Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Back after almost 10 years! - need a new camera! Suggestions please
    SO....I took a long brake after leaving my camera equipment in my car and having it stolen. Need something to have fun with and shoot. Anyone have any recommendations for cameras around $1000. Also is there a better section to post this question in?

2. Collapse Details
    Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about your history and the unfortunate thievery of your gear! Is this camera for personal use or professional use? What type of work do you do? What type of deliverables are your clients looking for? Do you have any lighting/audio/support gear already?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    For around that price I'd go GH4. Pretty well rounded unless you want to do low light shooting.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Everyone,

Truth be told I started with a DVX100 then moved to a canon 5d MK 2. I was always more impressed with video cameras than SLR's for some reason so thats why i was thinking the black magic pocket would be a good choice. I find the SLRs to give off that fragmented or "jitter" video look more than the video cameras. Thank you for any help and suggestions. If I would be shooting a film i would be hiring audio and lighting ppl. There will be quite a few low light shoots for my next short.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post
    SO....I took a long brake after leaving my camera equipment in my car and having it stolen. Need something to have fun with and shoot. Anyone have any recommendations for cameras around $1000. Also is there a better section to post this question in?
    Hi i have a Panasonic GH5 and like it a lot but i also have a http://www.trustedreviews.com/review...mix-dmc-fz2000 for the price its superb vastly superior to the GH2 which i owned several years ago,its all in one no extra lenses needed,good stills as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwxXescXEGc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqNUC_pFmJg
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...FZ2000+footage Superb camera.
    Last edited by flinty; 03-24-2018 at 12:58 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    WHats everyones opinion of the GH2? i dont need 4 k its just for you tube short films i make.

7. Collapse Details
    The GH2 is a great camera especially hacked. I wouldn't use it over 800 iso generally though. Dynamic range and ISO performance is lacking compared to modern SLR's.

The G6 is also a good option for 1080 60p, that is if you need 60fps. Its also a bit better at high ISO's, 1600 isn't bad.

For around $1000 the GH4 is a good option. The Sony A7S is also a good option if you need low light performance.

For low light though a G6 with fast glass isn't bad, espiecally with a speedbooster.

Depends if you want to invest more money in the base camera or in glass.

An A7S is around $1200 used. GH4 is around $700. A GH2/G6 is around $150-$300

8. Collapse Details
    I contracted with a young lady (by my standards) to get me some B-roll on a 2 camera shoot. She asked if she could work with her "GH4" instead of her 12lb monster. No problem I said. She shot some beautiful stuff! I was really surprised how well it cut with my mid price 4K camera's footage. She had a fast prime lens mounted and her low light stuff looked great.

Go for the GH4!!!

9. Collapse Details
    I just saw a used Canon C100 Mark II on eBay starting bid is listed at $999, you might head over there and have a look at it or maybe look for an older C100 MK I?

10. Collapse Details
    Welcome back! You might want to head over to Vistek in Ottawa and see if they have the Sony try before you buy program. Here in Montreal Lozeau offers it and you can take out two Sony cameras or bodies for three days no charge on trial with no commitment to buy. It is a great way to try out cameras. Obviously the replies so far have been Panasonic and Canon users, all fine cameras as are Sony cameras. You can also rent from Vistek and probably Henry's on Bank.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    2x DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    Teradek Vidiu kit-BM WebPresenter/Open Broadcaster & WireCast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast