Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Drone - Major Liability Issue
    Here's a drone liability I would not have considered. That's going to cost dearly.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/drone-blam...opstories.html

2. Collapse Details
    I didn't need any further convincing to stay far away from drones. Rarely do I receive requests for drone footage. When I do I pass the request along to someone who is braver than I.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    How do we know it was from a UAS? Do we have the melted hulk anywhere to prove this? Not saying it is impossible, but with the newest generation of batteries it is highly unlikely! That said, if it was a discount toy, then it might be made with the cheaper batteries that don't have the chemistry to prevent fires. The modern hobby Lipo has additional chemicals in them to prevent the raging fires that you've probably seen on youtube. Those days passed a long time ago.

Again, not saying impossible, saying it is unlikely unless I see the burned hulk and in which case they should release it because the RC community would be able to identify pretty much anything based on what was left over. Trust me when I say that the RC community in general has a very strong interest in keeping things friendly with the government when possible. And if it was a DJI, just ask DJI for the flights that occurred in that area around that same time, they have logs of anything that hasn't been hacked.

4. Collapse Details
    Also the one person that I know who does fly professionally carries a very high level of insurance. Wouldn't cover all of this damage, but I think he has a million dollar liability policy. He also makes $2600 for a 10 hour day.

5. Collapse Details
    Take this with a huge pinch of salt. Drones routinely get blamed for things that they had nothing to do with.

I have a commercial drone license, my liability cover is 20million. A fire extinguisher costs 19! Also, if this is a genuine drone incident and the operator didn't have approval for his flight, I'm pretty sure his liability insurance will be null and void.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    For hobby use he wouldn't have needed any approval as long as he was outside the 5 mile airport boundary.

Again, I need a statement from the user (prefer on camera), or pictures of the burned hulk before I will believe this story. And just because it comes from a large news organization, they still get things wrong and blame the evil drones for things that are not a drone's fault.

Like Monty Python's rabbit, these damn drones can take your head off with a single bite from a prop.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    For hobby use he wouldn't have needed any approval as long as he was outside the 5 mile airport boundary.
    Yep.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

8. Collapse Details
    If at all, manufacture of drone components is self regulated. If the same standards were applied that applied to GA aircraft most folks wouldn’t be able to afford to fly them and technological advancement would be severely curtailed. Hopefully some new battery tech will come online soon. Note that flying as a hobbyist doesn’t resolve one of financial risk.

9. Collapse Details
    The title of the news story includes "national forest wildfire" which evokes images of a raging FOREST FIRE, when in fact from the photos this looks like just a GRASS fire. Also, was it 35 acres, or 335 acres? Story cites both numbers. Maybe we need aerial drone footage to show the scope of the damage ;-)

Thanks

Jeff

10. Collapse Details
    I'm sure xjet on Youtube will have some kind of comment on this, but it seems like facts are once again slim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast