1. Collapse Details
    Sony announced the successful production of a new Global Shutter sensor.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Where are all my global shutter fans at?

3. Collapse Details
    I am a global-shutter fan, but what is the news? Sony and others have been making global-shutter CMOS sensors for some time now. Their entire Pregius line is global shutter. Here's a promising one I called out in 2014, but no one made the next Ikonoskop, http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...tops-164-5-FPS

CMOSIS and others also have been making global shutter, but as you may know the handicap has been dynamic range. Typically global shutter CMOS sensors have a native dynamic range of about 10 f-stops. What's nice about Sony's is that they actually have decent dynamic range: 12 or 13 stops. Come to think of it, we all know about Sony's F55, which has 14 stops. So again I am not quite sure what's newsworthy about this. Sorry. But hey, I welcome any and all movement toward more global-shutter cameras.

4. Collapse Details
    The news here is that it's a back-illuminated, stacked sensor. Basically they make one chip with all the photosensitive stuff, and another one with the ADCs, and them stick them together. Similar to what the RX100 IV sensor did for memory and processing, but this time used in order to incorporate a big number fo ADCs.

It's promising, but yes, not too much to get excited about. Read-out noise is waaaaay higher than it would be with a conventional design, which means DR is not great (70dB is 11.7 stops, so, you're getting 12-bit ADC perfomance with 14-bit ADCs). I like that they're trying new stuff, it seems like eventually we'll have global shutter with very limited drawbacks, but we're not there yet.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I'd just be happy if Sony could make a back-illuminated, stacked sensor paired with color science without Magenta skin tones ;-)
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.