1. Collapse Details
    5d Mark iii with Zhiyun Crane 2 balancing
    hi all,

i have 5d mark iii + 16-35 f4 and am using it with zhiyun crane 2.

even after watching tons of tutorial on youtube, i am confused with balancing 5d 3 on my zhiyun crane 3.

i am not sure if my cam is balanced on crane 2. The problem is, after balancing, the camera remains stationary on tilt axis i.e it remains in the same postilion that i leave it. But it does not remain so on roll axis. On the roll axis, if i leave it in any position, it will come back to its horizontal position. it will not remain in same position on roll axis.

does this mean my camera is not properly balanced on roll axis?

what do i need to do?

pls. help.

regards,

2. Collapse Details
    Many people dont 'get' that gimbals need to balance in all three axes

If you camera is sitting too low it can be easy to make it sit flat but the CofM is below the nodal point of the gimbal.

Dont worry about making it sit perfectly flat worry about it not moving much when you hold the (un powered gimbal) in any orientation.

3. Collapse Details
    i do balance the camera on all the three axis as shown in youtube turtorials.

sorry but i didn't get what u meant by "....worry about it not moving much when you hold the (un powered gimbal)" in any orientation."

4. Collapse Details
    But it does not remain so on roll axis. On the roll axis, if i leave it in any position, it will come back to its horizontal position

This shows that it is not balanced in all three axes. If it were there would be no gravitational force to induce any movement.

sorry but i didn't get what u meant by "....worry about it not moving much when you hold the (un powered gimbal)" in any orientation."

In realty none of are going to create perfect balance. The thing to try and get right is the thing moving minimally even if it sits off by a few degrees.

I think your Z (upright axis) has got the camera CofM below the nodal point, ie your camera the setting is bottom heavy.

Try moving the camera up a few MM

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    But it does not remain so on roll axis. On the roll axis, if i leave it in any position, it will come back to its horizontal position

This shows that it is not balanced in all three axes. If it were there would be no gravitational force to induce any movement.

In realty none of are going to create perfect balance. The thing to try and get right is the thing moving minimally even if it sits off by a few degrees.

I think your Z (upright axis) has got the camera CofM below the nodal point, ie your camera the setting is bottom heavy.

Try moving the camera up a few MM
    will try and let you know.

6. Collapse Details
    i am not able to get the crane 2 balance on roll axis with 5d mark 3 + 16-35 f4 lens.
    if i attach 50 mm 1.8 to my 5d, it will balance on roll axis i.e it will remain in same position on roll axis in whatever position i leave it in.

However, with 16-35 f4, it will roll back to horizontal position on roll axis.

anyone else facing same issue?

Is this combo heavy for crane 2 who's max capacity is 3.2 kg?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by payal_choksi View Post
    i am not able to get the crane 2 balance on roll axis with 5d mark 3 + 16-35 f4 lens.
    if i attach 50 mm 1.8 to my 5d, it will balance on roll axis i.e it will remain in same position on roll axis in whatever position i leave it in.

However, with 16-35 f4, it will roll back to horizontal position on roll axis.

anyone else facing same issue?

Is this combo heavy for crane 2 who's max capacity is 3.2 kg?
    The issue is that your center of gravity is too extreme with a lens that length in this set up.
    The further you extend outwards front and back the less weight capacity exists beyond your center point.
    This means that a front heavy lens is much more susceptible to throw the motors off with more extreme moves.
    Better to keep your camera lens setups as compact and close in to the balancing point as possible.

One other thing, as you raise the center of gravity (the higher your camera is from the plate) the less load capacity of the gimbal.
    This is why for instance, fluid head manufacturer's such as OConnor give lower weight ratings at 6", 8" and 10" above the head.
    It is equally true the longer a rig is across the length of a fluid head.
    It creates less stability and less capacity to control a charge as the speed of a pan increases.

Equally, if a lens is off center of a camera body, like on the Canon 5D MIII, it means that the center of balance may not even be under the camera itself.
    This too can create issues with horizontal balancing. I am not saying it cannot be done with this setup. We have clearly seen it before. However, it is more fragile and requires more precision.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-05-2018 at 03:04 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    The issue is that your center of gravity is too extreme with a lens that length in this set up.
    The further you extend outwards front and back the less weight capacity exists beyond your center point.
    This means that a front heavy lens is much more susceptible to throw the motors off with more extreme moves.
    Better to keep your camera lens setups as compact and close in to the balancing point as possible.
    do you think the balance be achieved by re-balancing or is it just not possible with this lens?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by payal_choksi View Post
    do you think the balance be achieved by re-balancing or is it just not possible with this lens?
    Yes, I do think that you can balance with this lens. You just need to be aware that you are going to be very near the right side of the crane because the lens is not centered in the middle of the camera and that the center of gravity has a much smaller sweet spot than on a more compact setup. It's going to take many micro adjustments to get there.

It also means that more extreme movements and things that put greater multi axis strain on the motors (like shooting inside a moving car on a bumpy street) are more likely to throw the camera off with such a front heavy lens swinging around.