sensor still doesn't work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast