1. Collapse Details
    Odyssey 7Q+/SDI Out Questions
    I've been playing around with my Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+ and EVA1 and have come up with the following questions. Any info or experiences appreciated.

1) I cannot get the EVA1 to trigger recording on the Odyssey. Settings are correct on both devices (to my knowledge) and Odyssey even shows the trigger as red (means it is ready to go). When you hit record on the EVA1 it begins recording and shows the red dot beside the SDI indicator but the Odyssey does not begin recording.

2) Is it possible to simultaneously record 4K out via SDI and 2K/1080p internally via the SD cards?

3) Currently, if you want to record with the Odyssey, you need to turn the SDI Indicator off or else you will be recording all the indicator info. However, if I don't want to run another monitor of some type dedicated to showing that info, it's quite a menu maze to be turning it on and off on the SDI feed throughout a shoot. I'd like to be able to program this as a user switch (SDI Out Indicator on/off) but it's not listed as an option in the User Switches. Is is possible for this to be made programmable?

2. Collapse Details
    1. On the O7Q, set the camera type to one of the others (Sony, Canon, ARRI). This makes the trigger work. I think it's a bug in the Odyssey firmware -- I've made Convergent Design aware.

2. No, the internal recording is the maximum limiting factor for the outputs. You can record internally in 4K and output 4K or HD, but not the other way around.

3. I will put in the request. Please note that this could be dangerous, because if you're not paying attention you could very easily record the wrong thing.

BUT I HAVE A SUGGESTION!

Odyssey offers Dual-HD and Dual-4K recording. Dual-HD is included on the O7Q and Dual-4K is available with the Apollo option. You can output a clean signal over SDI and a signal with overlays via HDMI (or vice versa). You can switch between them with a single tap on the Odyssey's screen, and you could even choose to always monitor the signal with the overlays even as you record the other one in the background. You don't have to worry about recording the wrong signal as you'll be recording both simultaneously. Just don't bother to transfer the recordings off the SSD from the signal with the overlays. That's an easy setting in the CD ProRes Transfer Tool.

The only caveat to this is that you will have to purchase the Apollo option to do this in 4K. But it gets you just what you asked for in an elegant way that doesn't run the danger of ruining your recordings with overlays burned into the image.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    1. On the O7Q, set the camera type to one of the others (Sony, Canon, ARRI). This makes the trigger work. I think it's a bug in the Odyssey firmware -- I've made Convergent Design aware.

2. No, the internal recording is the maximum limiting factor for the outputs. You can record internally in 4K and output 4K or HD, but not the other way around.

3. I will put in the request. Please note that this could be dangerous, because if you're not paying attention you could very easily record the wrong thing.

BUT I HAVE A SUGGESTION!

Odyssey offers Dual-HD and Dual-4K recording. Dual-HD is included on the O7Q and Dual-4K is available with the Apollo option. You can output a clean signal over SDI and a signal with overlays via HDMI (or vice versa). You can switch between them with a single tap on the Odyssey's screen, and you could even choose to always monitor the signal with the overlays even as you record the other one in the background. You don't have to worry about recording the wrong signal as you'll be recording both simultaneously. Just don't bother to transfer the recordings off the SSD from the signal with the overlays. That's an easy setting in the CD ProRes Transfer Tool.

The only caveat to this is that you will have to purchase the Apollo option to do this in 4K. But it gets you just what you asked for in an elegant way that doesn't run the danger of ruining your recordings with overlays burned into the image.
    Much appreciated! Thanks for the quick response and detailed info.