1. Collapse Details
    Mute live vocal track in Vegas
    Bronze Member
    Hey guys--

Do you know how to mute your vocal track while recording it so all you hear is the music in your headphones while you're singing/recording? I've tried everything I can think of with no luck.

Btw, I'm recording through a Mackie 802 VLZ mixer into an M-Audio Delta 1010.

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I found a solution that works. The problem was that while monitoring through the headphone jack on the Mackie mixer I couldn't mute my vocal while recording.

I have a home stereo receiver with a headphone jack. I plugged the tape inputs from the mixer into the receiver and monitored the music through there instead.

Why on earth would I want to do this, you ask? I just find hearing my own voice through headphones disconcerting while trying to sing. I'm no pro singer so every little thing helps.

3. Collapse Details
    Have you tried turning input monitoring off on the audio track? I don't recall whether this is any different in earlier versions of Vegas but in v15 you click on the Record Input icon (the one that looks a little like a flow chart, in between the Arm for Record button and the Track FX). There you have a choice that allows you to select Input Monitoring Off, On or Auto. Input monitoring lets you hear (or not hear) what you're recording. If you're using an earlier version of Vegas you might find the icon is elsewhere or the function is in a menu somewhere, but I am sure this has been a long standing feature in Vegas. Hope that's useful!
    www.vit-media.com
    www.classicmachinefilms.co.uk

Cameras: Panasonic AF101, GH2, GH3, GH4
    Primes: Nokton Voigtlander 25mm f0.95, Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm macro f2.8,
    Samyang/Rokinon 85mm T1.5
    Zooms: Tokina 11-16mm,
    Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8, Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm f2.8, Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I'm using Vegas 13 and it has that feature. I tried it but it didn't work for me because of the way I was monitoring--I was using the headphone jack on the Mackie mixer and that didn't allow me to mute the channel I was recording through. So it's not really a Vegas problem after all. The workaround solution I described above works well.

5. Collapse Details
    Great, if that solution is easiest for you then no need to try and get too complicated! If, however, you ever do want to get it working without having to go through the home stereo then you would need to use the 1010's software patchbay/router and configure your I/O from there. I had a 1010 about fifteen years ago but I doubt I could remember how to do that now! I'm sure there are plenty of online tutorials though. Alternatively, could you configure the ALT 3-4 on your Mackie so that only the backing music gets to the headphones and not the vocals? Again, if the solution you've got works OK then it might not be worth the effort. Cheers.
    www.vit-media.com
    www.classicmachinefilms.co.uk

Cameras: Panasonic AF101, GH2, GH3, GH4
    Primes: Nokton Voigtlander 25mm f0.95, Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm macro f2.8,
    Samyang/Rokinon 85mm T1.5
    Zooms: Tokina 11-16mm,
    Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8, Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm f2.8, Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
    Great, if that solution is easiest for you then no need to try and get too complicated!

I had a 1010 about fifteen years ago but I doubt I could remember how to do that now!

Again, if the solution you've got works OK then it might not be worth the effort. Cheers.
    Yeah, it's a simple re-routing to the home stereo and I only need it for vocal tracking. For all other tracking needs, the routing can stay the same.

I've had the Delta 1010 since 2000. Around 2010 I had to replace 3 capacitors but other than that it's still going strong.

I bought a budget Neumann mic--the TLM 102-- and what's disconcerting about recording with this setup is hearing how clean and clear my vocals are in my headphones. I can't handle it. LOL.
    Last edited by Viscount Omega; 03-17-2018 at 08:42 AM.