1. Collapse Details
    Are you writing right now?
    Curious, are you writing at this very moment? If so, how are you staying on track? What was your excuse for going on dvxuser? Mine, is I'm trying to, but I got distracted.
    Drone Pilot at Drone Trilogy
    www.DroneTrilogy.com

2. Collapse Details
    LOL. Yes, I am.

I just get to a point where I say, "I gotta get this s*%t done" and commit myself to writing a certain amount every day. I imagine that life is passing me by and if I don't start creating some quality content I'm going to be just another meaningless name on a tombstone. So, I just say, "F this. I'm going to do this now." And then I don't stop writing and keep writing every day until I finish the project.

Of course, I take breaks here and there and will end up on sites like this for research or ideas or whatever.

Also, once I start seeing the project come together and develop in front of me, I start getting extra motivation because I can see progress is actually being made.

Great question!

3. Collapse Details
    Tweaking a new play and a feature script based on another play i did in the summer. I write 5 days a week for about 5 hours a day. I come on the boards to hear about new equipment, etc. Good luck with yer writing. Personally I have found over the years its easier to write then not to. I just get very depressed if I don't write. And I'm not kind to myself verbally in my head. When I write the bullies in the old noggin' leave me alone. If I don't write they have a field day. As bullies are wont to do.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
    Curious, are you writing at this very moment? If so, how are you staying on track? What was your excuse for going on dvxuser? Mine, is I'm trying to, but I got distracted.
    Lingering just after the end of the first act. Keep bumping my head around with fears that my protagonist isn't empathetic enough, but mainly I'm trying to figure out how to head into the midpoint in a meaningful way.
    Keep telling myself "it will come... just give it time." lol... damn procrastination or maybe even fear :S

I think going out into life sometimes helps... or go to a museum. Go look at homeless people, or just people. Find the out of place ones or those who have small idiosyncracies. Sometimes they make little stories themselves just as a way of life. I also tried to think about friends or acquaintances who might have had unusual experiences or lives. Or hey... if you can get away with it, without looking creepy xD go to a playground... those city kinds with lots of kids and parents. It's interesting to see how other people behave with their kids. Even when amongst others, people can't hide their true selves completely and that little battle between social conduct and frustration and so on, have nice little details hidden. A look... a tone... a body posture.

Anyways... just braining out here! Happy writing!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin baggott View Post
    Tweaking a new play and a feature script based on another play i did in the summer. I write 5 days a week for about 5 hours a day. I come on the boards to hear about new equipment, etc. Good luck with yer writing. Personally I have found over the years its easier to write then not to. I just get very depressed if I don't write. And I'm not kind to myself verbally in my head. When I write the bullies in the old noggin' leave me alone. If I don't write they have a field day. As bullies are wont to do.
    How is your division between actual writing and research? Just curious. I would love to have 5 hours a day to write!

6. Collapse Details
    well that depends on the script. i wrote a film about simone de beauvoir and her affair with nelson algren a number of years ago and that was alot of research. Another script about John Ford - a lot of research. For some reason when I was younger the scripts seemed to call for more research - much less now. This last script I wrote - a character fooled around with santeria practices - so i had to research that. One thing i do now is I just start the script and see where it takes me. I might have a general idea where it's going, ex: the ending. Pinter writes like this. in the past I used to do a lot of mapping it out. i find it more exciting just seeing where it goes - though it tends to result in more stuff I have to throw out. For now I might get half way there and realize - I don't want to be here - etc.

7. Collapse Details
    After working in the TV world for the past few years and being obsessed with it, I'm working on a feature again! It's somewhere tonally between Eternal Sunshine and Burn After Reading. I'm not beating it out or outlining. I'm just writing the damn thing at 10 pages a day and it feels (so far) like my best work. It's liberating!

I haven't been on this board for years because I've been busy busy busy. But I'm excited about the new Pocket Cinema Camera that's coming out and I wanted to talk about it
    Screenwriter
    Los Angeles Center Studios Offices