Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan O. View Post
    You can use the small monitor for focusing since the image can be magnified, but you can only magnify it in the center. So if you're setting the focus and recording it works fine, if you have to change focus while recording you'd be much better off with a better monitor.
    There is a focus tool (with small squares) which is very helpful and can be used with the monitor.

It always comes with an AB-mount but you can either get an AB>V-lock adapter or just exchange it to a V-mount. I changed mine to a V-mount and it works great. It's easy to change it.

No, you have to record it to P2. I prefer shooting in 4K/UHD since I've noticed that the 2K footage (no crop) is more prone to have colour moiré in it.
    Thanks. I had assumes it would need a swap out of the battery mount but a shame that it isn't offered in both configs.

2. Collapse Details
    So after IBC, is Varicam LT still a viable option for new owner/operators? Whats everyone's opinion?

Since the tech is about 3 years old, how much more can you push it with firmware upgrades? Unless it can be updated with a much more recent faster processor, faster SDI, etc...then firmware possibilities of greater features would be possible.

3. Collapse Details
    The next real improvement to camera technology in my opinion would be the addition of global shutter. Until then Varicams are still great cameras. Adding resolution does not make for better looking images, because size of skin pores is not decreasing as fast as resolutions increasing. ))))

V35 color rendition is still top class. From my test with S1H, it is not there yet.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I'm on my 4th TV series with the Varicam (2nd with the LT). We met recently wth the good folks at Panasonic, they are always open to hearing thoughts and concerns and wishlist items to pass on to the factory, so it will keep evolving. Of course it is no longer the only game in town with dual ISO's (Sony and RED having followed into that modality) but it is a LOT of bang for the buck, especially with the revised pricing of the past year.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Derrick View Post
    The next real improvement to camera technology in my opinion would be the addition of global shutter...
    Panasonic 8K camera with an organic sensor has global shutter. It should be ready for the next summer Olympics. After that, they ain't talking.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I'm on my 4th TV series with the Varicam (2nd with the LT).
    Love your work Charles: https://vimeo.com/198946641

...Panasonic...are always open to hearing thoughts and concerns and wishlist items to pass on to the factory, so it will keep evolving.
    Perhaps it's time to start a new LT2/EVA2 wishlist thread :-)
    Carlos Garcia-Diaz
    TV Production/Studio Manager

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Thank you Carlos--sorry I didn't see your question on Vimeo a few months back, I answered it there but yes, Alexa for Pirate Chanty. There is a whole thread stickie about Key & Peele here on dvxuser where I break down a bunch of sketches, including that one.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    It loves batteries .... which should not be a major issue with corporate doc ...
    47 Watts for the body alone, and 77 Watts when every accessory power port is maxed out. That's not to bad compared to quite a few others.
    https://www.paguk.com/sites/default/...tion_Table.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Good luck finding one ... backordered everywhere ... and I doubt due to a long line of buyers. Too many new new thangs to tempt
    the public ...
    I don't know, the production facility seems more than capable to make enough cameras : http://www.fdtimes.com/pdfs/articles...ur-Feb2015.pdf
    There are indeed some new toys with good dr and a decent IQ to tempt anyone thinking about an LT at this price. But when you start comparing roll-off and color reproduction in the same (rough) price range, the LT is a clear winner. If you don't absolutely want/need the full-frame esthetic, the LT rivals even the very best super35 camera's money can buy up to 60p. This sensor reproduces colors like nothing else out there as far as I'm concerned.
    https://www.dvinfo.net/article/acqui...demo-reel.html

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123